Gibson Brands Forums

Learn to play these Power Chords.

Sancho Panza

Hello!

So I've been trying to learn "Stroll On" by The Yardbirds, and it based around power chords, which I've never played. I tried and found that it was kinda hard, actually. So I went on to a friend and he said to me that I was holding it wrong, that one should play with the thumb covering the low E-string, and I played it like a barre chord.

Is it any right "way" to play it? Both ways felt uncomfortable to play.

Mike

Hello!

So I've been trying to learn "Stroll On" by The Yardbirds, and it based around power chords, which I've never played. I tried and found that it was kinda hard, actually. So I went on to a friend and he said to me that I was holding it wrong, that one should play with the thumb covering the low E-string, and I played it like a barre chord.

Is it any right "way" to play it? Both ways felt uncomfortable to play.

Mike

ok mike,...either you are yanking my chain OR you are a genuine newbie after some solid advise, either way i don't think we can help you on here that much mate...if you ain't even got power chords down yet then i think you need to research other sites that would point you in the right direction or maybe find a teacher...good luck mate [thumbup]

If you can play a barre chord you can play a "Power Chord" (aka Root/fifth or Fifth Chord). It's just the bottom of the chord, the bottom being the lowest notes. Barre and E or and A but only play the Root and Fifth.

It's not going to be naturally comfortable, it takes time with your fingers on the frets before it feels "Comfortable".

And "Stroll On" is just a reworking of "Train Kept a Rollin" which is played with Barre Chords, not just Power Chords. Sometimes they may only be hitting the Root/Fifth, but they're fingering the entire Barre Chord.

And finally, your not just learning where to put your fingers, your teaching your hands and fingers to be Dexterous. That will only come with time.

Use your palm on your picking hand to help mute the strings.

Start slow... REAL slow. Speed will come as you build the muscle memory in your fretting hand.

Power chords can be played with just 2 fingers... barre with the index and fret the other 2 strings with your ring finger. I like to use my ring and pinky, but use whatever feels comforatble to YOU. :D

Don't feel bad man... we've all been there, even if some of us have forgotten.

Nice! Now I feel like a complete idiot. It's hard when you play these power chords to mute the other strings, I'm having problems, mostly, with that.

Thanks for the advices!

Yeah don't feel bad. Apparently some people don't know how not to behave like a DIICK!!

They probably weren't raised right and can't play themselves very well.

I honestly didn't understand your question very well. Is it power chords in general you're having problems with or utilizing them in this particular song.?

Yeah...

I was never a beginner that I can remember but...

What did you say I had for lunch today? Darn this gray hair.

<grin>

Welcome to the Lodge of Learners. When you start learning, you start living; when you stop learning...

m

Yeah...

I was never a beginner that I can remember but...

What did you say I had for lunch today? Darn this gray hair.

<grin>

Welcome to the Lodge of Learners. When you start learning, you start living; when you stop learning...

m

/chuckle

One does not like the alternative to learning :D

Don't beat yourself up.

Keep at it and it will come.

I vaguely remember the frustration of even fretting a good single note when I first started. The whole idea of making your fingers do things they've never done before is a challenge.

Believe me, if you keep at it, it will get easier and less painful on the fingers.

Good luck.

Dave

ok mike,...either you are yanking my chain OR you are a genuine newbie after some solid advise, either way i don't think we can help you on here that much mate...if you ain't even got power chords down yet then i think you need to research other sites that would point you in the right direction or maybe find a teacher...good luck mate [thumbup]

Cocky lad.

...that one should play with the thumb covering the low E-string, and I played it like a barre chord.

Just want to offer additional advice here. While using your thumb can come in very handy at times, for barre chords and power chords I advise getting in the habit of having your thumb on the back of the neck. Think of your pointer finger and thumb making a "U". It will help you a lot down the road when learning fancy barre chords like sevenths and suspendeds.

Yeah my most recent guitar teacher is all about the thumb on the back of the neck....he suggested to keep your hand in such a shape as if you were holding a goblet...similar to evol's suggestion of the U shape...

With the thumb on the back of the neck, you have more room to pivot allowing you to move up and down the neck very easily.

Archived