Gibson Brands Forums

Hell Freezes Over: I need gun buying advice

heymisterk

And you guys may wanna think twice about making fun of Granny.

Fringe Lunatic - listen up...

My mother is in her seventies, and will kill somebody graveyard dead with her 22Mag revolver.

(I took her 38 away, so she doesn't break bones in her hand.)

She has displayed a gun three times since she was 50, to change the mind of some youthful dirtbag.

In this thread, I wonder how many of YOUR mothers would have been victims instead.

Maybe you didn't notice, but I made it clear I wouldn't be giving a Granny with Gun Savvy any advice at all. My Mom AND Dad taught me to shoot when I was 6, and around these mountains that was a late start. I'm just not sure giving anybody a gun and saying, "Now use it under pressure." is a good idea. There's a Good Chance they'll yank away at a Safe Trigger or and Empty Chamber, thereby giving the assailant the weapon.

Keep in mind, my arguments are not against gun ownership, but for gun education. I even think we should teach Air Soft as an elective in schools and Shooting with .22 in High School.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reality check here, every weapon has pros and cons. Shooters are different, just like the weapons are different. This guy needs to do an overall evaluation of all the information given to him. Here's hoping he never has to make the ultimate decision.

My own "grannies."

Grandma W. shot jackrabbits with a revolver from her front porch in ranch country around the turn of the last century. My own Mom preferred a rifle, with which she was proficient.

Grandma D. had shooting competition medals she was extremely proud of. My brother has her Model 12 16 gauge shotgun that helped feed the family in the 1930s. Dad always said she never went hunting with the boys, though, because she outshot any of 'em.

Funny thing is that her home defense weapon of choice was one of the old "fitness" things called an Indian Club that looks kinda like a bowling pin. <grin> Not tall, somewhere there's a photo of her picking up my Dad in one arm and Mom in the other.

Violence, even converting one's own livestock into food for the table, is not part of life for most people today. As a result, folks aren't used to the idea of any sort of injuring others or taking a life. It's not a decision a sane person takes lightly in a civilian situation.

m

Fenn, I think we all know that I have a few guns to choose from....

[rolleyes]

My main carry is the Glock 10mm.

Always in my truck when I travel off my driveway.

But in my pocket, or when I'm riding my motorcycle, it's a S&W Airweight in .38 +P.

I have plenty of choices in semi and revolver, those are my preference.

But yes, it's not a simple question for most people.

My wife wants a gun that requires only a point and squeeze.

She's fine with a semi-auto, but doesn't want ANY additional mechanical complications.

She's found herself in a spot a couple of times - once she grabbed the 10mm.

When I asked her why later, she just said she wanted to make damned sure she was able to defend herself.

Yeah, 15 rounds of 135 grain Cor-Bon will work!!!

My mother can operate anything.

But I fear she may not have the hand strength the pull the slide on a large semi-auto when it counts.

She knows this, and is very happy with a small revolver using badass ammo.

Hornady 22 Magnum.

B)

ah, but the snub is your BUG and not your CC/OC AND home defense gun. And giving a total noob a snub (and an Airweight no less) is not a great idea based on my own personal experience...the 642 was my first handgun. I bought it based on the conventional advice being repeated here and my wife and I hated that gun. If you could only have one gun for carry and home, would you pick a 5 shot revolver?

Your main carry is a Glock. Why not carry a Ruger .44 or a Smith K frame? I personally prefer the 1911, but a low capacity and my fear of not disengaging the thumb safety keeps me from carrying one most of the time. Of course I'm old school and carry a Colt 1918 reproduction when I do. Low profile sites and no fancy beaver tail for me. [biggrin]

The glock is the revolver of the semi-autos but without the weaknesses/drawbacks: point and shoot, no switches to mess with and ridiculously reliable.

I have a K frame.

And a 44 or three, just not in a Ruger.

[rolleyes]

My 642 is for carry - that's it.

Shooting it is a chore.

None of my friends will shoot it anymore.

Spanks them too badly.

The Ruger SP101 in 357 is easier to handle due to the added weight/mass.

With a 3" barrel, I would recommend it to anybody as a beginner.

But I wanted something light enough to carry in my shorts pocket on a hot day.

642 works like a charm.

My own viewpoint on firearms is identical to my perspective on guitars. Playability. Period. Everything else is secondary. Each of us will have preferences of basic shape, scale length, nut width, fretboard radius...

Neo, try a .32 Beretta for your Mom???? Or .380 - one with the tip-up barrel so it's quite easy to load and you need not rack the slide. And the thumb safety is pretty much like a 1911.

Yeah, if I had only one sidearm for "defense," it would be a chief special that was a gift from a couple of Marine gunnery sergeants. It shoots better than I do past 15 yards. With the T grip added, it fits like an ES175. Are either the "best?" I dunno; don't care.

But then "my" deer rifle is the first "big bore" I ever owned. Look at a deer, lift it, the crosshairs are on target. 3-4 inch groups at 200 yards all day, all weather. A Marlin .30-30 technically ain't much. It fits me.

Out in the country I dunno. Probably a bigger arm, possibly a single action .357. It'll take a coyote out beyond where my eyes are good enough, or one of the young male mountain lions capering around here on occasion. Never hadda worry about a griz, so never cared for big stuff. A .357 Mod. '92 clone with a 16" barrel is fun, especially with the oversize lever. <grin> Probably good enough out to 100 yards if needed, preferably 50.

Seriously, I never felt comfy with a Glock. Nothing against 'em; as I said, my brother wears one daily. I don't care for an LP, either, or Fender necks.

Playability. A neck that seems "right" for your playing style. <grin> Quality construction and good hardware.

EDIT: Thompson is awfully heavy, regardless of magazine. No thanks.

m

Nah, Milo,

She likes her revolver.

I had enough trouble getting her to swap the .38 for the .22Mag.

[rolleyes][unsure][crying]

Thompson is awfully heavy, regardless of magazine. No thanks.

Kinda like a Gibson EDS-1275 double neck, eh?

Can't justify that either, makes no sense at all - but I like it a lot... [thumbup]

Damn......protect your guns; As cool as guns are.........they are still tangable items....just like guitars...

Guns don't steal guitars...people do....Guns don't steal guns...people do; my gun collection was stolen...........worth over $20,000.00 .......****, bad people suck....insure your guns.......

My interest is in guitars now, not guns....................No one should steal, ever.....but, hey......there's bad people out there.......

Protect your house first......and get a gun or two.........and get insurance on your guns............

Some gun dealers (not sporting goods shops who also sell guns) have an indoor target range where you can safely try out different types of guns. You should be able to decide if a 9MM auto is suited to your hand.

BTW The NRA was instituted for the distribution of decommissioned US Military arms. Part of their mission is training civilians in the safe use of guns. Don't let the network media fool you different. Of late they have been very active in keep the constitution protected. The NRA is not a mean corporate entity. It is you, me and others who fear for our safety and protect ourselves. If you get training, as you should, it will likely be directly or indirectly because of the NRA.

Good luck in your selection.

Neo...

You're a bigger guy than I am - and a lot younger. <grin>

But even when I was your age, no way for either one of those heavier ... items. I tried a double neck solid body once. Whooee, not for me.

All kidding aside, I look at some of the WWII documentaries and see guys I know aren't as big as I am, and they're hauling those things. Sheesh.

I think the movies that show 'em being played with like a toy must have very lightweight props instead of the real thing.

OTOH, I never understood why some folks thought the 1911 was heavy.

m

Actually....

a couple of these:

Viking%20Sword%20II.JPG

One of these:

viking_spear_and_cooking_pans.jpg

Some of these:

samurai-decorative.jpg

and one of these, of course....:

fajana.jpg

would be my easiest at hand.

I have things that go bang, too, but I could have these in seconds.

:ph34r:

Try this. Take your favored swinging weapon, sword, spear, ball bat, nun-chuck, whatever. Now walk into your hall way, Now swing it at an intruder..... Go to the hardware store for spackle.

I'm sorry, but I stopped supporting the NRA a long time ago. I support georgiacarry.org who actually do something for GA gun owners and are successful.

The NRA is not there for my interests, they don't lobby for the self defense shooter who likes "assault rifles", auto pistols and other "non-hunting arms".

Bubba the hunter is not my comrade. They will sell out the 2nd and gun owners like me the first chance they get if it saves their deer rifle and shotgun.

The NRA does the same. You guys that keep throwing cash to them, that's your right, but not me.

No kidding, a few years back an older (late 50's) lady here (who happened to own this convenience store) was working at night and a young punk decided to go in and rob her as she worked the register. He brandished a knife so she reached under the counter and pulled out a .38 and pointed it right at his chest. He took off running, on the security footage you can see her then coming around the corner of the register with a full leg cast on. Tough lady there, I sure as hell wouldn't mess with her.

You guys have certainly given me a lot to consider. It sounds to me like what I need to do first is find a reputable, honest gun shop and really start from scratch. And with a decision as monumental as owning a lethal weapon, you had better believe I will do just that.

Dumb Novice Looking Ahead Question: What are your guys' feelings on handguns that come equipped with some sort of laser to mark the target? Sorry guys: this is a guitar website, and this whole gun thing is new to me!

I am a gun owner kind of guy.

I am also a competitive shooter and have been all my life. Jeff Cooper a well respected expert on all things guns once said "Owning a gun doesn't make you protected any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician". I'm sure on this forum you can appreciate the analogy.

DO take the local gun safety class from an authorized teacher. Do ask the teacher to work with you in selection. Buying a first gun is a lot like buying a first pair of cowboy boots. You don't have a frame of reference to lean on and you won't know if your choice was correct until a while later.

In the course of doing all this the instructor should ask you a lot of questions. You need to decide some very critical things now, rather than waiting until the fertilizer impacts the ventilation system.

In a big sense, if a gun feels good to you it will shoot good for you. I would ALSO like others have done suggest that you don't put any value in what you see on TV, or the movies. This includes all the spray and pray high capacity semi auto handguns. A good quality revolver with grips that fit your hands is going to get you about 95% of the way toward being armed. You can work on that other 5% later.

Take the course, or courses. Get your carry permit if your state allows them, pay attention to your instructor and then, as all good guitar players will attest, you are not going to be good at using that gun unless you practice with it. Devote some serious time, at least right now, to practice. Safety is Number One. Training is Number Two, and Practice is Number three.

Calibers, brands, capacity, firepower and all that stuff is way down the list of things you need to consider for survival. A well trained warrior with a baseball bat will beat an untrained, ill practiced, confused and undecided person with a gun every time.

I also agree with the already mentioned shotgun for the house, and the revolver only for carry. A wise man once said that the only purpose for a handgun is to fight your way to a long gun. Specifically in home defense - a shotgun.

Did I mention Practice?

Big Ron

Laser....

Depends on the usage.

Don't forget that a laser functionally goes in a straight line and a bullet starts offset from that laser source. Technically it only is "on target" at some sort of intersection - if any - of the laser.

OTOH, some folks say the laser is wonderful for getting people to reconsider evildoing when they see it marking various places on their anatomy.

It gets you into the ballpark; at night and you have some time, it gets you there quite nicely. I suppose with practice it would do well rapidly. When I was considering one the lasers weren't strong enough to work in brighter sunlight.

Many add weight and/or bulk, especially some designs. Some, such as the Glock, 1911, etc., have had them designed to be part of the arm, but that should be done, I personally think, by a pro. Others can be on a set of grips for a revolver or a set of grips for such as the 1911. Depends on price, design and what may trip the trigger of your mind. <grin>

I've never had one, myself, and never felt I've cheated myself. I'm no luddite, arms or guitars, but I am a great believer in "playability" of both. So... pay your money and take your choice. I do think if you're not experienced, you probably should learn and practice "regular" sights first... With the laser and a sidearm the laser "spot" will wiggle on a target and that may be offputting for some folk.

m

Fringe Lunatic - listen up...

My mother is in her seventies, and will kill somebody graveyard dead with her 22Mag revolver.

(I took her 38 away, so she doesn't break bones in her hand.)

She has displayed a gun three times since she was 50, to change the mind of some youthful dirtbag.

In this thread, I wonder how many of YOUR mothers would have been victims instead.

My grandmother - a tough old Polish woman (rest her soul) also "defended" herself with her firearm. A bad guy was entering through a window in her home about 30 years ago, and she shouted "I have a gun and I will shoot you dead." She had worked in the GM shop in Saginaw, Michigan ever since WWII, knew how to talk tough, and certainly sounded like she meant it (she had a gun and she did mean it). The punk knocked over a lamp getting back out the window as fast as he could.

Even without the gun, she probably would have kicked the guy's teeth in, but no doubt a crime averted by a gun!

I am a gun owner kind of guy.

I am also a competitive shooter and have been all my life. Jeff Cooper a well respected expert on all things guns once said "Owning a gun doesn't make you protected any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician". I'm sure on this forum you can appreciate the analogy.

Did I mention Practice?

Big Ron

Are you saying I'm not a musician???

Archived