Gibson Brands Forums

What is wrong with this?

Silenced Fred

Pass.

I prefer to buy it new and make it my own by wearing it in myself. Same with everything. Especially clothing. It annoys me when I see trendy ironic people buying already ripped jeans because it's "cool". I break in my jeans in by working in them when I'm not wearing my nice 9-5 work duds.

I'm not really opposed to relics (although I don't think I'd buy one) but IMO the Road Worn guitars are pretty stupid.

They feel pretty good but the relic job is so poorly done that it's ridiculous. It's pretty obvious that some dude just hit it with some sandpaper real fast. I don't even think they feel better than say an American Standard. The American Standard has a satin neck which feels really nice IMO. The Road Worn necks have rough spots from heavy grit sandpaper. At least in my experience.

Hey, Fred, I've got one of those. I bought it from GC at the Dallas guitar show six or seven years ago. It has the same specs as the "NOS" Blues Jr. that GC offers, then relic-ed with a little artifical mojo. It's a great sounding amp. I think that price is a little high.

PubThread035b-1.jpg

Sounds like a good business to start. Not only will I offer to relic your equipment, I promise not to return it until it has become a collectors item. I will do all of this for only half the increase in value that my time puts on your equipment. ( Not responsible if value moves in the negative direction),

Mr. Natural- if you like it, good on ya. I don't care what stuff looks like, to me, the Road Worn stuff feels great. Maybe, those relic'd amps sound better than the standard version. If it sounds good, and feels good, who the hell cares?

I just laughed because it was relic'd AND used

"Relic" must be marketing speak for "Beat Up". As long as that Lawn Jart that poked a hole in the grill didn't penetrate the cone, I'd get it. Just as long as the price was drastically reduced from new.

Mr. Natural- if you like it, good on ya. I don't care what stuff looks like, to me, the Road Worn stuff feels great. Maybe, those relic'd amps sound better than the standard version. If it sounds good, and feels good, who the hell cares?

AND priced higher than a new one without the cacked-up tweed.

But I agree with you - what's up with a used/b-stock/scratch-and-dent relic'd item?

When Fender first introduced the Relic Strats and Teles years ago, an interviewer asked Billy Gibbons if he was interested in aquiring one. Billy said he wanted to wait until he could find a "mint" one.

Archived