Gibson Brands Forums

George Harrison

cookieman15061

Paul sure knows how to lay a bass track down..... f-ing amazing

Man...I'm glad someone finally pointed that out...Paul is underrated as a bass player....listen to any of the Beatles albums and filter out everything but the bass and it is impressive...his work on Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sergeant Peppers and Abbey Road is just awesome..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul sure knows how to lay a bass track down..... f-ing amazing

No doubt, about it!

I always loved George's guitar work, too...because it Always fit the songs.

Never flashy, or overdone...always just perfect, for the any tune he played

on. Loved his later slide work, too...very beautiful, and melodic.

CB

Man...I'm glad someone finally pointed that out...Paul is underrated as a bass player....listen to any of the Beatles albums and filter out everything but the bass and it is impressive...his work on Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sergeant Peppers and Abbey Road is just awesome..

Underated??? I always thought he was considered one of "The Best," out there.

What used to astonish me (and, still does) is how he can play

those wonderful bass lines, and SING..at the same time! I can't

walk and chew gum, much less do that. ;>)

The Beatles, to me...were just a "pefect blend," really.

CB

Paul McCartney does pretty damn good for a musician that doesn't read music. He was also a very accomplished rhythm guitar before he took up the bass. Hang in there Paul and Ringo.

And Piano and organ and clarinet and uke and mandolin guitar, and drums,,,

I got to see him live this past august, 2 nights in a row and I'm as amazed as ever.

He makes it all seem so effortless.

Clearly all 4 were talented as individuals but as a band those 4 pieces together = unbeatable.

Those who are Playboy aficionados might recall the Playboy All-Star Band "selections". As I recall, for many years running, Mr. McCartney was the bass selection for the PB All-Star Band back in the 60s and 70s (don't know about the 80s etc) - http://www.brooklynantiques.com/Playboy/am_2_73.htm . . . B)

Clearly all 4 were talented as individuals but as a band those 4 pieces together = unbeatable.

In the book "You Never Give Me Your Money" George Martin said (paraphrasing here) "When two of them were in the studio, it was really good; if three of them, it was awesome, but when all four were there, it was just magic!

I'm pretty good at emulating guitar solo's and comping the feel of them. But I've spent hours upon hours over disecting the below guitar solo, and to this day, I just cant emmulate that wonderful bouncy feel of this one.... it still haunts me today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC8PtesgPTM

Agreed, tough and probably nearly impossible to reproduce because of the rapidly changing sounds of the guitars. I've always assumed that it was a tit for tat between Harrison and Lennon or at least I'd like to think of it that way whether true or not.

Agreed, tough and probably nearly impossible to reproduce because of the rapidly changing sounds of the guitars. I've always assumed that it was a tit for tat between Harrison and Lennon or at least I'd to think of it that way whether true or not.

I've come to the same conclusion as well... That solo is so in the pocket, it makes me sick [biggrin]

It's actually all three of them doing the solo.

The order is Paul / George / John 2 bars each and it repeats like that.

The story goes that Yoko tried to go into the studio when that was going to be recorded. John stopped her and told her that this one was just gonna be the boys.

It is a great album, and that swapped lead passage is fantastic.

George left us way too soon. He was a great player, and, though in John's and Paul's shadows in the Beatles, a pretty good songwriter himself. I'm glad he got the chance to remaster All Things Must Pass before he died, because it sounds fantastic. I hear all kinds of things on the remaster that I never picked up on the original.

And I love this little video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAZGpFrx8G0

Archived