Gibson Brands Forums

Which effects pedal would you buy?

luis911

Hey if you had a $150 gift card a gibson les paul with p90 pickups and a Marshall avt2000 combo amp, which effects pedals would you guys buy. I'm in that situation right now so I need some help on that. I dont own any pedals.

how long is a bit of string? [biggrin], as said need more info on your playing style and what effect your after B)

I dunno, I like classical spanish music. Like flamenco style.

I Like neil young

Radiohead

Tool.

DAmn I like all genres lol. But let me make it easier for you guys. Jimmy Page. Thats it lol.

My amp has reverb and overdrive. Sounds really good

I like to set my overdrive with high gain and also my clean channel

I dunno, I like classical spanish music. Like flamenco style.

I Like neil young

Radiohead

Tool.

DAmn I like all genres lol. But let me make it easier for you guys. Jimmy Page. Thats it lol.

Perhaps something like this then to help you narrow down what you'd use vs what would just gather dust?

http://guitars.music...edal?sku=580863

Get a Big Muff Pi. Best pedal you'll ever buy. msp_thumbup.gif Also a Crybaby Wah is good. Other suggestions I have are the Ibanez Tube Screamer, Greenhouse Effects No Brainer, Electro Harmonix Freeze, Fuzz Face, Fuzz Factory, BOSS Loop Station, and the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail.

Now there's a good list to choose from! msp_thumbup.gif

Get a Big Muff Pi. Best pedal you'll ever buy. msp_thumbup.gif Also a Crybaby Wah is good. Other suggestions I have are the Ibanez Tube Screamer, Greenhouse Effects No Brainer, Electro Harmonix Freeze, Fuzz Face, Fuzz Factory, BOSS Loop Station, and the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail.

Now there's a good list to choose from! msp_thumbup.gif

+1!! All good choices..

I would happily weigh in in favour of the Big Muff Pi as well, but as you have a Marshall with overdrive on hand, I'm not sure it should be top of your list. I have a very clean Fender and so it was top of the pedal pops for me, and the only pedal I had until I bought a Belcat delay six months ago. Of course a fuzz would give you something different from your overdrive, but whether a Big Muff would be distinctive enough as a first pedal, I'm not sure. It's well known for giving you 'tube-like' distorsion, which is probably what your Marshall OD channel is offering. Also my Muff's a Black Russian which is discontinued and possibly hard to find. From all the sound clips I've heard, I'm not sure I'd recommend the more fuzzy, trebly US version as highly (though it certainly is one of the best inexpensive distorsions out there). If you really like Jimmy Page, you should think about an analogue delay for those Lemon Song slapback moments. The Belcat cost me around £30 sterling with postage and it certainly does that sound very nicely. But all in all, I think that Chanman's suggestion is a very good, pragmatic one, because it should give you a decent digital delay, plus tremelo (something I love but get from my Fender amp), plus any other effect you fancy. As it's a Digitech box with an expression pedal, it also does some of the Digitech Whammy stuff - always useful if your Radiohead fandom stretches to covering My Iron Lung. Unfortunately the Whammy itself appears to be just outside your price range.

The Big Muff was my first cool pedal. I think it's pretty cool.

Jimmy Page used a Tone Bender mkII and later an mkIII. You can find a good clone in your price range but I don't know if the store you have a gift card to would carry one.

As far as delay goes I really love my EHX Stereo Memory Man With Hazarai.

My first pedal was an Ibanez TS-10 Tube Screamer, I had it before I had an amp. I was running into my portable stereo (aka Ghetto Blaster), it had a 1/4 mic jack but no Gain so I used then TS-10 for a preamp.

But perhaps you'd like a chous or delay, specially if there's no reverb on your amp a little delay wouldn't hurt. Personally i hate playing with delay, love listening to players that use it, but can't stand in on my own signal....go figure.

You'll have to decide...you'll have to decide....you'll have to decide...

boss ns2 noise supressor is my friend...if ya play with high gain :-k

great for dealing with eliminating 60 cycle hum that is prevalent with single coil pups.

les paul+ marshall= rock heaven.

tweek knobs, you'll find that you can dial up a bunch of cool tones.

of course that is just MHO.

I would get a wah.

If you already like how your amp/guitar sounds and just want to get something to have fun with while not spending much, I'd go the way ChanMan sugested, a multifx unit. You can have lots of fun with them, play with all the effects and if/when you find one you really like and want to be able to set up completely you can get that single effect and keep the pedalboard for playing around.

Archived