Gibson Brands Forums

Accepting Tonal Defeat

heymisterk

I have read on this fine Forum that it is nearly impossible to exactly copy most guitarists' exact tone. After years of trying, I have come to realize I cannot get Pete Townsend's exact "Live at Leeds" tone. I...

-play an SG Classic with the P-90s.

-play through a Mesa-Boogie tube amp

-have rolled back the guitar's volume while cranking the amps gain, which is what I have read helps. And it does.

-play solos through a VooDoo SuperFuzz

The only thing left to do, I think, is play with heavy gauge strings and buy vintage HiWatt amps and have them modded like he did.

So, I am hanging it up! [rolleyes] I will continue to play you, Live at Leeds, more than any other album, but like Stages of Grief, I have finally arrived at Acceptance. :-({|=

Anybody been here? [biggrin]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup.

realized that I can't sound like most others about a year ago, and that's when I really started to write my own stuff and move away from covers.

I can get close to Jack White, but its always different, and in no way can I reach his solo tone, but for riffs and chords, I have it just about down, but not quite. Same for Black Keys stuff.

Just keep it up man, do your own stuff, that's always the best [thumbup]

Yes, but with the bass. I gave up a long time ago trying to do Mountain's Felix Pappalardi sound. I don't have the resources to acquire those magnificent Sunn Amps he used.

Yes, but with the bass. I gave up a long time ago trying to do Mountain's Felix Pappalardi sound. I don't have the resources to acquire those magnificent Sunn Amps he used.

I have a Sunn [biggrin]

Never giving that baby up, but thinking about turning it into a head instead of a combo...

I know we all have tones that reach into your soul and grab it. There is just something about that Live at Leeds sound - and Woodstock, for that matter - that is just so compelling to me. It is just such a pure sound; that's the only way I can describe it. The biggest step I made, obviously, was buying the a guitar with P-90s. I have become quite the disciple, even though I know they have their flaws. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I have read on this fine Forum that it is nearly impossible to exactly copy most guitarists' exact tone. After years of trying, I have come to realize I cannot get Pete Townsend's exact "Live at Leeds" tone. I...

-have rolled back the guitar's volume while cranking the amps gain, which is what I have read helps. And it does.

The only thing left to do, I think, is play with heavy gauge strings and buy vintage HiWatt amps and have them modded like he did.

So, I am hanging it up! [rolleyes] I will continue to play you, Live at Leeds, more than any other album, but like Stages of Grief, I have finally arrived at Acceptance. :-({|=

Doesn't matter if you can ever get the tone, because everyone plays differently, so how their amp expresses their playing will be different to how it expresses yours.

What I like to do is, design a rig around the same lines as someone I like, say Joe Bonamassa and Eric Johnson and Eric Clapton. Look at the common features; multi amp setup, the difference, Eric uses different amps for different tones, where as Bonamassa combines amps for tones.

Then when you have the planned rig, research everything, reduce it to what you need it for, (like instead of 4*12's use 2*12s or 1*12 cabs or combos) minimize the amount of amps, and tweak it to your taste. That way, you have an inspired rig, that is similar to whoever, but its different enough to be called your own tone. Don't copy someone elses but the only way that you are going to get a good tone without buying loads of gear and returning, is to see what your favs are using and modify that.

The Mesa is a great amp. Now Fred about that Sunn, Don't give that up for anything. If they were still around for bass i'd use it instead of the Marshall. And I like the hell out my Marshall.

I think every body has been there that actually plays and listens. Check out my reply in the Player VS. Listeners thread.

Fred has nailed it with his response to this. Quit trying to sound like someone else and try to figure out what your sound is. I'm sure you got enough to get your overall Heymisterk base tone. Then think of all the guys out their who will be trying to get your tone!!!!! msp_thumbup.gif

Tone is like a voice, everybody can say the same words, but you won't sound exactly the same. I understand that you want to be as close as possible to his tone and there's nothing wrong with that, when people sing a song they don't try to sound different, infact they try to sound the same, but no matter what you do it will never sound exactly the same, as stated tone is in the fingers, or the bottle caps, or your feet.

HiWatt still makes a Townsend model,

if not find an old one and the mod schematics are available online.

The Mesa is a great amp. Now Fred about that Sunn, Don't give that up for anything. If they were still around for bass i'd use it instead of the Marshall. And I like the hell out my Marshall.

Not one bit. Once I get more money, I gotta find a place to make a box for the head, then add a 2X12 cabinet...

I've never understood trying to match someone else's tone...I've always been about trying to find my own. And it constantly changes depending on the songs i'm writing...

I know i'm in the minority here for sure. But even covers should be played with YOUR flavour as far as I am concerned.

All in the fingers...

Everybody says this ( Not knocking you at all dem00n ) and maybe I take this too literally... but you're fingers are only responding as a conduit to your emotions, what you are hearing, and feeling at the moment. I always thought the "All in the Fingers" kind sounds like if you have big fat fingers then you will have a big fat tone etc... Skinny fingers skinny tone.... OK I know how ridiculous that sounds but that's what I always think when I hear that. There is more to it though. I mean Eddie Van Halen is not going to have the tone from VHII by playing through a a 60's Silvertone guitar and a pignose amp.... Even using the same fingers!!!! Will he play like Eddie.... Yep.... Will he play well?.... Most likely.... but his tone will sound like poop if he tries to pull off Somebody Get me a Doctor!! msp_w00t.gif Not saying that he couldn't make something that sounds cool with what he is playing through at the time....

I've never understood trying to match someone else's tone...I've always been about trying to find my own. And it constantly changes depending on the songs i'm writing...

I know i'm in the minority here for sure. But even covers should be played with YOUR flavour as far as I am concerned.

I agree with what you're saying, but there are some sounds, not even an entire song sometimes. One for me is on the Live Cream Volume 2, the opening of Tales Of Brave Ulysses when Clapton destroyed me with that power chord and the Marshalls filled the hall. When I hear that it's like being in church listening to a great pipe organ with Bach playing.

Everybody says this ( Not knocking you at all dem00n ) and maybe I take this too literally... but you're fingers are only responding as a conduit to your emotions, what you are hearing, and feeling at the moment. I always thought the "All in the Fingers" kind sounds like if you have big fat fingers then you will have a big fat tone etc... Skinny fingers skinny tone.... OK I know how ridiculous that sounds but that's what I always think when I hear that. There is more to it though. I mean Eddie Van Halen is not going to have the tone from VHII by playing through a a 60's Silvertone guitar and a pignose amp.... Even using the same fingers!!!! Will he play like Eddie.... Yep.... Will he play well?.... Most likely.... but his tone will sound like poop if he tries to pull off Somebody Get me a Doctor!! msp_w00t.gif Not saying that he couldn't make something that sounds cool with what he is playing through at the time....

Sorry but you can't disagree with Dem00n, he has the most tone in the world

Sl00sh Tone

Scorpi00ns

Gary M00re

Chuck Schuld00ner

Ritchie Blackm00re

the list of bad puns go on.

Its in the fingers by the way they push down on the frets and how hard they pick the strings. Slash pushes so hard down on his frets that he had to get a refret done on his B.C Rich, also he hits the strings really hard, creating his tone. Notice that all these guys will copy jimmy pages gear and they cant get his tone still. I have yet to find someone who has the exact tone as a other guitarist. Its sorta...impossible.

But thats what i believe, its not facts...just a bunch of rants. :P

Admittedly you will likely never sound like your hero(es) without their

head and their hands. Still I think there is nothing wrong with chasing

the tones or our heroes. It's fun and inspiring!

Regarding the HiWatt tone, you should check out Reeves Amps, Mister K.

They are built by the man behind Pete's legendary HiWatts, Dave Reeves,

and he is even making some lower wattage models. I came really close to

pullin the trigger on one of his Custom 6 or Custom 12 models before I

ordered my 18 watt CeriaTone head.

That/s why I'm more of an arrangement guy, take a song and tweak it a bit. It's refreshing to hear something a bit different. I posted the video a little while ago, but the cover of Cortez the Killer with Grace Potter and Joe Satriani is outstanding. Not the same as Neil Young's, but outstanding. Stuff like that makes you think twice

Archived