Gibson Brands Forums

Long Shot

Californiaman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember, this missile launch is a defensive weapon.

It's supposed to stop other ballistic missiles from reaching their target.

I have questions now but I don't want this thread to flame out.

The powers that be in America want the US Senate to ratify a weapons treaty with Russia.

How much does this really have to do with Korea?

I think there's a lot riding on this test.

Also,

could a rail gun be as effective as this Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicle (EKV)?

Remember, this missile launch is a defensive weapon.

It's supposed to stop other ballistic missiles from reaching their target.

I think there's a lot riding on this test.

Also,

could a rail gun be as effective as this Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicle (EKV)?

**post edited by ChanMan to remove that which could result in nukyuhler strikes***

As the "rail" seems to be the launching method, the projectile would need to be guided to have the same effect.

Or one hella marksman would need to be at the trigger.

Methinks.

You agree with the name calling?

Especially from somebody who's not old enough to vote and knows (CENSORED) about world politics?

OK, sorry. I do not agree with calling the guy a moron. I will stand by my opinion that his comment was very knee jerk and not based on knowledge of what reality is on the Korean peninsula. Also thought the era of American foreign policy being invading countries whose dictator we do not like was over. We have two wars to finish up, why start a third and piss off China in the process?

Yeah Evol,

The f-ing Boy Scouts could take care of North Korea with only their pocketknives and knot-tying ability.

It's what they are fueling and influencing outside the country that worries me.

And China likes 'em just how they are - no stronger, no weaker.

It's no coincidence they've been hanging by the same thread for all these years.

Why does NOBODY seem to understand this?

US missile intercept test fails

By The Associated Press

An interceptor missile launched from California on Wednesday failed to hit a target fired from a Pacific atoll 4,000 miles away during a test of an anti-ballistic missile defense system, the Air Force announced.

The missile, called a ground-based interceptor, lifted off from coastal Vandenberg Air Force Base at 12:03 a.m. and released a device called an Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicle, or EKV, that was to plow into a target missile fired from the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands.

The interceptor's sensors worked and the EKV was deployed, but it missed, according to a statement from Rick Lehner, a spokesman for the U.S. Missile Defense Agency.

The cause of the failure will be investigated before another test is scheduled, Lehner said.

It was the fourth launch of a fully operational interceptor from Vandenberg, 130 miles northwest of Los Angeles. The $100 million launch originally was planned for Tuesday, but it was delayed by poor weather.

The missile agency noted that the Sea-Based X-Band Radar, a critical component of the system, performed as planned. The radar, which cost more than $800 million, is mounted on an oceangoing-platform that can sail to any point where the military needs to track missiles. The 280-foot-tall radar can identify baseball-size objects thousands of miles away. It was built by Raytheon Co. for the Boeing Co., the prime contractor on the project.

Ground-based interceptors are in place at Fort Greeley, Alaska, in addition to Vandenberg.

In recent years the military has held a series of tests of technologies to defend against long-range ballistic missiles that might be fired from countries such as North Korea.

Other components of the missile shield could include sea-launched missiles and lasers mounted in planes.

OK, sorry. I do not agree with calling the guy a moron. I will stand by my opinion that his comment was very knee jerk and not based on knowledge of what reality is on the Korean peninsula. Also thought the era of American foreign policy being invading countries whose dictator we do not like was over. We have two wars to finish up, why start a third and piss off China in the process?

If you took the time to read my other posts you would see that I know all about current world politics. I understand the situation with China. And no one really knows whether or not China would actually help the North Koreans if it came to full scale war.

nuking Pyongyang is probably not the best idea, No?

With the proliferation of nukes, and the attendent technology to build one now?

No way in hell can we do that now.

Comparing WWII Japan to now is sheer mother(CENSORED)ing stoopidity.

If we use ANY kind of WMD ANYWHERE, you can kiss American lives goodbye.

With our wide open borders and policies of exclusion, committing mass attacks inside the USA is a cinch.

I won't type in public some of the things that scare me the most but they involve OUR women and children.

I'm surprised some of them haven't happened yet.

Airliners?

Pffffffffffftttttttt!!!!!

Wait until they REALLY want to strike terror in our hearts.

A nuke from us to ANYWHERE in the world would be just the excuse.

And please remember (in case any of you forgot) you won't find a more gung ho kill-em-all guy than me - if warranted.

Lethal force carries with it immense responsibility.

Archived