Gibson Brands Forums

Accepting Tonal Defeat

heymisterk

Its in the fingers by the way they push down on the frets and how hard they pick the strings. Slash pushes so hard down on his frets that he had to get a refret done on his B.C Rich, also he hits the strings really hard, creating his tone. Notice that all these guys will copy jimmy pages gear and they cant get his tone still. I have yet to find someone who has the exact tone as a other guitarist. Its sorta...impossible.

But thats what i believe, its not facts...just a bunch of rants. :P

I agree but Slash could play very lightly if he wanted to. It is what he is hearing and feeling emotionally ( and copious amounts of drugs and booze at least at one time) that causes him to push on the strings hard and how his picking attack is affected. Ever been nervous to play and you play harder than normal? Ever played for a few hours and play more fluidly? Ever been really inspired and you pick harder? Also tube amps play a big part in the pick attack especially the older ones that don't have a ton of gain. The harder you hit the string the more sag, compression and distortion you get from the amp. All of these will change how a player plays with their fingers.... msp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gif My Rant backmsp_biggrin.gif

And I completely agree with the exact tone comment. It is impossible... You can get close though!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I've never tried to sound like anyone but me.

I won't argue anymore about the gear vs the player. Common sense and just a smidge of paying attention is all the answer one needs to resolve that debate.

Sheesh ChanMan ya Party Pooper! msp_crying.gif Since when has reason, common sense, and paying attention been a factor?? msp_flapper.gif

This argument degrades quickly between the "It's the gear" and "it's the player" folks.

Reality, facts and past performance rarely make a difference in anyone's opinions.

I'll just say it's very obvious, at least to me.

I've never understood trying to match someone else's tone...I've always been about trying to find my own. And it constantly changes depending on the songs i'm writing...

I know i'm in the minority here for sure. But even covers should be played with YOUR flavour as far as I am concerned.

fully agree on this

Some have already said that if Eddie Van Halen doesn't play with X gear he will no longer sound like Eddie.

I guess the question one should ask oneself is: Given how many different amps, guitars and effects he's used over the years, do I really believe that?

This is BS. Tone is your guitar + your amp. If all you need is fingers, why spend $2000 on a guitar and $1500 on an amp?

Cuz you THINK tone is in the guitar and amp. The truth lies somewhere i the middle...I've never spent more than $1000 on any of my guitars and i get compliments on my tone all the time. Its 3 parts fingers, 1 part equipment.

Leslie West with Mountain had one of the most unique sounds I've ever heard. All done with the hands.

Leslie said he used his style of playing to compensate for not being that fast on the neck. Great style.

This is BS. Tone is your guitar + your amp. If all you need is fingers, why spend $2000 on a guitar and $1500 on an amp?

As silly as this sounds on the surface.... no gear at all means no tone at all. We had a HUGE thread about this 2 years ago... and guess what. NO guitar and NO amp means NO tone.

[lol]

Cuz you THINK tone is in the guitar and amp. The truth lies somewhere i the middle...I've never spent more than $1000 on any of my guitars and i get compliments on my tone all the time. Its 3 parts fingers, 1 part equipment.

Tell yourself what ever you need to. As much as your style and technique influence your sound, your ability to dial in good tone comes from your ability to get your instrument and equipment to work the way you want it to. Its in your ears, not your fingers.

Sorry but fingers are fingers they are controlled by muscles and the brain. How they react are through stimulus from the mind and what the artist is hearing and feeling. The fingers are just the paint brushes for the artist vision. If I cut off Eddie Van Halen's hands and had them transplanted to my arms would I then be able to play and sound like Eddie Van Halen???? I'm thinking not.

If I had Eddie Van Halen's exact Rig and Recording Set-up from Van Halen II could I come close to copping his tone... Yes but not exactly. I doubt Eddie could at this point because his ears and mind for music have changed over the years. Would he sound closer to he Van Halen II Tone than me? Yep He's Eddie Van Halen! msp_flapper.gif

I'm talking about specific tone and not players feel or vibe or "General Tone" Sticking with the Eddie Scenario his tone changed from album to album and so did his style and his writing. His tone today sounds nothing like it did in 78. Same Fingers! Does he still sound like Eddie? Yep... Does he have a tone that's recognizable Yep...

A good example of this is Eddie telling Matt Bruck that his #1 Marshall didn't sound as good as it used to and he thought that the transformers were getting weak. Matt said the amp sounded great but had it completely serviced anyway but Ed still said it didn't sound the same. It probably doesn't sound exactly the same ( It is my opinion no tube amp can sound exactly the same from the first day it is played ) but I think Eddie's ear and taste in tone has changed.

I don't think tone has a dollar amount. Tone is what you make of what you have to work with. If I wanted a good Metal Tone I wouldn't be able to get it playing a 12 string Rickenbacker straight into a Roland JC120 Regardless of how hard I tried and how "Metalfied" my fingers were. Could I make up something and tweak my style to produce a good tone using that combination yes.... Could it have a "Heavy" feel? yep...

and with that I say.... I think it has something to do with toenails! msp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gif

Andy

Archived