Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG VS Gibson SG

acdcman2345

hey there everyone...

i now own a Faded Epi G400 and love it. im going to be buying a new guitar soon. i was looking at the 1966 Epi G400 and a Gibson SG Standard. either way im going to put angus young signiture humbucker and a 57' humbucker into them. i only play at home for a hobbie. is it worth spending the extra 800 on just the guitar? im playing through a vox VT20+. i would love a gibson but just cant see the 800 dollar differents in the guitar shop. hope to hear back soon.

1966 Epi G400 + angus young signiture humbucker + a 57' humbucker = How much money?

How close are you getting to the Gibson now?

Consider resale value too.

Look at used prices on both - you'll find that every penny the Epi "saved" you has evaporated.

The pickups won't help.

If you can afford it, yes the Gibson Standard is much better than the G-400. However I absolutely LOVE my Tony Iommi G-400, but it's a beater, and I wouldn't have bought it if not for the Gibson USA Iommi pickups and 24 fret neck.

Nah, I'd rather just delete posts [biggrin] ..... The thread starter is looking for real help, so I'll probably move the thread to where the Epi guys and gals can give a hand [thumbup]

haha he already made a thread about the same topic in the epi section [biggrin]

Nah, I'd rather just delete posts [biggrin] .....

The thread starter is looking for real help, so I'll probably move the thread to where the Epi guys and gals can give a hand [thumbup]

Great!

They LOVE me over there in Epi-Land!!!

As a matter of fact, that's where Duane and I first got acquainted, eh?

[flapper][woot][lol]

(By the way Duane, thanks for indulging me and allowing the "Double Standard" thread to run as long as it did. I owe you a frosty adult beverage...) [thumbup]

Okay, I'm outta here.

See ya!!! [woot]

If you are going to modify the guitar. I woud say modify an Epi. The Epi has grover tuners, so you are okay there. I have both Epi's and Gibby's and have been quite impressed with Epi's quality control. The Epi you talk about has the slim tapered neck. I really like them but just wanted to point it out. I don't modify Gibson's guitars myself. I buy them stock the way I want them.

BTW if you modify the Epi pickups might as well do the pots and maybe the capacitors. You also by your call name seem to like AC/DC alot. Please note that Angus does not usually if ever use the signature pickups you refer to.

if you can't tell the difference between an Epi and a Gibson, buy the Epi.

i personally would buy a better amp. ymmv

Fenn is hot on the trail here.

I guess it really depends on what you WANT from your guitar when it's all boiled down.

I bought my G-400 Deluxe Flametop new back in '04, it's been trouble-free, and after the initial "proper setup" has given flawless performance since new....the only drawbacks being that it's quite "neck heavy" causing the headstock to tend to dip toward the floor if i'm not using a wide leather strap, and the stock p'ups are good, but JUST good, and the total volume output is also "just good".

GarysCam047.jpg

On 10/2/10 my brand new Gibson SG Standard in Heritage Cherry arrived at my door, my wife had ordered it as a surprize b-day gift for me, I did the initial setup, which took all of 10 minutes, including neck/action/and p'up height adjustments.

My G-400 hasn't been out of it's case since that day.....the Standard literally blows it away in terms of tone, and it's perfectly balanced, actually a bit heavy for an SG, which I love.

GarysCam153.jpg

GarysCam152.jpg

I've since the pics replaced the "SG" Truss Cover with a plain cover, because it makes it sound better [biggrin] .

So, it's basically a decision of a "REALLY good" guitar for $400, or a Great one for $1200.......lots of folks say it's not worth THAT much extra money, but to me personally, it's been worth it.

Hi,

I already read this in the Epi forum and thought, let's see what the Gibson owners say.

i now own a Faded Epi G400 and love it

Why then do you want to buy a second one from Epi ... only because of the mentioned pickups? Why then don't you put them in the SG you already have? You could invest the spared money in something else, maybe effect pedals or a better headphone to play in the late evening?

Or would you prefer to own the original? Maybe compare both, the Epi and the Gibby, again in different shops.

I myself am an old LP fan and am in a similar situation ... playing alone at home ... jamming and recording. I wanted a guitar that feels and looks good and is a great allrounder. I bought an Epi Les Paul Tribute 60 TB and got what I wanted ... the 57 Gibson pickups in combination with the serial/parallel switch give me a lot of different great clean sounds and with a Line 6 Pocket Pod I can jam all night without disturbing anybody ... and I have a huge range of effect sounds, from Jazz over Blues to Crunch and even Metal. That's all I need ... so far ;)

And what do YOU really need?

. Wait and see for what Gibson can offer for the sg's 40th anniversary next year, hope they come with some great models. Anyway take your time and save up, sooner or later you wanna have the real deal. Great as the g 400 is there's something special having a Gibson, for me that's worth every $

. Wait and see for what Gibson can offer for the sg's 40th anniversary next year, hope they come with some great models.

I just hope they don't price the 40th AV model absolutely out of reach for most.........and they can just keep all the "short neck tenon" ideas/models to themselves.....I won't buy 1.

I'd personally love to see the 40th Standard model come with....2 pc maho body, long tenon maho neck, ebony fretboard, REAL m.o.p. trapeziod inlays, bone or "Tusq" nut, stainless steel frets, '57 Classic neck hb, '57 Classic Plus bridge hb, classic point to point wiring (no PCB), and a simple gold-plated TRC with "40th Anniversary" on it, priced at or below $2500 retail.......

I'd buy THAT in a heartbeat !!

and they can just keep all the "short neck tenon" ideas/models to themselves.....I won't buy 1.

As far as I know, no SGs have ever had short neck tenons. When I tore my faded down to refin it, I noticed the tenon went pretty far into the neck pickup cavity. Short tenons don't go past the fretboard.

I thought that was the reason for the change to the full-face pg in '66 was because of the change over from short to long........but i'm definitely no expert, and have been wrong before.

And evidently my math sux too.....the SG is 2 yrs older than me, and i'm 47, not 37.......wishful thinking maybe? [biggrin]

Archived