Gibson Brands Forums

Pat Robertson

Californiaman

What?

Really?

Oh, my!

Wonder what the fall out over this will be? :-k

Televangelist Pat Robertson stirred the pot by condemning the harsh penalties imposed on young people for marijuana possession – comments that delighted supporters of legalizing pot and surprised followers accustomed to his conservative views.

"We're locking up people that take a couple of puffs of marijuana, and the next thing you know they've got 10 years," Robertson told his "700 Club" audience last week. "I'm not exactly for the use of drugs – don't get me wrong – but I just believe that criminalizing marijuana, criminalizing the possession of a few ounces of pot and that kind of thing, I mean, it's just costing us a fortune and it's ruining young people."

As Robertson's comments were celebrated on several websites advocating the legalization of pot, a spokesman for the conservative icon clarified that he was not calling for decriminalizing marijuana.

"Dr. Robertson unequivocally stated that he is against the use of illegal drugs," Chris Roslan wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

But Allen St. Pierre, executive director of pot legalization advocacy group NORML, said Robertson is among a growing number of libertarians and "right-of-center" public figures who agree the nation's drug laws treat marijuana possession too harshly.

"We don't care how people arrive at the conclusion that prohibition is a failure," he said. "They're acknowledging there are alternatives to lock-them-up-and-throw-away-the-key solutions."

Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, said Robertson's comments on marijuana are important because of his audience.

"The people who are listening to him may roll their eyes when the Democrats say this, but when Pat Robertson says this he has credibility in the faith community."

The Drug Policy Alliance advocates for lighter drug punishments.

Roslan said Robertson advocated a review of the "severity" of existing laws and the millions spent on incarceration "when there are better approaches available."

Robertson regularly stirs controversy on the "700 Club," which began broadcasting in 1966 and now claims 1 million viewers daily.

Keeping my personal feelings to myself (I'm not going to avert to name calling), Robertson's comments have merit.

In fact, he's dead on.

Too many young people have faced too stringent penalties for possession of marijuana.

Something needs to be done. Something needs to change.

I believe a change is going to come eventually, but it's too late for those who are already suffering from over zealous federal and state mandatory sentencing laws that have clearly not worked.

Keeping my personal feelings to myself (I'm not going to avert to name calling), Robertson's comments have merit.

In fact, he's dead on.

Too many young people have faced too stringent penalties for possession of marijuana.

Something needs to be done. Something needs to change.

I believe a change is going to come eventually, but it's too late for those who are already suffering from over zealous federal and state mandatory sentencing laws that have clearly not worked.

When it comes to Robertson, I have NO problem reverting to name calling. Just curious, if you are, in fact, in CA., how did you vote this year on Prop 19? A lot of us around the country were very hopeful that it would pass and mark the beginning of some rational thinking on this subject. After the elections, I listened to some interviews with proponents of the bill and they seem undaunted by the defeat, encouraged by the percentages, prepared to wage the battle again in 2012 and confident of victory. My hat is off to them. California has the best chance to lead the way out of this phony, draconian policy. As an aside to this, I can't help but wonder if the privatization of prison operation has something to do with the difficulty faced in revamping these kinds of laws. Got to keep a steady stream of customers to make a profit. Nah, that's just paranoid thinking!

Here on the central coast of California we have basically three counties that are closely tied together.

I'll speak for Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties because I saw the election results.

Both counties passed the the proposition in a very close race, 51%.

I voted "no" only because I believe prop. 19 was poorly written. For me personally it did not address certain issues and it did not answer certain concerns I have.

Something needs to be done though.

My ideas are far to radical for today's society. It's Christmas and I don't want to get into it right now. Perhaps in the future.

Here on the central coast of California we have basically three counties that are closely tied together.

I'll speak for Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties because I saw the election results.

Both counties passed the the proposition in a very close race, 51%.

I voted "no" only because I believe prop. 19 was poorly written. For me personally it did not address certain issues and it did not answer certain concerns I have.

Something needs to be done though.

My ideas are far to radical for today's society. It's Christmas and I don't want to get into it right now. Perhaps in the future.

Sounds like the perfect wound up the enemy of the good. I'm keeping up hope for 2012. It's got to start somewhere. You guys are the best bet.

When it comes to Robertson, I have NO problem reverting to name calling. Just curious, if you are, in fact, in CA., how did you vote this year on Prop 19? A lot of us around the country were very hopeful that it would pass and mark the beginning of some rational thinking on this subject. After the elections, I listened to some interviews with proponents of the bill and they seem undaunted by the defeat, encouraged by the percentages, prepared to wage the battle again in 2012 and confident of victory. My hat is off to them. California has the best chance to lead the way out of this phony, draconian policy. As an aside to this, I can't help but wonder if the privatization of prison operation has something to do with the difficulty faced in revamping these kinds of laws. Got to keep a steady stream of customers to make a profit. Nah, that's just paranoid thinking!

Even though the propostion was flawed, I voted in favor of it. And yes, there is a feeling that it will pass next time around because of 1) fixing the flaws, 2) larger voter turnout in "regular" elections as opposed to mid terms, and in general, the feeling here that "who gives a f***?. One of Governor Terminator's final acts was to decriminalize possession of <1oz to the same as a traffic ticket.

I've yet to read a compelling argument for not legalizing something far less harmful than alcohol. We're spending waaaaaay too much money trying to enforce BS laws. Watch a couple episodes of "Cops" to see the waste of manpower on pot, hookers, etc.

Stepping off of soap box... [laugh]

Even though the propostion was flawed, I voted in favor of it. And yes, there is a feeling that it will pass next time around because of 1) fixing the flaws, 2) larger voter turnout in "regular" elections as opposed to mid terms, and in general, the feeling here that "who gives a f***?. One of Governor Terminator's final acts was to decriminalize possession of <1oz to the same as a traffic ticket.

I've yet to read a compelling argument for not legalizing something far less harmful than alcohol. We're spending waaaaaay too much money trying to enforce BS laws. Watch a couple episodes of "Cops" to see the waste of manpower on pot, hookers, etc.

Stepping off of soap box... [laugh]

I'll trade you your Gov. Terminator for the thieving scumbag Gov. elect of the State of Fla. Sorry, that's off topic. Although, Fla.'s new guy headed up a company that paid a $1.75 BILLION fine for Medicare fraud. I'll bet I can guess where he lands on the medical pot issue. At least CA. has that element of the debate sorted out. I think that's half the battle.

I believe that next time around it'll become legal.

Then the government will try and figure out how to get its share of the pie.

First question:

How are they going to regulate the guy who grows a couple of plants for personal use? Will they send in the backyard garden enforcement squad in order to tax its' citizens?

That'll be just great.

I can see it now.

"Well Mr. NorthernCaliforniaman, you grew two plants without a permit. That's a $250.00 fine for each plant grown. And while we're at it. It looks like you will harvest 1.5 lbs of bud this season. Therefore your tax is $150.00."

I know that's extreme but that's how government is people.

I believe that next time around it'll become legal.

Then the government will try and figure out how to get its share of the pie.

First question:

How are they going to regulate the guy who grows a couple of plants for personal use? Will they send in the backyard garden enforcement squad in order to tax its' citizens?

That'll be just great.

I can see it now.

"Well Mr. NorthernCaliforniaman, you grew two plants without a permit. That's a $250.00 fine for each plant grown. And while we're at it. It looks like you will harvest 1.5 lbs of bud this season. Therefore your tax is $150.00."

I know that's extreme but that's how government is people.

$650 is still a fair price! [tongue]

I'm an old fart, and maybe I got it all wrong, but back in the day, we all knew the rules, and as such I never had a problem...

Later in life, as an officer in a club that did a lot of bass fishing, I used to take pains to warn the youngsters that a bust for pot in CA was one thing, but when fishing on the Colorado, a bust by the Arizona folks was something else again, they'd look at me like I was crazy. But none got busted on my watch.

Do what you do, know the risks and rewards, and then forget about the rest of it.

Harrumph.

The guys doing 30 years in Mississippi for the attempted possession of a joint were probably doing something else wrong.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

He's still a ******bag.

BINGO!

I find it endlessly irritating when Robertson is associated with my "team" in social/legal matters.

I voted against legalization in Arizona for the same reasons as Cali-Man, the law was written horribly.

Maybe they were high when drafting the legislation????

Didn't matter - it passed anyway.

As far as prescriptions - insomnia.

Yep.

Tell a doctor you're having trouble sleeping and you're in like that.

No proof of diagnosis, no positive tests, no "evidence" to support any infirmity required.

Almost as stupid as kids on Ritalin.

I see this thread was doing fine so far - my apologies if my mere presence dooms it like so many others....

I voted against legalization in Arizona for the same reasons as Cali-Man, the law was written horribly. I see this thread was doing fine so far - my apologies if my mere presence dooms it like so many others....

Neo, good to hear from you.

Hope all is well at the compound.

My condolences to you and the Mrs. at this difficult time.

I don't see the demise of this subject anytime soon.

It's always good to get other points of view.

People just need to relax and not let it get ugly.

Having been in the presence of some of the original founders of the Moral Majority it sure is interesting to hear a man like Pat Robertson speak out against draconian laws associated with marijuana.

I can respect that even though I might not agree with everything Robertson says.

Thanks buddy.

But other threads I posted in disappeared this very day.

Seems like I have the "whatever-is-the-opposite-of-Midas Touch" eh?

I liked something I heard from John Stossel a few weeks ago.

Any new law put in place should be accompanied by five laws being REMOVED from the books.

I like it alot.

Europe goes all different ways on the mary jane business. Italy is ok to have a gram of hash, but zero marijuana. Holland is starting to close down the coffee shops after 30 years of liberty. (any hard drugs were dealt with very severely) Switzerland allows and ounce of marijuana but it is sold to hang in you closet against moths...

Still can't see putting a kid in prison for a little smoke though. But whatever, the government has to give the Mafia some high profit market.

I'm an insomniac, I'd rather a spliff any day over Valium.

Archived