Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think it takes to be called a Musician?

dem00n

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a cool screen name on a guitar forum and talk about slasht00ne.

I would actually answer this, but then I would get flamed because I am most definitely not a musician according to some.

To me, a musician is someone who makes music. Makes sense no?

Yeah it does.

So you are asking if being able to play the guitar makes you a musician? I would think so, it's a musical instrument and you can play it. I'm sure your skill level would have something to do with it too. I play the guitar, bass, drums, and piano and can play the banjo, and violin. If asked I could also play the saxaphone, trumpet, and trombone (not very well, but I could play them). I would consider myself a musician.

Somebody who does music for a living and if they have another job is just a side job to continue with their musician's career.

I am not a musician, I like money too much.

I hear the one alot, it could be that to.

But it could the answer of just making music.

Have a cool screen name on a guitar forum and talk about slasht00ne.

I would actually answer this, but then I would get flamed because I am most definitely not a musician according to some.

To me, a musician is someone who makes music. Makes sense no?

It's an interesting question which I've gone back and forth on in my own head many times.

I think there needs to be a line somewhere though, I just don't know where. If I walk down the street humming an improvised tune, that doesn't make me a musician, though you could argue I'm making music.

I know this much. I've been playing for close to 2 decades now (whoa...que "feeling older" emotions...)but I don't consider myself a musician. So I guess somewhere inside me, I don't feel as though simply playing music makes one a musician.

interesting question!

the AFM seems to imply that being professional (i.e. getting paid) is part of it. but then, they're a union, so no surprise.

why is a doctor a physician, not a physicist? or, is he/she?

if you draw or paint a picture, are you automatically an artist? if you play with play doh, are you a sculptor? :)

i don't really like the term "musician" per se: sounds very clinical.

but i guess, to me: if you are inclined to play, write or perform music with any regularity, you are a musician. the repetition is what defines it (again, to me).

i really look forward to others' contributions to this one! [biggrin]

Don

I don't think you can ever call yourself a magician until you can levitate a woman and pull a rabbit out of a hat without anyone seeing how you did it.....what? Musician? Oh...nevermind!

I get it DanvillRob, prestidigitation.

I dug that word out of the back reaches of my brain, just like majic.

As for being a musician, I play guitar but I'm no wizard at it. I guess I could say I'm a musician but to what degree? I'm definitely musical. I consider other people who are much better than I am to be accomplished musicians.

Dave

I play the organ at my church. I also arrange the music. I write songs and I play two instruments. But I haven't been paid for anything music related in 15 years. Where does that put me?

The terms "professional musician" and "amateur musician" are often used. So my definition is someone who can play an instrument reasonable well.

I get it DanvillRob, prestidigitation.

I dug that word out of the back reaches of my brain, just like majic.

As for being a musician, I play guitar but I'm no wizard at it. I guess I could say I'm a musician but to what degree? I'm definitely musical. I consider other people who are much better than I am to be accomplished musicians.

Dave

I have no idea if/when someone could/should call themself a musician. I went to see John Sebastian years ago in Berkeley. He was opening for the group "America", (2 guys, I think). This was before digital tuners, and one of the guys in America was having trouble tuning his guitar.

John Sebastian walked out and quickly tuned it for him. Maybe it was a bad day, I have no idea...but that guy called himself a musician, (and I suspect he made tons of $ doing "Horse With No Name").

I think anyone who has a great passion for music and can play it can be considered a musician. Its kind of a fuzzy area. I consider anyone on here to be a musician. I think it also depends on how long.

I have ran track and cross country for 4 years, I would be considered a runner by most.

If someone made a new years resolution to run more I wouldnt consider them a runner yet. Although its nice they are trying.

I consider myself to be a guitarist due to 3 years of playing and being under instruction by someone much more experienced then me; although I have never played in front of a crowd or with a band.

Its a matter of perspective

I like to think of the term "musician" mathematically. The two limiting factors (in my opinion) are

1.) Skill, of course and

2.) Passion. Almost anyone can pluck strings but if you don't care for it, then it's a waste of yours and yours fans' time.

Multiply skill by passion, get a reliable fan base and you can consider yourself a musician.

When we get into stuff like this it's almost more a matter of semantics than anything.

For example, I've made my living with jobs that included major duties to write for publication for some 45 years. Am I a "writer?" I wrote and produced a play commissioned by a state organization. Am I also a "playwright?" I've written a few songs that have been performed in public and done live on radio, and I've written a few published poems. Am I a songwriter and poet?

Yeah, I consider myself a writer, but only "among other things" that make me who and what I am.

How about musician? Well, I've played music in public since I was 5 or 6. That's roughly 60 years, give or take. Sometimes I've been paid for it; sometimes like in past year because of the way things work for "the day job," mostly for benefits. Yeah, I'd say I consider myself a musician, but one who has not been a full time professional.

I think Mr. Natural with his comment on being a musician, but a bad musician (which I'd disagree with), kind of hits it. I think if you do music so it is part of who you are, you're a musician. If you make your living at it, you're either a professional musician or, depending on circumstances and self image, an "entertainer."

Frankly I keep coming back to the "if you do music so it is a part of who you are," as the criterion. Some of us are more talented and skilled than others. Frankly I've known some folks who were lesser talented and skilled than a lot of other folks who have been good enough "entertainers" to make a living at it - and yes, I'll still say they're "musicians" because that's part of what and who they are.

I've known a lotta folks who were quite talented and skilled at playing music who quit after high school or college. I think I still consider them musicians just as I figure a kid to played football in high school is a football player even though he hasn't been in high school for 60 or more years. His head still is affected by the experience of playing football.

Now as to guitarists being "musicians" or not? Of course we can be. There even are pieces written for guitar and/or lute and orchestra. Not as many extant, perhaps, as for piano/harpsichord and orchestra, but still serious compositions have been written and performed for guitar and pre-guitar instruments for centuries. Find an orchestral piece written before 1840 with a saxophone in it. <grin>

m

I kind of struggle with the definitions and just loving something isn't enough for me to be given the title of artist you have to give something back to the world of art.

I kind of have a two step test for music or any other kind of art. I tend to believe that to be a true artist and not just talented you need to create something new, original and distinctively yours and then you have to get it out there to others so performing and/or getting paid for making something of your own is kind of what makes you an artist.

There is a line, even if it's a fine line between being a hobbyist even if your a talented hobbyist and a professional in all of the art's. As an example I taught a class on making hammered metal beads this last weekend to a group of 8 people. One of those people works in art full time and is without question an artist and she creates her own art, the other seven though talented were hobbyists or crafters at best, and a big part of that is that the artist watched what I did and how Ii did it as I explained the tools and supplies and then she created pieces of jewelry of her own design that were very distinctive and different.

The other seven crafters watched the demo and then carefully and with different skill levels they all copied what I did exactly and tried to make their pieces just as closely as they could. to what I had made in the demonstration. To me they are crafters or hobbyist and though it's not a negative necessarily but copying my work even if done very well will never make them artists.

It's the same in music taking a class and learning a few covers makes you a guitar player or a hobbyist and after a few years you might even be a very talented hobbyist, but if your not creating something new and different you might be a good player or even a great technician but I have trouble calling that person a artist. Same thing in regards to selling art and/or performing music live even if you write songs and create your own music but don't ever perform for anyone but your self then how are you a artist what have you given back to the world.

I kind of struggle with the definitions and just loving something isn't enough for me to be given the title of artist you have to give something back to the world of art.

I kind of have a two step test for music or any other kind of art. I tend to believe that to be a true artist and not just talented you need to create something new, original and distinctively yours and then you have to get it out there to others so performing and/or getting paid for making something of your own is kind of what makes you an artist.

There is a line, even if it's a fine line between being a hobbyist even if your a talented hobbyist and a professional in all of the art's. As an example I taught a class on making hammered metal beads this last weekend to a group of 8 people. One of those people works in art full time and is without question an artist and she creates her own art, the other seven though talented were hobbyists or crafters at best, and a big part of that is that the artist watched what I did and how Ii did it as I explained the tools and supplies and then she created pieces of jewelry of her own design that were very distinctive and different.

The other seven crafters watched the demo and then carefully and with different skill levels they all copied what I did exactly and tried to make their pieces just as closely as they could. to what I had made in the demonstration. To me they are crafters or hobbyist and though it's not a negative necessarily but copying my work even if done very well will never make them artists.

It's the same in music taking a class and learning a few covers makes you a guitar player or a hobbyist and after a few years you might even be a very talented hobbyist, but if your not creating something new and different you might be a good player or even a great technician but I have trouble calling that person a artist. Same thing in regards to selling art and/or performing music live even if you write songs and create your own music but don't ever perform for anyone but your self then how are you a artist what have you given back to the world.

Well said. Closer to defining that line (for a few of us).

This is really more of a philosophical argument.

If all A's are B's

and all B's are C's

then, all A's must also be C's

Can our collective forum brain power arrive at a simple, but full proof answer like this? Just kidding. But really, unless one could construct an objective argument like this, it will always be a subjective question with no definable measures.

I'm tired...

I dunno. I don't think audience has anything to do with it, whether it's static art or whether it's temporal art.

Charlie Russell, Van Gogh... good examples of little or no audience. Okay, Charlie did okay after he got married and Vincent... well, he was much more valued after he died.

Yeah, a lot of people are not terribly creative at one thing or another, but its kinda like the "entertainer" vs. "guitar player" who makes a living performing.

Is a violinist in a symphony orchestra a "musician" by definition of an additional creativity? I dunno. I frankly don't think so by taking that argument to a degree of polarity.

I guess my bottom line is whether making music is part of one's own self-identity. Music can't be taken away from inside me even were I to be imprisoned in solitary confinement of some sort the rest of my life - hence no audience. Ditto the crafting of words for the sheer doing of it, if only in my own head and no mechanism to place those words for others to perceive. Etc.

Conde Rice noted how she wanted to be a concert pianist until she realized hers was a medium talent, not the highest end. She changed life goals, but ... and this is why I consider her a musician ... she still plays piano as part of what makes her who and what she is.

m

Archived