Gibson Brands Forums

My guitar hanger

renips

After being told that my guitar hanger was not safe for the nitrcellulose finish on my Les Paul I contacted the manufacturer and received this response below. Maybe someone from Gibson could confirm what is being said.

Hi Mark,

Yes our material is safe. Gibson uses our products in their showrooms and

stores in Nashville.

1.Please check your guitar before hanging it in our product that it

hasn't any marks on it from a previous hanger.

2. If you have to use a guitar polish,

be sure it is wiped off before you hang up your guitar. There is

conflicting information

on the internet as to whether polish is ever necessary or not.

3. Do not to use cleaners on the yoke material.

All of the above are variables we cannot control.

If you have a white Gibson we have white yokes that we recommend for them.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Anne Tainter

String Swing Displays

Phone 888-455-6628

Fax 608-435-6120

If it was me, I wouldn't believe what they say. First of all, I'm not aware of any kind of rubber that doesn't eat nitro. Second of all, all guitar shops hang their Gibsons from rubber hangers. They're too lazy to cover all the hangers with cotton. Third, they say to use a white hanger for a white guitar. That statement, in itself, is an admission that the hangers will interact with the finish.

I sew black denim around the rubber on all my stands and hangers, like this:

DSC_0012.jpg

If it was me, I wouldn't believe what they say. First of all, I'm not aware of any kind of rubber that doesn't eat nitro. Second of all, all guitar shops hang their Gibsons from rubber hangers. They're too lazy to cover all the hangers with cotton. Third, they say to use a white hanger for a white guitar. That statement, in itself, is an admission that the hangers will interact with the finish.

I sew black denim around the rubber on all my stands and hangers, like this:

DSC_0012.jpg

We recommend Hercules hangers/guitar stands: http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/hangers.html

They do not interact with nitrocellulose.

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

If that is a picture of your guitars, all of the hangers appear to be covered in cloth.

Just the three yokes I purchased from Home Depot are wrapped in cloth.... The others that are actually hung from the top of the cabinet are the swingstar units, and are the bare material it comes with........ no issues so far

Just the three yokes I purchased from Home Depot are wrapped in cloth.... The others that are actually hung from the top of the cabinet are the swingstar units, and are the bare material it comes with........ no issues so far

There is a lot of weight hanging in there.

Was any extra bracing required in the cabinet?

Thanks

Dave

We recommend Hercules hangers/guitar stands: http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/hangers.html

They do not interact with nitrocellulose.

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

The String Swing person who responded said that Gibson uses their guitar stands in their Nashville showrooms. You should be able to confirm this? Why do you say that Hercules stands will not interact with nitrocellulose? What is different about the chemistry of the hercules stands compared to the String Swing. Does anyone know? People have so many opinions on the sites but it seems that the statements made are not backed with anything. I think if String Swing is supplying Gibson with a product then it must be safe or String Swing is lying about supplying their product to Gibson. Stijn, could you look into this?

also if your going to use a wall hanger, dont use the sheet rock anchors MAKE sure the screws go into a wall stud. even if you have to get longer screws. if you wrapped the hanger with that white medical tape, or the tape people wrap hockey sticks with would that work?

duane can i live in your guitar closet [-o<

Sure ya can... I'll get another swingstar unit to hang you from [biggrin] .... However I can't gurantee the yoke area won't stain your neck..... But if that is a concern, I can always toss you in a guitar case [wink]

I use "Off the Wall" brand guitar hangers they have a hard plastic material rather than foam on the hooks. Never had a issue of any kind and been using them now for almost 10 years. I also had two of the String Swings and although the rubber didn't cause any issue with the finish the wooden backs didn't hold up well, both of mine had small cracks after a few years of fairly heavy use and while they never dropped a guitar I didn't trust them after the cracks s I threw them away. The "Off the Wall" brands are all metal and I just trust them more.

As you can see with my Avatar I hang quite a few guitars in my studio and have never had a issue yet.

The Gibson Showroom is closed. It was located at Opry Mills Mall, which flooded last spring and has not been reopened. From the looks of it, I might could add " or ever will be again" to that statement. I'm pretty sure no one is going to pop in there and check for you.

I can, however, tell you from having been in there many times, they, along with Guitar Center and most other music stores here in town, used what appeared to be the String Swing product. I don't recall seeing any damage on the guitars I played there.

I can also tell you my LP has never hung by the neck at my home, and has two spots on the neck where it obviously hung in the store.

The stand it is in now is an A frame, and is covered by a green cotton pillowcase. The company that made it also stated it was nitro safe, and while I'm sure they'll be very sorry when my finish is ruined, they are not going to pay to have it refinished and I'll be the one stuck with a ****ed up guitar.

So ask yourself... which would you rather do? Cover the hanger in cloth, or spend months in court with a company that may or may not have represented their product accurately trying to get compensation for your $2000 guitar?

Yeah, I thought so. Me too!

Seems so much simpler when it's put like that, huh?

[thumbup]

Archived