Gibson Brands Forums

1959 Reissue or Studio?

DanS

Good Morning: Before my question I should tell you I am new to the guitar. I am 58 years old. I wanted to learn when I was 10, but my parents wanted me to learn piano. I hated the piano and quit. So, a couple of years ago I decided my bucket list included learning the guitar. I tried lessons for about 6 months, but wanted the basics. So, I bought Steve Krenz DVD's. I like them, but have stalled on lesson 6. Heard SRV for the first time so bought an American Standard Fender Strat and signed up for Marty Schwartz at guitarjamz.com. I enjoy the lessons. I'm floundering and can't seem to focus on one or the other. I'm frustrated because I feel just stagnate. I don't seem to be moving off square one. But, that's another story. Lately, I've been reading about Gibson Les Paul guitars. Was looking at them yesterday at a guitar store and asked the manager which Les Paul I should buy if I decided to buy one? He took me right to a beautiful Gibson Les Paul 1959 reissue. Wowser! But, it captured me. Of course, at my level of play a Fender Squire is probably more than I need. But, there is something about a Les Paul I can't get out of my head. I'm trying to talk to myself and manage my expectations. Naturally, the guitar store manager thinks that if I can afford it, I should get the reissue as it will never depreciate. He plays one himself. Frankly, I'm sure I wouldn't notice or fully appreciate what I'd be buying. So, for all you Gibson fans and tremendous guitar players (think how good I'd be if I had been allowed to start 48 years ago?) I wonder what advice you can give me on this? Also, I looked at a Gibson Custom Shop KOA Songwriter guitar. Beautiful. What do you think about that guitar? Sorry if you've answered questions like this a million times before. Thanks. Dan

Man, I can't say with any kind of expert opinion, but I think you would be perfectly satisfied with either guitar. The Studio's are great, and though I've never even had my hands an LP that cost nearly as much as that reissue, don't let the price tag of the studio fool you. It's still a great guitar; just no frills, glitz, and glamour.

I've seen used studio's selling for close to retail prices, so I'd feel comfortable thinking that as long as you took care of one, it wouldn't depreciate too much either. It probably wouldn't hold its value as much as the reissue, but it's not like you'd be selling it for half of what you paid either.

I guess, bottome line is, they're both great guitars, and you can have one for about 1/5th the price of the other. As a beginner, I'd be inclined to think this is all you need. Unless your Bill Gates...then by all means, get the reissue.

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate your input. I will have to ponder this one for a bit. Dan

The studio is a fabulous guitar: my first LP was one. It comes down to how much you want to spend. EVERY salesman I've ever spoken to plays the guitar he's trying to sell me, btw... :-)

If limited specifically to the two models, I personally would take the Reissue. But, you should also add the "middle man" between those options too, and look at a standard plus top or traditional as well: find the guitar that turns you on. I have a standard and I absolutely love it.

Most of all, have fun learning: it should be fun. :-)

Don

Don: Thanks for your input. I had hoped for a tour of all the LP's, but the manager bypassed the others on the wall and went straight to the reissue. I saw the Studio's on the wall, but that was about it. I suppose a bit more research would be in order. I don't want to be a guppy here either. Thanks for your advice. Best, Dan

I have a buddy who wanted a les paul. it would be the only LP he ever would buy as he's not much of a player. As such, he wanted the best he could afford. He bought a used R9 from Mark's.

there are two schools of thought:

1) go big or go home

2) if you can't tell the difference, buy the cheaper one.

Dan, IF you have the expendable cash, for the "Reissue," and it's what you

really want, go for it! However, IMHO, guitars like that, are for "collectors,"

or the very well healed, to which spending 5-10 Grand, is like the rest of us

spending 5-10 dollars. Not for students, or your average working musician...again,

IMHO. But...If an "investment," like all good art, is your need/goal, Cool!

They're also great for "bragging rights," and "snob appeal!" (Smile)

The Studio Les Paul's are definitely the best "value" going, in a Gibson LP...

with all the playability, and tone, you'd ever need. And...Hang on to any Gibson,

long enough, and it will go up in value, just from inflation, alone! ;>)

Good luck, in whatever choice you make. And, don't forget to post some photos,

or "It didnt' happen!"

Cheers,

CB

I think you've gotta figure cost of an amp too...

Frankly I'm not into LPs at all. If you've got the cash, I'd go for a Songwriter acoustic electric version or... An ES 175. The Songwriter is a heckuva guitar. The 175 allows hearing yourself practice without an amp and is a true classic.

BTW, if you don't really have that much cash to toss, the Epi versions of the above ain't bad at all, at all.

But one way or another, I'd say that a proper setup may be the most important thing for you. Period.

If you reeeeally want a real Gibson and the LP is your thing, yeah, the Studio sounds like a better idea to me for a relative beginner even if you've got oodles of talent and already are catching on well enough to play for money. Add a decent small amp and you're cooking with gas.

That last is my recommendation because as you get to know guitars better and sorta solidify your technical concepts, you may change your mind on types of guitar to use. At 58 (gee, you're still just a kid), you may want a shot at thinking about types that will suit best where you wanna go with your music.

m

Read this and you'll understand the major differences. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

That $5,600 price tag is like the sticker price on a new car. Do you ever pay the asking price on a new car? As FennRx wrote, that guitar will be worth around $3,000 once you walk out the door with it. Maybe upwards of $4,000 if it as an absolutely incredible & vintage looking top.

Personally, I'd say buy a used Studio ($600 - $1,000 range) or maybe a used LP Standard/Traditional ($1,000 - $1,600 range). Play it for a bit and if you feel you want to get an R9, sell your LP (which you won't loose any/much money on if you buy used) and then get the reissue. Trust me, you'll really appreciate the reissue if you go this route...and definitely get yourself a tube amp.

To All Who Responded: Thanks much for the advice. I will ponder all points. Also, I saw Studio models varying in price. Again, I appreciate everyone's words of wisdom. I'll let you know how I roll out on this purchase! Geez, and I never thought I'd leave my beloved American Standard Strat. Best, Dan

Another thing to consider is that specs on a sheet is one thing, but it is the experience of playing and hearing that is something completely different!!

Rik Middleton, the chap whose Classical guitars I endorse, will tell you that as a guitar maker, it defies logic that sometimes a guitar that is made from all the 'best' woods, can still sound inferior to a cheap guitar. So in light of this, what ever guitar you try, ask to try several versions of the same model. ie if they have 8 studios in stock, try all 8! Often it is a case of same model, but COMPLETELY different guitar...

Re Reissue guitars (this is just my opinion)

Personally I have quite a few misgivings about the re issue guitars, to to do with the quality you receive, in relation to the amount you pay; so if you have the amount of money to buy one, then another route worth investigating is getting a private luthier either to make you a guitar from scratch

It could be cheaper, although not necessarily, but you could have a one of a kind instrument tailored to your own technique and liking msp_thumbup.gif

or buy one an existing one on his/her range.

Most important thing don't get too caught up in what all we have to say. You are the most important person in judging what is best for you!

Matt

What Matt said...

<grin>

That's also my recommendation to play before you pay. I'd add that an electric should probably be played through an amp, and an amp that you own or plan to buy with the electric.

As for price tags ... Some of the studios are under $1,000. And I'm dead serious about the quality of the Epis I've seen for well under that, too.

My own thought is that if you love the LP and have the cash, consider a studio and, if you lack one, an amp. If even the studio really is more than you'd like to spend, look into the Epis. Even the Epi version of ES-175 is under $500 and I've heard excellent reviews on it.

Again, my reasoning has to do with you being a relative beginner. Even if you ain't 18 any more, you're gonna change what you wanna have for a guitar until you have a collection that meets a number of "reasons." Frankly if somebody gave me $5,000 and said, "buy guitars or give it back," I'd probably get a real 335 and then a batch of Epis. That's subject to change. <grin>

But again, even if you've got all sorts of cash, don't even think about walking out of a guitar store with any instrument at all without a proper setup that matches how you play now. And even that's likely to change. Talk to the setup person and match strings and settings to you, not to some book specification.

If you get a less expensive guitar, you probably also should get a hard case whether it comes with one or not. Check some of the web sites to see if a Gibson is supposed to come with one before you pass over your credit card, too.

m

DanS, you can't go wrong with either the R9 or the Studio. I've got an R8 and several "lesser" guitars, including a Gibson LP Studio, and I play all of them enough to justify (in my mind, anyway) keeping all of them. The Studio is a really good guitar and a great value. The R9 is, well, an R9!

If you do go the Studio route, I would say get one with the gloss finish instead of the "worn" or "faded" finish. I just think a new guitar should look new. A gloss finish Studio will probably cost a little more than a worn or faded Studio, but it should come with a hard shell case, and I think the worn/faded guitars come with a gig bag.

DanS, you can't go wrong with either the R9 or the Studio. I've got an R8 and several "lesser" guitars, including a Gibson LP Studio, and I play all of them enough to justify (in my mind, anyway) keeping all of them. The Studio is a really good guitar and a great value. The R9 is, well, an R9!

If you do go the Studio route, I would say get one with the gloss finish instead of the "worn" or "faded" finish. I just think a new guitar should look new. A gloss finish Studio will probably cost a little more than a worn or faded Studio, but it should come with a hard shell case, and I think the worn/faded guitars come with a gig bag.

Thanks! I appreciate you and the others taking the time to give me your advice. Much appreciated. Best, Dan

I'd choose a different shop. Any salesman that takes a 'learner' straight to the top end is just after your money. Why don't you see if you live by one of the members here and get them to personally help you pick.

I'd get an epiphone for starters for now. Then move up later.

If not. Just get a second hand standard or traditional.

If there weren't any "fools" to buy the reissues, you would never find a used one.

Just sayin,

Dave

1) a new R9 can be had for <$4500. maybe even <$4000

2) who cares? people are free to be foolish. and people like me will be there to pick up a LNIB R9 for less than half of what some guy paid for it.

notice i didnt say someone was a fool to buy one new. I said anyone who pays $5600 (ie sticker price) is a fool.

1) a new R9 can be had for <$4500. maybe even <$4000

2) who cares? people are free to be foolish. and people like me will be there to pick up a LNIB R9 for less than half of what some guy paid for it.

notice i didnt say someone was a fool to buy one new. I said anyone who pays $5600 (ie sticker price) is a fool.

Guess what? I won't be the next fool. Message sent...message received. Dan

Archived