Gibson Brands Forums

Fresh From NAMM 2011

Kineman Karma

Is it just me, or does Henry look a bit like "Data" (Star Trek-Next Generation), in that photo...

especially, with the curly cord, up the back of his neck. :rolleyes:

CB

Wow...maybe...but I know this much...the guy could stand to loosen up a bit and add some inflection in his voice. Comes off like a total stick in the mud.

In regards to the Firebird X...don't know much about them other than that a huge amount of the traditional fanbase finds them appauling; but I can't blame Gibson for "going there". Given the way the consumer market has changed because of technology, I'm sure they've got their reasons for doing what they're doing.

iPods, iPads, homebrew software, and on and on...it's no wonder. If I remember correctly, I thought I read that the "OS" of the guitar will support "homebrew" applications...I'm sorry...but that is awesome. Ugly or not, it's the way things are going, and they're going this way across all consumer industries. Frankly, I'd say music (in regards to traditional instruments) is very late to the inevitable party.

Luddite, that I may be...I really don't have as much problem, with

the technology, involved...now, or furture...it's a fact of life!

BUT...WHY can't they put it into a more traditional, proven, design?

OR...at least make it beautiful, if more futuristic. I'm sorry...

but, that current abomination, is scary, clunky-ugly...IMHO. ;>b

It's like putting a Ferrari V-12 engine in a Yugo! ;>)

CB

I'm surprised to hear...actually, can't believe...that the Firebird Xs are sold out. [blink]

Is it just me, or does Henry look a bit like "Data" (Star Trek-Next Generation), in that photo...

Maybe 24th century Gibson sent him back in time to start the revolution sooner and destroy their competitors? Unlikely, but think about it...

[biggrin]

I'm surprised to hear...actually, can't believe...that the Firebird Xs are sold out. [blink]

Maybe 24th century Gibson sent him back in time to start the revolution sooner and destroy their competitors? Unlikely, but think about it...

[biggrin]

Well, maybe he thinks the competition is run by the "Borg,"...but, come to think of it,

the "X" looks more like something the "Borg" would make. So...??? [biggrin]

CB

+ 1.

I hear it's versatile and comfortable to play, but, to me, it looks like a guitar designed by an automobile dashboard designer.

I'd rather have an Zoot Suit SG; at least I could have that re-finned and have a nice looking guitar. There's no hope for the Firebird X...

...and, like you, I can not believe they have sold out.

They may be sold out, but how many have they actually MADE??

If they only made 100 so far, it's not tough to have them 'sold out'!

My dealer wants nothing to do with the things. He couldn't sell the Robots he got stuck with, and doesn't see the X doing any better.

It seems to me that this kind of thing was tried by several companies in the 60's, with predictably hilarious results.

They may be sold out, but how many have they actually MADE??

If they only made 100 so far, it's not tough to have them 'sold out'!

My dealer wants nothing to do with the things. He couldn't sell the Robots he got stuck with, and doesn't see the X doing any better.

It seems to me that this kind of thing was tried by several companies in the 60's, with predictably hilarious results.

Remember the Rickenbackers (in the '60's), that had a "light show" built in?! LOL

They go for mega bucks, now...must be the "novelty factor?!" ;>b

CB

I guess the Firebird X could end up like the '58 Explorer, but only because so few get sold! At least I HOPE that's the way it plays out.

Who knows, I could be way off base and the X winds up being a huge success. But I've seen too many goofy ideas come and go over the years to have much expectation for it. Really good ideas are usually apparent from the beginning, Floyd Rose's system was an obvious winner from day one, and that was before the fine tuners were developed! We guitarists are really a strange breed! We are so technology driven, always trying new things, yet clinging stubbornly to our tube amps and vintage axes. It's no wonder that manufacturers have such a hard time getting a read on what we'll like and what we won't!

First video, pause at 3.17

What are all those extra plates for?/

I know the biggest is probably the Floyd rose....but the rest?

I see the neck joint and belly scarf cutaways

Maybe the Alex Lifeson signature Les Paul?

Like an Axcess, but with stuff like coil-taps, and a Graphtech Floyd Rose-type design tremolo unit with the built-in ghost system, piezo pickup etc.

DSC_4633.jpg

DSC_4634.jpg

P1130248.JPG

Even if the X is a failure, I don't think it will have been a mistake. Now, you may be scratching your heads at that statement, but I believe by doing this when they're doing it, Gibson may very well be positioning themselves to be the leader in this emerging "category" of instruments. This goes a long way in regards to perceived value and brand value.

In a way, I think Sony has already walked a similar path with their gaming console division. Some of their decisions have been huge gambles, and yet, it's ended up on positive stride's and they continue to be thought of as at the forefront for console gaming systems...pushing technology and forcing developers to work on a completely brand new kind of operating system. This was seen as a huge mistake by many "hardcore", traditional gamers, but has also yielded some of the best games available this generation, as well as games that literally cannot be replicated on the competitors consoles.

Gibson isn't walking away from the traditional, time-tested guitars which have made them who they are. They will learn from the mistakes of the Firebird X, improve upon it, and potentially emerge a leader in this new segment. Just as they did with the Les Paul when electric guitars were emerging technology.

One thing I'd like to point out for the Firebird X being sold out, as mentioned already we don't know how many they're making so sold out could be a very low number.

Also, having a friend who's a Gibson dealer, I know that Gibson often requires their dealers to purchase a certain amount of stock as part of their allocation, even if the dealer doesn't want it. If you want guitars A, B, and C, then you must also buy guitars D, E, and F. Its like new car packages, if you want the cool stereo, you gotta upgrade to the whole leather and bling package - no different here.

If Gibson really wants to push these things, you can bet that's happening. So just because Gibson is selling them out to dealers, that does not mean there is a desire for them on the customer side. They could very well end up sitting unsold in dealer shops, but Gibson considers them sold because the dealer bought them.

If Gibson really wants to push these things, you can bet that's happening. So just because Gibson is selling them out to dealers, that does not mean there is a desire for them on the customer side. They could very well end up sitting unsold in dealer shops, but Gibson considers them sold because the dealer bought them.

I would say most suppliers/manufacturers think this way. Their product is "sold" when it's shipped to retailers, not when Joe Blow walks out of GC with one. By definition, it is sold, so it's not inaccurate of them to make that claim.

I agree though, the initial inventory that has "sold out" may very well be low. And as you mentioned, select retailers my have been..."persuaded" to take in the inventory. At any rate, and I believe the point you were making; it's not an indication of consumer demand. As far as we know...

I believe the point you were making; it's not an indication of consumer demand.

Yes, that is exactly my point.

I highly doubt there is a consumer demand so great for these that they are already sold out. Its just a number game because however many they've made, have been allocated to dealers (probably by coercion and not desire on the dealer's part) and thus are considered sold by Gibson.

Archived