Gibson Brands Forums

the most historically accurate 59' burst model so far?

S t e v e

apparantly this is the best so far?

They always say that - don't buy into the hype. They're still not 100% accurate...and never will be.

The Rs were revamped for 2009 and are "the most historically accurate 59' burst model so far"

Next time the Rs are revamped, those will be "the most historically accurate 59' burst model so far."

Catch my drift?

That guitar should have the exact same neck as the real Green/Moore LP. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

My Pearly is the same. It's also the most historically accurate 59' burst model so far...

Go for it. I've tryed a couple of them at GC and they are sweet. Nice neck and easy to play. very comfortable.you won't be sorry if you buy it.

But you need to like the Green Mod. For me it's cool, but i don't like it all the time. That one on the link is a beauty.BigKahune is correct,

about the price.I'd look for a used one. I've seen them go for $5300 -$5500 used / 1 year old.

They always say that - don't buy into the hype. They're still not 100% accurate...and never will be.

The Rs were revamped for 2009 and are "the most historically accurate 59' burst model so far"

Next time the Rs are revamped, those will be "the most historically accurate 59' burst model so far."

Catch my drift?

That guitar should have the exact same neck as the real Green/Moore LP. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

My Pearly is the same. It's also the most historically accurate 59' burst model so far...

would you not want this model in your collection then?. as someone who is wanting a 59" would you recommend another model to me or do you think that i'd be making a mighty fine purchase with this model?

would you not want this model in your collection then?. as someone who is wanting a 59" would you recommend another model to me or do you think that i'd be making a mighty fine purchase with this model?

Please don't say I have a collection. I hate that phrase.

I'm sure that one you linked to is a sweet guitar but what I'm saying is don't buy into the "most historically accurate" hype. I'm not ripping on that guitar any. I was more so commenting on your subject line.

What do you want that guitar for? An investment? Pay homage to Green/Moore? Because it's a limited edition? Because you love that specific top? Because Melvyn Franks is one sexy b**ch? [biggrin]

Personally, I would not buy that guitar just for what it is. Don't buy it because it's a Moore, or whatever. Buy it because it knocks your socks off. Granted, you can't play that one first but have the guys at Sweetwater demo it for you. Have them compare that guitar to other LPs they have in stock. Tell them what you want in a guitar, how you expect it to sound/feel, and see how it fairs...according to their description. Heck, have them play it over the phone for you. I've done that before. It's $6,000 we're talking about here. Mitigate as much uncertainty/risk as possible.

It's "just" an R9 - an R9 with different pickups/orientation, different neck shape, unique finish, and a top that they picked out specifically for that run. It's not better or worst, just different. My Pearly is the same - SD pickups, neck profile that matches the real Pearly, unique finish, hand selected top (supposedly by Billy, himself). Other than what I just listed, it's a regular R9. The only reason I bought it is because it is an outstanding R9.

If you literally want an exact copy of a 1959 Les Paul, buy a replica and forget about Gibson. If you just want a high quality LP, the best Gibson makes, that is very similar to a '59 burst but not exact, buy a Gibson historic...any historic. If you do want an exact replica - Brazilian rosewood, hyde glue, inlays, the whole nine yards - PM me and I'll suggest a place that makes them for around $6,000. It'll be the same as a 1959 Les Paul but it won't be a Gibson.

That Melvyn Franks will certainly have better resale value than a regular R9 and any replica (if that matters to you) but it's hard to predict how well they'll hold their value.

Please don't say I have a collection. I hate that phrase.

I'm sure that one you linked to is a sweet guitar but what I'm saying is don't buy into the "most historically accurate" hype. I'm not ripping on that guitar any. I was more so commenting on your subject line.

What do you want that guitar for? An investment? Pay homage to Green/Moore? Because it's a limited edition? Because you love that specific top? Because Melvyn Franks is one sexy b**ch? [biggrin]

Personally, I would not buy that guitar just for what it is. Don't buy it because it's a Moore, or whatever. Buy it because it knocks your socks off. Granted, you can't play that one first but have the guys at Sweetwater demo it for you. Have them compare that guitar to other LPs they have in stock. Tell them what you want in a guitar, how you expect it to sound/feel, and see how it fairs...according to their description. Heck, have them play it over the phone for you. I've done that before. It's $6,000 we're talking about here. Mitigate as much uncertainty/risk as possible.

It's "just" an R9 - an R9 with different pickups/orientation, different neck shape, unique finish, and a top that they picked out specifically for that run. It's not better or worst, just different. My Pearly is the same - SD pickups, neck profile that matches the real Pearly, unique finish, hand selected top (supposedly by Billy, himself). Other than what I just listed, it's a regular R9. The only reason I bought it is because it is an outstanding R9.

If you literally want an exact copy of a 1959 Les Paul, buy a replica and forget about Gibson. If you just want a high quality LP, the best Gibson makes, that is very similar to a '59 burst but not exact, buy a Gibson historic...any historic. If you do want an exact replica - Brazilian rosewood, hyde glue, inlays, the whole nine yards - PM me and I'll suggest a place that makes them for around $6,000. It'll be the same as a 1959 Les Paul but it won't be a Gibson.

That Melvyn Franks will certainly have better resale value than a regular R9 and any replica (if that matters to you) but it's hard to predict how well they'll hold their value.

thanks for the reply r9, if i buy it it won't be from sweetwater as i live in london, and there are two gibson dealers here in the uk that iv'e bought from before that have one or two in store...tbh i want an r9, the one above just fits the bill for me as you picked up on i'm a moore fan also it's the "greeny" replica and a custom shop, pride of ownership is what i feel in my heart...you know what i mean don't you [wub]

apart from melvyn being sexy (i'll have to google image him) [biggrin]

all of the above plus i think i can make that baby sing [blush]

Hmmmmm, Perhaps I'll wait until Gibson comes out with a "Historicaly accurate '59 burst" Limited Edition based upon a 2008 "Historicaly accurate '59 burst" which is more accurate than the previously available "Historicaly accurate '59 burst" which came close but did not meet the EXACT "Historicaly accurate specs" of the now no longer available 'original' "Historicaly accurate '59 burst", which itself was a bit inaccurate due to the fact that the weather in Hounduras affected the quality of the mahogany available at the time; although it is well known that the 'original' prototype made to help Gibson study what was needed to 'design' the 'best and most historicaly accurate '59 burst' was rejected to be put into full production because it happened to be so 'Historicaly' accurate that Gibson feared that if they were to produce a truely "Historicaly accurate '59 burst' would possibly devalue the 'current' collector prices being asked for the actual real deal '59 burst Les Pauls, which in turn would make it more difficult for Gibson to maintain a 'Proper price point' for their "Historicaly accurate '59 Les Paul bursts', which, of course, is a neccesity for Gibson to maintain. I mean, hello, if the price of a 'Historicaly accurate '59 burst' Les Paul were to fall below $6,000.00, what guitarist in their right mind would even consider buying one?? Perhaps every 'Historicaly accurate '59 burst' should be made from genuine mahogany which is certified to be at least 53 years old, and is 'factory' broken in by 71 year old guitar players who break each reissue '59 burst in by playing every song played on the acual '59 burst Les Pauls. Whew!!! Forgive my humor, as it is only meant to augment the other humorous comments on the subject. Of course, if I could afford one of these fine and wonderful '59 burst Les Pauls ( original and or reissue ) I would buy several. You all know that even two identical Les Pauls of any given model will feel and sound different, which in turn means that one can never possibly own too many Gibson Les Pauls. I have played several original '59 bursts, and what sweet guitars they are, so I do praise Gibson for making reissues; Just, couldn't they bing the price down a bit?

Archived