Gibson Brands Forums

"Crank-it-up" Songs

freak show

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the eighties, we had car stereos which would play all of the music loud, so that those around us could hear the entire song, not just the bass.

I used to love sitting at a traffic light in my '68 Chevelle SS396, with the sound system cranking out the following "song".

I give you "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict":

Seriously?

You crank this up?

I am disappoint.

[mellow]

"Twas but a joke, good sir.

That said I had my 8th graders hooked on it last year. I told then I had heard the

worst song ever recorded. They had to know what it was of course, so I told them to

look up Chacarron on youtube when they got home. They played it over and over at the

dances from that point on! What have I created? [scared]

I'm shocked and appalled that nobody has mentioned:

DEEP PURPLE!

Anything by Deep Purple, especially from In Rock, Fireball, and Machine Head immediately gets the volume cranked up past eleven. Even then, I'm conditioned to respond to the beginning of Blackmore's solo on "Highway Star" by cranking up to max volume.

A note for the rockers of today, a lot of whom unfortunately seem to be lost on this concept: don't forget the groove. Listen to "Maybe I'm A Leo," "Fireball" or "Speed King" and you'll know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZn67GkV58I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MANZfk8Et9Y

I'm shocked and appalled that nobody has mentioned:

DEEP PURPLE!

Anything by Deep Purple, especially from In Rock, Fireball, and Machine Head immediately gets the volume cranked up past eleven. Even then, I'm conditioned to respond to the beginning of Blackmore's solo on "Highway Star" by cranking up to max volume.

A note for the rockers of today, a lot of whom unfortunately seem to be lost on this concept: don't forget the groove. Listen to "Maybe I'm A Leo," "Fireball" or "Speed King" and you'll know what I mean.

I also really like Whitesnake, though I prefer the earlier stuff shortly before they became a "hair band". I crank all that stuff, too.

I got a promotional copy of Whitesnake's album "Live In The Heart of the City" when I was a young lad of 14. I became a Whitesnake fan immediately.

Archived