Gibson Brands Forums

Better nail that solo!

Bowdiddley

Actually, i feel quite sorry for the guitarist. Ok, whatever the reason he screwed up and it sucked. The other side of the coin being that he at least had the balls to be up there on a stage and perform. If anything it will either make hime practice harder or give up and wreck any shred of confidence.

As for the slapping, i would have been tempted to grab a mike and tell the audience you couldnt concentrate because the lead singer made a pass at you and slapped you because you turned him down!!

Watch the bass player. He seems to be going after the guitar player too. I would say its not so much the solo, but that he stopped and the whole band stopped. None seemed to happy or surprised by this, so I would hazard a guess and say this wasn't the first time.

I mean, if it was the first time, everyone would probably stop and look around going [confused]

Just my 2 cents

OK so I had to watch this again... Don't know why but I did. First of all what in the hell are they singing? Is it english? Sounds like the guy is singing he lost his dog or dodge or ****** or something. You can tell that the whole band isn't very tight on this song and the guitar player is desperately looking over at the Bass player to find some reference. I bet it was an "Original" that the singer wrote and they rehearsed once or twice at some point. They were probably running short on songs to play so the singer whipped this out ( I had a singer that would do this crap all the time, we might play a few bars of something during a rehearsal and he would just add it to the set!) Anyway it sounds like this was the end of the song and they end on that little "hook". It seems like the guitar player thought it ended a measure or two earlier because he looks over at the guys like "What the F*&K?) So he jumps back in and adds the little end. It doesn't seem like they just fell apart because they all stop at the same time. Usually if it were going to crash and burn it would start by one person stopping and a lot of looking around at each other as everyone kinda stops on their own. Now I want to see the unedited version!

It's also funny that after the "Singer" smacks the dude the Bass player lunges at him a little as well. And why the hell is the Singer standing behind the guitar player? And why does he leave the stage? Okay I have to get busy doing something else... I can't believe I spent so much time analyzing this...

Andy

My brother (a crew boss) worked on the 'Dangerous' tour with MJ. He'd watch the rehearsals and said MJ blew his top backstage if things weren't right. He demanded perfection.

I bet he lost his mind after each and every surgery.

Van Morrison was very similar in his performance when I saw him at the 40th anniversary of the Montreux Jazz festival in 2006. He looked so stressed out on stage and was continuously gesturing to his band with a clenched fist and an angry look. The band was tight and there is something to be said about running a tight ship but not to where it makes people in the audience uncomfortable. Ruined the experience for me.

In this video, the singer really smacks him. Only my brothers ever got away with that without some consequence (I'm short so often didn't fight back physically) but there are other ways. Interesting to see though.

If there was an audience I doubt they were able to hold their attention. Just guessing, but the feel of the stage and time of day suggest a festival or county fair type of set up. The audience was probably shopping for marmalade by the time these guys train wrecked.

If there was an audience I doubt they were able to hold their attention. Just guessing, but the feel of the stage and time of day suggest a festival or county fair type of set up. The audience was probably shopping for marmalade by the time these guys train wrecked.

Perhaps the band's name is TRAIN WRECK, and they were covering Squeeze's SLAP and TICKLE................

Oh, I know it's very bad of me but I laughed out loud! Just Too Funny!

No one should allow that sort of stuff to happen out front but what an absolute hoot...

Where to start?

No. On second thoughts my mother always said.."If you can't say something nice about someone then keep quiet".

I'm with those who suspect this wasn't the first time he made a slight hash of things.

Watch Highway Star, Deep Purpe, from the Come H*ll or High Water DVD..........The band starts the song, and Blackmore doesn't come on stage until the solo starts....Blackmore then throws a glass of water on Glover's head and face....I haven't mastered You-Tube yet..Perhaps someone can post it......................Blackmore has a form of ' Borderline Personality Disorder ', which makes it difficult to work with him, despite his amazing playing.....

Deep Purple. Interesting group! Years ago I used to meet up with a snapper called Fin Costello. He used to do loads of tours covering bands for the music press - he did the shots for 'Made In Japan' (they were shot in London's Hammersmith Appollo, not quite Japan...) - and he used to crease us up with some of the stuff that went on. Once, whilst on tour with DP he tells of how Roger Glover (bassist with DP) was jumped on by the rest of the band in the back of the tour bus; stripped naked; taped up with duct-tape and put off the bus half-way across the Forth Road Bridge about 7 miles west of Edinburgh where they were due to be playing that evening...

"With Friends Like These...."

P.

Archived