Gibson Brands Forums

Year of the Cat

cookieman15061

No ZK the sigh is because lately I just feel out of place here. Most of the threads the younger guys post leave me no point of reference since most of the songs and bands they talk about I've never heard of.

I knew this post would get barely a sniff by most but if some young pup is into good lyrics and fancies himself a storyteller this song is good education.

I, too, was thinking this might be a Blackie thread, though not disappointed with the song by Al Stewart. Brings back a lot of good memories from back when it first hit the airwaves. I agree about this place making one feel old sometimes. And I miss Blackie, too. And his cat.

No ZK the sigh is because lately I just feel out of place here. Most of the threads the younger guys post leave me no point of reference since most of the songs and bands they talk about I've never heard of.

I knew this post would get barely a sniff by most but if some young pup is into good lyrics and fancies himself a storyteller this song is good education.

Touche Cookie. Sorry I hijacked it. Keep it up. I'm with ya bro. B)

I know his stuff for the most part is on the mellow side but I loved this album. Al is a great story teller and this song has one of the greatest opening lines ever in popular music. Throw on a killer guitar and sax solo. Primo pop music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7LR46zrQU

msp_thumbup.gif

cookieman:

I dig it also. I have a whole concert on DVD, About a 12 foot stage. Everthing he did on it. It may still be available somewhere. If you were/are a Stewart fan it is an absolute must.[thumbup]

I know Jocko and I don't wanna make it a "oh whoa's me thread". I've really enjoyed the discussions, the incites and the misunderstandings these last couple years. lol

Many of the old guard have left or so it seems and I've been thinking about moving on myself but I'm hoping it passes.

Goood times.msp_thumbup.gif

The opening line is just killer.

On a morning from a Bogart movie

In a country where they turn back time

You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorie

contemplating a crime

and musically there's just so much going and it's very subtle but great.

One of my all time favorite albums.Picked up my first copy when i was in the Marine Corps in North Carolina.I belive it was 76 or 77.I had no idea who Al Stewart was,and had never herd any of the songs on this LP before.Kind of bought it on a whim,liked the cover art.

Nothing wrong with yoor choices Cookie.. His stuff is terrific.

Thanks for the post. [thumbup][thumbup]

If you don't mind..

An early one from Love Chronicals. (My Wife's from Brooklyn, we met when Love Chronicals was new).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fn7P-srG2M

Another great one if you like a little history. Sorry no real quality copies on youtube.

My CDs on the other hand still work fine.

I recall when this hit the air , my Father was in Vietnam for his second go round, and my Mother sang this endlessly. I lost my my father this year and Alzheimer's is ravaging my mother. Curious though, I heard her humming this tune a few weeks back. Paul Simon was a little to light for me in my youth, but as I age, I realize what a true talent he is. And yes.... I'm old!!!!!!!!!! [crying]

Archived