Gibson Brands Forums

Almost bought a new ES-339 today

davidl

Was in a local shop picking up a few items and this beautiful red ES-339 called out to me. I had to go over and say hello. What a beautiful guitar. This one had the 50's style neck which I thought might be a little fatter than I'm used to. No problem at all. Plays beautifully. The setup was perfect and the sound was awesome. My wife gave me the green light but I failed to pull the trigger. I've already spent about $10,000 on guitars and stuff this year and am feeling a little guilty. I didn't have the $2,000 cash but can finance it at 0% for one year. With $500 down, It works out to $150 per month. I wish I had worked out the math when I was there. Now I'm scratching my head. I already have a LP Robot and a 1960 VOS historic re-issue LP. Do I really need another guitar? Does need have anything to do with it? I'll be thinking this one over all weekend. If my wife gives me the slightest nudge, I'll go back next week and hopefully not be so gun shy. Actually I have to go back next week. I've got a travel case for a portable PA (Stagepass 300) on order and it should be in next week.

Decisions, decisions.

What are your experiences with the 339?

Dave

Great guitar and different from what you already have... That finance deal is sweet. If you can swing the $150 a month with no problems go for it.... I love mine, I didn't need it either though ](*,) ...

The $150 wouldn't be an issue.

I just got a new truck a couple of months ago and live in the province of Quebec, Canada where it is legislated that we have snow tires on all vehicles. That means new tires and winter rims and air pressure sensor belts for the rims. Total about $2000. This sucks. My truck is 4 wheel drive.

Not that it is a choice between a guitar and tires but still a good chunk of coin.

Dave

I have two ES-339's and 1 336.....I use em for open tunings and slide....since breaking my back the smaller body of the 339 and 336 makes it possible for me to keep getting that 335 tone without the size that makes it hard to play right now till I have surgery on my neck.

I don;t know where you got those prices but I now ya pay a bit more for a FIGURED TOP.,.just remember that top does not make it sound better.....it just costs more and pisses you off more when ya scratch it for the first time.

I just picked up TWO 339's after selling two of em....I got two black 339's for 1400.00 each BRANDY NEW !!!!

Please be careful WITH THAT GC CREDIT CARD......38% INTEREST IS A REAL LOT !!! !!!

You go over one day past the 12 months and your screwed they'll add 12 months of interest onto the amount you own.

Plus buying a used one will save ya a ton and right now with the economy being what it is there are some great deals out there right now.....

GO TO WWW.GBASE.COM the quality of dealers and guitars you'll look at will surely keep you from EBAY for GOOD !!!

WHAT surprised ME WAS I THOUGHT THAT THE 336 WOULD HAVE GREAT TONE BEING A one piece body ,neck AND THEN THE TOP IS CUT OFF AND REPLACED WITH A maple cap

THE TONE WAS NOT WHAT I WANTED.....

ONCE I REPLACED THE 57 CLASSICS WITH A SET OF 1959 PAF';S ALONG WITH SOME VINTAGE BROWN WRAPPER CAPS N POTS FROM THE RIGHT ERA THIS GUITAR NOW SINGS BUT IT WAS DEAD BEFORE NO SUSTAIN, NO PERSONALITY..... oh yeah this was also in NATURAL so to get rid on the the clear coat was easy so this is now breathing wood and it now sounds like i hoped a 336 would sound!!!!

ENJOY THAT 339...and YES YOU DO NEED ANOTHER GUITAR !!!!

St James

i WOULD HAVE THOUGHT WITH IT BEING ONE PIECE IT WOULD HAVE GREAT SUSTAIN AND A TON OF WARMTH

I just got a ES-339 in Vintage Sunburst. I bought mine used and saved a little over $700 off a new MF price. I did a clean up and a new set of strings and it looks like a new one. Very nice guitar and I am like you, I have several other Gibson's and Fender's. It wasn't that I needed this guitar, I wanted it.

I have not regretted getting this guitar and am loving it already. If you feel that guitar is calling your name, you should go for it. The ES-339 is one heck of a deal by Gibson Standards and one great guitar.

If I created a new thread everytime I almost bought a new guitar, half the threads in here would belong to me. Just sayin' [biggrin]

Almost bought one today, actually...

Hey Tim, It's been a while. So you must have 20 or thirty guitars by now... Am I right?

If I created a new thread everytime I almost bought a new guitar, half the threads in here would belong to me. Just sayin' [biggrin]

Almost bought one today, actually...

Its too bad that not all of us are in a position to almost buy a new guitar on a regular basis.

Please humour the rest of us that get a little excited over a new potential acquisition now and again.

David, it was a joke...relax. I did the exact same thing last week - went to L&M on a whim, found a guitar looking at me funny, tried it & liked what I heard. I had no intentions of buying a guitar but with their no interest deal, decided to get it. SG Classic in my case.

Hey Tim, It's been a while. So you must have 20 or thirty guitars by now... Am I right?

You should talk!

I'm relaxing Tim,

I apologize for taking your comment the wrong way. I'm usually the one to say give the benefit of doubt until proven otherwise.

I'll be back at L & M next week. Completely tied up this weekend. And you're right, the 0% interest is a heck of a deal and on a guitar that is a heck of a deal.

And to all the other Canadians here, Happy thanksgiving.

Gobble, gobble.

Dave

Was in a local shop picking up a few items and this beautiful red ES-339 called out to me. I had to go over and say hello. What a beautiful guitar. This one had the 50's style neck which I thought might be a little fatter than I'm used to. No problem at all. Plays beautifully. The setup was perfect and the sound was awesome. My wife gave me the green light but I failed to pull the trigger. I've already spent about $10,000 on guitars and stuff this year and am feeling a little guilty. I didn't have the $2,000 cash but can finance it at 0% for one year. With $500 down, It works out to $150 per month. I wish I had worked out the math when I was there. Now I'm scratching my head. I already have a LP Robot and a 1960 VOS historic re-issue LP. Do I really need another guitar? Does need have anything to do with it? I'll be thinking this one over all weekend. If my wife gives me the slightest nudge, I'll go back next week and hopefully not be so gun shy. Actually I have to go back next week. I've got a travel case for a portable PA (Stagepass 300) on order and it should be in next week.

Decisions, decisions.

What are your experiences with the 339?

Dave

This works for me. If I don't have the cash, I can't afford the equipment.

I've already spent about $10,000 on guitars and stuff this year and am feeling a little guilty. I didn't have the $2,000 cash but can finance it at 0% for one year. With $500 down, It works out to $150 per month. I wish I had worked out the math when I was there. Now I'm scratching my head. I already have a LP Robot and a 1960 VOS historic re-issue LP. Do I really need another guitar? Does need have anything to do with it?

Dave

that's the problem mate, when you see a guitar and fall in love instantly then your heart rules your head...buy now think about how i can afford it later, don't worry though it's a common illness [biggrin]

I am sorry if it sounded like I was boasting about my ability to buy a guitar whenever I want to.

That reason is I practiced my *** of as a kid and when the chance camne I did my best , had great connections and the PUNK SCENE was just starting in NEW YORK.

I was working as a roadie for the NEW YORK DOLLS and had Johnny Thunders who was the MAN in NYC at the time and he got me my first band and eventually I ended up playing with him in the Heartbreakers.

Trust me I played a 56 TELE for YEAARS I got it when I was 9 years old and then it was just a used TELE and cost me 150.00.

Today maybe it is worth a bit more !!!

Eventually my luck HOT and I was playing with the Pretenders, LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH and even played for BB KING in 86 for awhile.

I am certainly FAR from the best probably far from the middle of all the guitarists in NEW YORK but what I did have was a love and desire to get out my words in song.....

Having just gotten discharged from the USMC after 13 months in NAMN I needed an outlet and MUSIC was it.

Basically what I am saying is I WAS LUCKY....

There are MANY , on this page alone who are probably better than I but sometimes it;s not whose the best but who fits in with the chemistry of the band and can write with those 4 other people.

I eventually ended up on tour in EUROPE with IGGY POP n BOWIE and that was when it all came together in a real way we left STIFF RECORDS for ARISTA with a 3 record deal...this was when bands got paid not like todays deals I fel bad for todays musicians you work your *** of and get offered a SINGLE ON ITUNES and depending on how that works out the rest will be decided on that single.

After that another 3 record deal with RCA....a few world tours and a few EUROPEAN TOURS and to many USA tours !!!

All I can say is to all you guys paying your dues it took me 15 years of hard work to become an overnight sensation !!!

NEVER GIVE UPO ON YOUR DREAMS...if you do you'll live your life always saying WHAT IF????? FIND OUT FOR YOU !!!!

What sucked was havingmade it between 74 and 88 I was named PUNK as were most bands of that wera...others left and were titled NEW WAVE...bands like BLONDIE, ELVIS COSTELLO,TALKING HEADS mAdwe the break thoseof us who stayed true to our roots even though my bands name was VOODOO FUNK ya think they would have gotten the idea that we were not PUNK withthe word FUNK in our name???NOPE

EVENTUALLY I re-invented myself and began to play what was my true love THE BLUES....since then I have been approached by ALLIGATOR RECORDS and was to do a come back album with WILLY DeVILLE prioor to him passing.

Music is in me and if and when I can no longer polay i'll produce or work with younger bands now I am doing ok on what I made and saved.

TRUST ME IT WAS NO OVERNIGHT SENSATION BS it was HARD WORK and what I acheived I earned and deserved.

BUT one day IT MAY BE YOU WRITING THIS TO EXPLAIN TO OTHERS HOW YOU SEEM TO BE BUYING NEW AX:S ALL THE TIME.....

I have more respect for the STARVING MUSICIAN who plays a set for 100 bucks so they can get a gig for 200 bucks....your day is coming JUST PLEASE NEVER STOP BELIEVEING IN YOURSELF !@!!!!!!

Sorry If my words made you guys feel bad it was NOT INTENTIONAL and I believe that somewhere in this forum is someone who will make it so keep practicing and someday you may be writing the same thing to a group of younger guys than you.

ST JAMES

RIP THE JOINT !!!!!

Archived