Gibson Brands Forums

Post your favorite songs written for dead people.

Kimbabig

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Tears In Heaven' by Clapman comes to mind..Too bad it became an overplayed hit. ( For his son )

' Shooting Star' by Bad Company, but one could view that song as glorifying a musician's death.

If I may add; ' Box of Rain ' by the Grateful Dead; A touching song for Phil Lesh's father who was dying.

' Good Bye Norma Jean ' by Elton John for Marlyn Monroe

' The Living Years ' Paul Carrik

' Mellisa' by the Allman Brothers Band, for Duane.

' In Memory of Elizabeth Reed ' Allman Brothers Band, for Elizabeth Reed.

' The Pusher ' Steppenwolf

' Mamma Don't Go ' Lennon for his mom

' The Day The Music Died ' for Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper

Every song on Warren Zevon's last CD 'The Wind' about his coming death

' Shine On You Crazy Diamond ' Pink Floyd for Syd

' Never Without You' Ringo for George

' Grama Got Run Over By a Reindeer ' for Grama by, ah, hmmmmm

' Knock Me Down' RHCP for their druggie guitarest Hillel

Ah, ' In This River ' Black Label Society for Dimebag Darrell ( I think )

' Lady Luekiemia ' By Damian for my Father

' Come And See ' By Damian for John Lennon

And I gotta add, ' Down By The River ' by Neil Young; There's a story about who the song is for, but I don't remember it...I do remember covering that song in a band and extending it for 45 minutes or so.....Can't think of any others, but when I die I hope that there will be songs written for me !!!

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] B)

'Tears In Heaven' by Clapman comes to mind..Too bad it became an overplayed hit. ( For his son )

' Shooting Star' by Bad Company, but one could view that song as glorifying a musician's death.

If I may add; ' Box of Rain ' by the Grateful Dead; A touching song for Phil Lesh's father who was dying.

' Good Bye Norma Jean ' by Elton John for Marlyn Monroe

' The Living Years ' Paul Carrik

' Mellisa' by the Allman Brothers Band, for Duane.

' In Memory of Elizabeth Reed ' Allman Brothers Band, for Elizabeth Reed.

' The Pusher ' Steppenwolf for Shannon Hoon

' Mamma Don't Go ' Lennon for his mom

' The Day The Music Died ' for Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper

Great stuff Damian. The living years always reminds me of my own father's death, Paul Carrick wrote it about his I believe.

I'll add two "Abraham, Martin and John" by Rick Holler recorded by Dion for Abe Lincoln, Martin Luther King and John Kennedy.

and this one - no explanation needed:

Gar was a drummer, right ??? I've never heard of that band OHM Kimbabig, but that guitarist sounds a lot like the way I play, a lot; and I've been praticing to get back in shape for more recording projects.....Who is he ??? And thanks for the thread.....

Gar was a drummer, right ??? I've never heard of that band OHM Kimbabig, but that guitarist sounds a lot like the way I play, a lot; and I've been praticing to get back in shape for more recording projects.....Who is he ??? And thanks for the thread.....

Yes, Gar was a Jazz Fusion drummer who is more famously known for his time in Megadeth. The Guitarist is a man called Chris Poland, he is my favorite guitarist ever. If it weren't for him I don't think I would have ever made the track from metal to fusion. The band Ohm is made up of Chris Poland, Robby Pag, and Kofi Baker (Ginger Baker's Son") although Kofi is not playing on this track he did join later and is currently in Ohm. I'm glad you enjoyed it. [biggrin]

Movie, The Basketball Diaries, (song came out 1980) takes place in the late '60s through the '70s.

Always reminds me of some people that I "almost" grew up with. In listening to the song I could always replace Carroll's friends names with folks I'd known.

I guess the only difference would be no mention of friends who went TO Vietnam.

Hey Man Nice Shot, by Filter; about a polititian who got caught doing a bad thing and killed himself

Conquistidore, by Proco Harem; about, well.....one of those brutal killers

Rocky Racoon, Beatles; Poor 'ol Rocky Racoon, bit slow on the draw.

Maxwell Silver Hammer, Beatles; self explanatory

Elonor Rigby, Beatles; self explanatory

Bob Seger, Fire Down Below; self explanatory

Ballad of Curtis Loew, Lynrd Skynrd; self explanatory

Archived