Gibson Brands Forums

We're not alone?

freak show

With the "billions and billions" of stars, related galaxies, and (as yet) undiscovered

planets, it's ludicrous to think we are the only "intelligent" life forms. I'd say

we're more likely to be the equivalent, of an ameba, to those other life forms, whatever

and wherever they are. And, they're probably more like "Alien," than "ET," anyway. LOL

;>)

CB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You missed the small print. We nessed up big time as far what kind of modificationa and alterations we could make and they don't like what we've done with the living room and want us out as soon as possible.

God told us to tend His garden. (Sorry for the religious reference.)

I wonder how far in human evolution we will go before we become extinct?

Dec 21, 2012

There is at least one book out there claiming that the theorized pole reversal is now an "expected pole swap".

The book, of course, is how to survive it.

I lump it in there with how to survive the Zombie apocalypse.

Personally, I'm in favor of space exploration and the study of what's out there. I also think it's in the nature of man to discover new places and things.

All I'm gonna say is, I'm glad Ferdinand and Isabella weren't thinking about how many mouths full of food Columbus' trip could have funded....

Thats what she said..... [flapper]

Thats what I said earlier in the thread. But at this point it is still speculation...but probably correct. But still, why all the hype and secrecy over this? Are they going to smash some phosphorus based bacteria over a cinder block?

Actually Henery himself is going to be there to do that. Stay tuned.

Brown noser!!

Trying to suck up to the new overlords!!!

<I lol'd at this actually!>

Someone had to say it!

Also, yeah, the pole-swap. Is that a result of the 26,000 year wobble?

Speaking of aliens and doomsday prophesies, does anyone get into the History Channel's "Ancient Aliens" series? Man, I love that show.

Someone had to say it!

Also, yeah, the pole-swap. Is that a result of the 26,000 year wobble?

Speaking of aliens and doomsday prophesies, does anyone get into the History Channel's "Ancient Aliens" series? Man, I love that show.

Something to do with us being between 2 large gravitational bodies - the sun and I think a dark star? Can't remember for sure as it's been a year or so since I've heard about it. It wouldn't be the first time, the earth has shifted its polarity numerous times. What is now the Equator was once the North/South Polarity line.

Galactic alignment, iirc.

If you'll forgive the Wiki-as-a-source faux pa:

In the mid-1990s, esoteric author John Major Jenkins asserted that the ancient Maya intended to tie the end of their calendar to the winter solstice in 2012, which falls on December 21. This date was in line with an idea he terms the galactic alignment.[56]

In the Solar System, the planets and the Sun share roughly the same plane of orbit, known as the plane of the ecliptic. From our perspective on Earth, the ecliptic is the path taken by the Sun across the sky over the course of the year. The 12 constellations which line the ecliptic are known as the zodiac and, through the year, the Sun passes through each constellation in turn. Additionally, over time, the Sun's annual passage appears to recede counterclockwise by one degree every 72 years. This movement, called "precession", is attributed to a slight wobble in the Earth's axis as it spins.[57] As a result, approximately every 2,160 years, the constellation visible on the early morning of the spring equinox changes. In Western astrological traditions, this signals the end of one astrological age (currently the Age of Pisces) and the beginning of another (Age of Aquarius). Over the course of 26,000 years, precession makes one full circuit around the ecliptic.[57]

Just as the spring equinox in the northern hemisphere is currently in the constellation of Pisces, so the winter solstice is currently in the constellation of Sagittarius, which is the zodiacal constellation intersected by the galactic equator.[58] Every year for the last 1,000 years or so, on the winter solstice, the Earth, Sun and the galactic equator come into alignment, and every year, precession pushes the Sun's position a little way further through the Milky Way's band.

220px-Milkyway_Swan_Panorama.jpg magnify-clip.pngThe Milky Way near Cygnus showing the lane of the Dark Rift, which the Maya called the Xibalba be or "Black Road"Jenkins suggests that the Maya based their calendar on observations of the Great Rift, a band of dark dust clouds in the Milky Way, which the Maya called the Xibalba be or "Black Road."[59] Jenkins claims that the Maya were aware of where the ecliptic intersected the Black Road and gave this position in the sky a special significance in their cosmology.[60] According to the hypothesis, the Sun precisely aligns with this intersection point at the winter solstice of 2012.[60] Jenkins claimed that the classical Mayans anticipated this conjunction and celebrated it as the harbinger of a profound spiritual transition for mankind.[61] New Age proponents of the galactic alignment hypothesis argue that, just as astrology uses the positions of stars and planets to make claims of future events, the Mayans plotted their calendars with the objective of preparing for significant world events.[62] Jenkins attributes the insights of ancient Maya shamans about the galactic center to their use of psilocybin mushrooms, psychoactive toads, and other psychedelics.[63] Jenkins also associates the Xibalba be with a "world tree", drawing on studies of contemporary (not ancient) Maya cosmology.[64

I think that last bit is pretty important...

There's good spin there too....they removed the phosphorus and coaxed it to contunue growing with arsenic in its place.

"The newly discovered microbe, strain GFAJ-1, is a member of a common group of bacteria, the Gammaproteobacteria. In the laboratory, the researchers successfully grew microbes from the lake on a diet that was very lean on phosphorus, but included generous helpings of arsenic. When researchers removed the phosphorus and replaced it with arsenic the microbes continued to grow. Subsequent analyses indicated that the arsenic was being used to produce the building blocks of new GFAJ-1 cells."

So in fact, they created it, not really discovered it.

There's good spin there too....they removed the phosphorus and coaxed it to contunue growing with arsenic in its place.

So in fact, they created it, not really discovered it.

I noticed it was still carbon based, too, but the fact that something can replace phosphorus with toxic arsenic does seem to indicate that life could exist in environments previously thought to be uninhabitable.

Perhaps we'll revisit places like Venus for a closer look!

Oh, and I'm still waiting on some corroboration on NASA's uselessness.

I think we can, at this point, assume yet another cranial-rectal inversion.

Our place in the universe IMO is way beneath that of ants. [biggrin]

At least THEY care for the planet.

If ants could take over the world and position themselves at the top of the food chain, they would.... Those little bastards love waging war on our kitchen sink [cursing]

Archived