Gibson Brands Forums

Looking into getting a new 12 string.

Steven Tari

I've carried my inlayed 12 string to a couple guitar shops to get it fixed. I've been told that the way it was put together, unless the broken pieace comes off itself, it will be kinda expenseve to fix. My wife told me to get a new one. so I'm looking right now to find one. I'd like an accoustic electric under 2 grand. Any of Y'all have a nice one or know of a nice one a friend has? How about letting me know something, Please. I'm still hoping that the broken piece let's go but There's a lot of glue on it and the coating on the guitar is also holding it in. :unsure:

Takamine

I played these at a couple of different places. Good acoustic tone (never played thru an amp) and very playable all the way up to the 12th fret.

It's the closest I've been able to come to the 12 string I have as far as tone and playability goes.

most definitely this guitar. love the sound, the feel, and the price for its quality

Takamine isn't bad, but seriously for the money you will never find an acoustic better for the price than a larrivee.

They are handmade in Canada and you cannot beat the sound.

Here is one on ebay, it's not an electric, but if you look on craigslist and keep an eye on ebay, you will NOT be disappointed in your purchase

http://cgi.ebay.com/LARRIVEE-12-String-Acoustic-Guitar-Model-D-03-VERY-NICE-/320597621159?pt=Guitar&hash=item4aa51b79a7

This is a D-03 model which if it is electric, it will be D-03E the E of course standing for electric.

This is honestly one of the best guitars you can get. Especially under $2000.

ALL of the Guild twelves are made in USA?

You sure?

No, NeoConMan, I am not sure; Especially given the fact that even Martin and Breedlove now have some guitars made overseas, no, I am not certain.....It is my current understanding that all their acoustics are American made; but to cover my butt I gotta say that I am not sure.......The American 12 string Guilds are in my opinion among the best 12 strings; I am not familiar with the Taylor 655, but I am aware that they are pricey; which is the price one pays to buy American.......I hate Fender acoustics, but that's my opinion...Taylor has the 355ce 12 string for $1800.00 which would be within his budget, and, ah, you will correct me if I'm wrong Neo (and I appreciate it ) but you must be recommending Taylor guitars because they are American made.......Gotta say, love your reference to the SG twelve string !!! I wonder who might possibly have such a treasure in their awesome collection.......Hmmmmmm...........

Shaved Ape recommends the Larrinee; a good choice as well, and Canadian made is better than Chinese made; Besides, some of our favorite threaders live in Canada and they gotta eat to.......

The Tak EG523 above is a good value 12er. I owned the 6 string version but never got on with it. I've played the 12er sveral times when I was looking to buy and electro acoustic 12. The EG's are made in Korea.

Takamines are very very good in the electro-acoustic market. My advice would be to go for a Jap built guitar though. I bought a used EF381SC (see below), for the same price as a new EG523 and it is on a different planet. Solid spruce top, solid maple back and lam maple sides. Great on board electrics. I gig this guitar about once a month on average.

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=134&sid=66

A played a used Martin DM12 about 6 months ago and it was unbelievable. Nearly pulled the trigger on it. Used or new it should come in well under your $2k budget. No electrics but after market additions are no problem.

Yamaha will be a safe bet. Well built, solid reputation. Superb plugged in but not quite so good acoustically.

APX700 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-ac-guitars/apx/apx700-12/?mode=model, and

CPX700 http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-ac-guitars/cpx/cpx700-12/?mode=model

Similar guitars but the APX has a thinner body.

It's a shame they don't do the APX/CPX 1200 in a 12er as this looks like a great gigging guitar with dual pickups and loads of useful features.

Not that familiar with Taylors and Guilds but you won't go wrong with either.

Have played a Martin DX12 and was very disappointed. The DM12 is easily worth the extra cash. Nice guitar.

Have fun looking. The 12ers are always the first ones I pickup in guitar shops.

Having said all that, if you can find a J185-12 that fits your budget, pay close attention. They are my favourite 12string by a long way. Played quite a few and loved them all. Hopefully my own next Gibson purchase.

Cheers

I've carried my inlayed 12 string to a couple guitar shops to get it fixed. I've been told that the way it was put together, unless the broken pieace comes off itself, it will be kinda expenseve to fix. My wife told me to get a new one. so I'm looking right now to find one. I'd like an accoustic electric under 2 grand. Any of Y'all have a nice one or know of a nice one a friend has? How about letting me know something, Please. I'm still hoping that the broken piece let's go but There's a lot of glue on it and the coating on the guitar is also holding it in. :unsure:

Steven, I've been looking for the right one for 3 years. Hope you have better luck.

You sure?

They make that claim on at least the big 5 series. I won't buy one (any 12) from anywhere or anybody unless I can go to bed with it for a night. The new Martin Jumbo 12 or the Taylor, Neo mentioned, would be a Christmas present I could be happy with probably. But I want Lightfoot's, 60ies Gibson.[cursing]

If budget was a tad higher - Guild F series.

But Tak is a great budget based buy. As AlbertJohn said - the EF381 is very nice for the price.

I had a lawsuit Tak for many years, really nice, rock steady stable, killer amped. Currently I've got a Guild F-412 and a Ric 360/12.

You sure?

The GAD series are made in China and tha includes a 12-string model at least.

I have a Jumbo 6-string Chinese made Guild and overall it is one of the best quality and finish guitars I own and I own 3 Gibsons including an R8.

The craftsmanship on my Guild is impeccable, at $750 it was not cheap but FMIC commissioned good materials and professional craftsmanship on this line of products.

Archived