Gibson Brands Forums

What do you play?

ChanMan

It's been awhile since I've seen one of these, and we've had a lot of new members join since then... so:

I play mostly blues guitar and hard rock/metal. Van Halen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Ratt as well as Shine Down, Nickleback, Radiohead... all have songs in my repertoir. So do Eric Clapton and John Lee Hooker...

I have some country tunes in my catalogue, too, like Zach Brown's "Toes".

I play a lot of my own stuff, also, and try to put a lot of my style into the covers I do so as to distinguish my versions from those already out there.

So....

What do you play?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.

I play what is usually characterized as heavy blues, but then I expand out into trip rock, psychedelic (not very well) metal, hard rock, acoustic, alternative, country, pop, whatever. It just sounds good.

Mainly, heavy blues with some trippy stuff thrown in. If that makes sense

Also, I don't play covers. I have some songs I know, but yeah, I just write my own stuff. More fulfilling that way

Mostly I play my own stuff. It's a combination of blues, rock and country.

I don't know why or where it comes from, but lately honkytonk county music seems to come flowing out of my fingers.

Sometimes I'll play classic rock, blues or metal, but lately, the muse I follow wears a skirt with cowboy boots and she drives a Chevy pickup truck.

I personally enjoy playing older music from the 70's to the end of the 90's; don't really like allot of the trash coming out today. My main influence is David Gilmore; and his style of blues. Although with this band I'm in they love Seether, Avenge Sevenfold, and other newer heavier bands; and since we are making a few bucks with it I'll play it.

Syn Gates is a tough guy to emulate!

Hats off to ya :)

I can't solo to save my life

I have trouble serving two masters as well.... My lead playing in my younger years was really great, but my rhythm playing suffered a little. Now my lead playing is nowhere what it used to be, but my rhythm playing, and other parts of my musicianship has improved [confused]

I think my main field is heavy metal and hard rock, but I play mostly everything, I even play hannah montana and taylor swift songs this days (for 12-15 year old female students, learning has to be fun, if not they will not learn a thing [biggrin] ).

When I'm just fooling around or jamming I play rock n roll, hard rock and blues stuff. [cool]

Rock and heavy rock.....

I've tried playing "blues," but I sound like a metal player trying to play blues [thumbdn]

This is what shocked me. I've been a heavy rock rhythm player all my life. Imagine my surprise that night in my living room when I riffed off a fast, legato blues run!

I'm a blues kinda guy. Who knew?!

Hi,

I am playing mostly blues/rock now, I have started a band called the Tweed Runners with a friend on the bass, but I compose my own stuff don't want to be only a cover player.

I have started with Metal stuff, mainly Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Alice Cooper, Queensryche ... in the late 80's, then every one tuned down, I have dived into blues Gary Moore first, then I have discovered Stevie Ray Vaughan ... nothing more to say about it.

I am also playing in a stoner band callled 'Ways To Suck Seed', tuned in B!!!! Luckily, Morpheus made that amazing pedal called the 'DropTune' it allows me to play in this band with all my guitars tuned in std.

I have trouble serving two masters as well.... My lead playing in my younger years was really great, but my rhythm playing suffered a little. Now my lead playing is nowhere what it used to be, but my rhythm playing, and other parts of my musicianship has improved [confused]

It's funny...i'm very much a rhythm player but i've been trying to improve my solo skills lately, and while i am improving, I still think I will always be a ryhthm guy primarily!

My rhythm stuff is alright, and other aspects of musicianship have gone up, and I can throw together a solo if need be, but its kind of lame and stuff, want to improve on that considerably

Funny how that happens.

I was either all lead or all rhythm.

being in a three piece has allowed me to explore more riffing oriented playing, as well as tying chords and leads together for solos.

if that makes any sense.....msp_unsure.gif

I guess I'm the resident Jazzman around here, big band, combo, solo (Basie, Ellington, Pass, Montgomery, etc).

Although I do get paid big bucks for playing the Blues, and I used to play 100+ nights a year with a Motown Review show band.

at the moment i enjoying myselfe with some good old ac-dc stuff like Riff Raff, There's gonna be ome rockin' , Ain't no fun, Gone shootin' and our band songs(simpel rock B) ). Just bought a jmp 2204 1982 model ,man what great tone there is for some classic rock in that amp =D>

Mostly blues. We have an all blues station here and there is almost always something I can solo to. If not, I'll throw on some Coco Montoya or BB King or Buddy Guy...

Also like classic rock.

Getting into a little acoustic lately too. Neil Young variety.

I don't play professionally so jamming with the guys is as close to live playing as I get and I'm ok with that.

Started taking weekly lessons a little over a month ago to fill in some blanks and my teacher says I have good technical skills and I play with heart and soul. Of course I pay him so...

Always a lot more to learn.

Dave

I have too a split guitar personality...

Electric guitar for me is usually all about blues/rock riffage - generally classic power trio stuff: Cream, Hendrix, Free, Zeppelin, SRV etc.

But I also play a lot of acoustic guitar, at which point it's all about: Gram Parsons and John Prine singer-songwriter stuff and Uncle Tupleo type Alt. Country stuff.

I don't even know if I can describe what I'm doing these days. I can't pin it down, can't figure it out. I know I can't do it right. I guess it's sort of folky, in ways?

I guess I've been getting into a lot of Fred Neil, Tim Hardin, Leadbelly, Mississippi John Hurt, Big Bill Broonzy kind of stuff. Oddly enough, I started off as very much a hard rock/early heavy metal guy. Started out wanting to play lots of Zeppelin and Deep Purple and GFR, and then got into all of this stuff. Learned one finger picking pattern, then two, and so on.

I guess when I realized I'd never be Rory Gallagher or Jimmy Page or Randy Rhoads I started to go in a different direction. This is the one I ended up with, I guess. Still sort of wish I could be that killer lead-guitar guy. Maybe I can one day.

Mostly metal. I also do bluegrass, classical (Mozart, Pachabel (sp), etc), flamenco/Spanish, country-pickin or whatever Chet Atkins and Merle Travis do. Just no modern country or jazz. Not that I'm not open to jazz, just never tried.

Mmmmm metal bluegrass!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYJUywl7CFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_fODduUkk4&feature=related

Archived