Gibson Brands Forums

Derek Trucks

LarryUK

I've just looked over the top ten finger players on the Gibson email.

Derek trucks is good. Never heard of him before.

The wonders of the internet!

As I've been away so long (25 years)who else am I missing?

Who should I check out?

I'm off to see Tommy Emmanuel next wednesday. That should be good.

Who should I check out?

But you didn't say what you thought of Trucks.... I think he's incredible, (only to be outdone by his wife).

Yup, Derek Trucks is an amazing player. I would love to see him and Warren Haynes together on stage.

I just saw Emmanuel a couple of months ago. It was unbelievable, but it was also humbling. For the next couple of days I didn't even want to look at my guitars...

I really liked him. I like good slide players. I like that he has an Indian feel to his playing.

I was driving one night and put a local station on (wm, West Midlands, Birmingham. UK) and it was an Asian network programme.

Anyway, They played a song that was a Bangra/Jazz fusion. It was really good. I didn't catch the artist's name and have regretted it since.

I like a fusion of styles. That's what attracted me to Derek.

Didn't he play with Dickey Betts and of course The Allman Broths. as well??

Derek Trucks tours with the Allman Bros, as does Warren Haynes. Not sure if DT played with them while Betts was still there or not.

And if you're checking out players, look no further than Jack Pearson!

I think Dickie was kicked out so Derek & Warren can play together.

Craig

Guitar World did a feature on the ABB about 6 months ago and they talked about this but can't remember the specifics. Seems DB got torqued at something and stormed out...maybe it was Trucks coming in, who knows...internet archives anyone?

Pearson also plays with the Allman's plus his own gigs. Very versatile (and humble) guy.

When Greg supposedly got off drugs he decided he didn't want Betts around cause Betts was still using. Nothing worse that a reformed sinner!! [biggrin]

True but it's about impossible to get off drugs if you are around them. Just saying.

I've always heard he left/got kicked out because of the drugs but mainly it was due to his holier than thou attitude.

Who should I check out?

My son and I saw him last spring, Tommy that is......amazing!!!

Trucks is my second favorite player after Warren Haynes, there both a lot more than good here's a You Tube of Warren and Derrek playing - Old Friends- that I must have watched 500 times and I still can't believe it.

Warren Is just cool also as I said in another post I was in the front row of his concert last night and I had a small handheld recorder that I was recording the show on. He had said it was OK so i wasn't hiding it at all, Instead of getting pissy when he saw me he just smiled walked over and pulled the playlist off the side of his amp and had his guitar tech bring it over to me saying they never play anything really the same this will help you name the songs.

Total class.

Here's the u-tube link I love. If I posted it right. I recorded a couple of great Iphone vids last night if anyone wants me to post them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UauECrCIYl8

Archived