Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Bands that your Friends hate...

freak show

I think most of my friends have shared my tastes in music more or less. For example, I have never hung out with guys who are into Rap, Pop, Techno or stuff like that. That isn't intentional. I just think similar people usually enjoy similar types of music -- at least that has been my experience.

But then again, there will always be disagreements. I have friends who love stuff that I don't. I can understand why they like a certain band, but it's just not my thing... That's cool.

But there is a band I have always loved: Mission of Burma. I can't even describe why I think this band is so great, but IMO they are something special. The weird thing is that nobody I know has ever been able to share my appreciation.

Do any of you like a band that your friends can't stand?

I think most of my friends have shared my tastes in music more or less. For example, I have never hung out with guys who are into Rap, Pop, Techno or stuff like that. That isn't intentional. I just think similar people usually enjoy similar types of music -- at least that has been my experience.

But then again, there will always be disagreements. I have friends who love stuff that I don't. I can understand why they like a certain band, but it's just not my thing... That's cool.

But there is a band I have always loved: Mission of Burma. I can't even describe why I think this band is so great, but IMO they are something special. The weird thing is that nobody I know has ever been able to share my appreciation.

Do any of you like a band that your friends can't stand?

Mars Volta

White Stripes

Foo Fighters

Nirvana

Band of Skulls

Arctic Monkeys

Brand New

Cage the Elephant

Crash Kings

Dead Weather

Flyleaf

The Frantic

The Heavy

Modest Mouse

Queens of the Stone Age

Sick Puppies

Soundgarden

WOlfmother

That band for sure, although I took my wife to see them this past summer and she was digging on songs from the Obliterati, namely Donna Sumeria.

Mine is the Brian Jonestown Massacre. Anton Newcombe is a very talented and twisted fellow and I cannot get my friends to dig on their stuff; even the hook filled nirvana of their best of Tepid Peppermint Wonderland.

My wife and daughter hate my music genre and I hate theirs. Does that count? They like, Lady GaGa, Black Eyed Peas, Techno, etc...

I like RUSH, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, 70's style classic rock etc...

You get the picture.

Fortunately I have my two guitar and bass playing sons on my side, so we outnumber them, but you know how women can be, car-rides with the whole family can get hairy. We finally developed a plan, they get to listen to one whole song then we get to listen to one whole song. Most of the time it works out, but my sons still complain when we have to listen to their music, and vice-versa. I just tell them to sit back and take a nap. But that rarely works... [cursing]

My wife and daughter hate my music genre and I hate theirs. Does that count? They like, Lady GaGa, Black Eyed Peas, Techno, etc...

I like RUSH, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, 70's style classic rock etc...

You get the picture.

Fortunately I have my two guitar and bass playing sons on my side, so we outnumber them, but you know how women can be, car-rides with the whole family can get hairy. We finally developed a plan, they get to listen to one whole song then we get to listen to one whole song. Most of the time it works out, but my sons still complain when we have to listen to their music, and vice-versa. I just tell them to sit back and take a nap. But that rarely works... [cursing]

I can relate.

The wife and daughter are not into Rush, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and classic rock.

The boys on the other hand... well they're boys. They love it.

Mars Volta

White Stripes

Foo Fighters

Nirvana

Band of Skulls

Arctic Monkeys

Brand New

Cage the Elephant

Crash Kings

Dead Weather

Flyleaf

The Frantic

The Heavy

Modest Mouse

Queens of the Stone Age

Sick Puppies

Soundgarden

WOlfmother

How could your friends not like the Sick Puppies? Take them to a show; the Sick Puppies flat KILL live. I have seen them twice and both time they torched the bands they were opening for.

`

With me it works the other way around. Friends

tend to have no opinion about stuff I dig, cuz I'll

go by myself to hear stuff thaz not on their radar.

I mention some bad experience, IOW some band

I regret going to check out, and friends will be like

"how can you say that? they are so great !"

Sometimes it's even more pro-active. As in how

Joe was on my case to see 'Hammill in Chains'

cuz "you're gonna love it, I'll repay your ticket if

I'm wrong !". I missed many Hammill shows until

finally I hit one, and there's Joe already there and

soooooo happy and excited that I finally made it.

Well, after suffering about 90 seconds of Hammill I

sneck out so as not to hurt Joe's feelings or rain on

his parade, and never bothered asking him to make

good on his "repay your ticket" promise.

I pretty much can't let ANYONE recommend stuff

to me .... and everyone keeps trying !

-------------------------------------------

They were all gonna have me insitutionalized cuz I

skipped free Stones tickets and instead paid all of

Five Whole Dollars to hear Sensemaya in a small

club. "How defugg can you be so fuggtup golem ?"

my friends wanna know. I tell them straight up, I

don't dig huge crowds, and Sensemaya is a much

better band than the Stones anyway. Jeeeezizz ....

was THAT ever good for some argument. But I only

said it cuz it was flat out true .... waaaaay beyond

subjectivity, into factuality. The "gray area" is real,

but it's not galaxy-wide.

`

.... don't have friends who like Leonard Cohen.

Good for you, you don't need any. Stay away

from people who like Leonard Cohen .... thaz

what Leonard Cohen does, and I'm sure that

he himself would advise you to do the same !

`

I guess I'm in the same situation of some of the other married guys here. I like Mountain, Cream, Zeppelin, etc. The wife calls it that old music I still listen to. What does she know. She married me!

Yup, the difference in music tastes between me and basically every girlfriend I've ever had were so radical that I hadn't even thought about including females in this topic. After years of rejection and suffering I have just started to assume that no female is ever going to like my music! [biggrin]

You're a lucky guy, evol: Not only did you get to see Mission of Burma. You obviously have a lady with amazing taste in music. The only way I could ever get my girlfriend to go to a show like that would be if the band was opening for Madonna... ](*,)

You're a lucky guy, evol: Not only did you get to see Mission of Burma. You obviously have a lady with amazing taste in music. The only way I could ever get my girlfriend to go to a show like that would be if the band was opening for Madonna... ](*,)

Thanks. Even though my wife cannot stand Sonic Youth, Les Savy Fav, and all of the Americana I play from time to time, she does get into Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks and Best Coast. Last month we saw Pavement and tomorrow we are hitting Deerhunter. I think it would be a lot different if I liked classic rock.

Archived