Gibson Brands Forums

Good pork back rib recipes

davidl

I just dry rub them. Mixture of kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dry thyme, black pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper. Add a bit of olive oil before the rub mixture. Grill them or bake them in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. No sugar for us.

Yummo.

I just dry rub them. Mixture of kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dry thyme, black pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper. Add a bit of olive oil before the rub mixture. Grill them or bake them in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. No sugar for us.

Yummo.

Mmmmmm...sounds good. ratio of spices?

I usually use equal parts salt/pepper & half that of garlic powder. Drench in lime juice, sprinkle with rub, then grill at lowest temp for 45 min +/- bone side down

I get my hands on powdered crab/crawfish boil seasoning ("Zatarain's" or "Louisiana" brand), dump about a cup + several bay leaves into a pot of boiling water -- hold your breath while you do it or else it's just like getting pepper sprayed by the cops -- boil the ribs. The water has to be retarded spicy in order to impart any flavor to the ribs.

When they're done, I slather em with a brown sugar-based BBQ sauce and throw em on the grill just until the sauce caramelizes & starts to scorch a little bit.

Then they're ready to eat. A little spicy, a little sweet, and all good!

Dry Rub:

8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed

3 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning

1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:

1 cup white wine

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon honey

2 cloves garlic, chopped

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

I'm a fan of Food Network chef - Alton Brown. This is his recipe

David we have something other than the love of a R0 in common!

I love smoking baby back ribs and pork butts among many other things.

1MESSmoke004small-2.jpg

1MESSmoke003.jpg

1MESSmoke001-2.jpg

1MESSmoke003-1.jpg

Smoked Baby Back Ribs

I call this the 3-2-1 method and I must warn you that this smoked rib recipe bends the rules of

most purist smokers.. it uses aluminum foil [scared] during a portion of the process.

For those of you who are after really smoky and tender ribs and do not have a problem with

using foil then please read on..

The 3-2-1 smoked rib recipe is a good way to smoke ribs and tends to turn out perfect ribs every

time whether you are using the meatier spares or the baby backs.

Here is the how to..

The 3 stands for the 3 hours that you initially smoke the ribs with nothing but your favorite rub

on them and your favorite hardwood such as hickory, mesquite, apple, pecan, etc.

After the 3 hours you remove the ribs and quickly double wrap them in heavy duty foil.. just

before you seal them off splash on some apple juice for good measure, I like to add a splash of

Dark Rum to the apple juice, and close the foil leaving some room around the ribs for the steam to

be able to flow around the meat and do it's magic.

The ribs cook in the smoker wrapped for 2 hours undisturbed.

After 2 hours remove the ribs from the smoker, unwrap and place back into the smoker for the final 1 hour.

You can add a glaze or sauce at this point if you wish. I add another light coat of rub at this point.

This recipe will have the meat literally falling off the bone and be extremely juicy, tender and flavorful.

I am assuming you know how to remove the membrane from the ribs and know to smoke the ribs at around 220 degrees.

If not then please shot me a PM with your email address and I'll shoot you over the recipe for how to prepare and

smoke ribs.

Happy smoking!

1MESSmoke004small-2.jpg

1MESSmoke003.jpg

1MESSmoke001-2.jpg

1MESSmoke003-1.jpg

Smoked Baby Back Ribs

I call this the 3-2-1 method and I must warn you that this smoked rib recipe bends the rules of

most purist smokers.. it uses aluminum foil [scared] during a portion of the process.

For those of you who are after really smoky and tender ribs and do not have a problem with

The 3-2-1 smoked rib recipe is a good way to smoke ribs and tends to turn out perfect ribs every

Here is the how to..

The 3 stands for the 3 hours that you initially smoke the ribs with nothing but your favorite rub

on them and your favorite hardwood such as hickory, mesquite, apple, pecan, etc.

After the 3 hours you remove the ribs and quickly double wrap them in heavy duty foil.. just

before you seal them off splash on some apple juice for good measure, I like to add a splash of

Dark Rum to the apple juice, and close the foil leaving some room around the ribs for the steam to

After 2 hours remove the ribs from the smoker, unwrap and place back into the smoker for the final 1 hour.

You can add a glaze or sauce at this point if you wish. I add another light coat of rub at this point.

This recipe will have the meat literally falling off the bone and be extremely juicy, tender and flavorful.

I am assuming you know how to remove the membrane from the ribs and know to smoke the ribs at around 220 degrees.

If not then please shot me a PM with your email address and I'll shoot you over the recipe for how to prepare and

smoke ribs.

Happy smoking!

This sounds like a great one too. I just don't have a smoker :(

But low and slow is the way to go for ribs in order to break down that connective tissue.

1MESSmoke004small-2.jpg

1MESSmoke003.jpg

1MESSmoke001-2.jpg

1MESSmoke003-1.jpg

Smoked Baby Back Ribs

Here is the how to..

smoke ribs.

Happy smoking!

But low and slow is the way to go for ribs in order to break down that connective tissue.

Make sure you remove the membrane from the backside of the ribs.

Then smoke 'em and use any old sauce. [thumbup]

This is the most important tip. If you don't remove the membrane you're only seasoning one side of the meat as nothing goes through it. It also makes the meat fall off the bone. If I'm in a hurry I use my Weber Kettle, if I want the real thing I use my smoker with Almond wood, never my gas grill.

This is a great start for a dry rub. I add garlic powder and take out a little of the black pepper. This is a sweet sticky finger licking rub.

1/2 cup freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup ground cayenne pepper

1 cup dark brown sugar

3 tablespoons salt

You're a DIY kind of guy, check this out. I built one of these several years ago similar to this and it is still in use by my dad.

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/archery-4/stickies-29/smoker-plans-41686/

Nothing taste like meat right off the smoker! [thumbup]

Your boy Alton showed how to make a smoker for less than 75 bucks using Terra Cotta pots from a garden center, a hot plate, aluminum bowl, and a rack from a charcoal grill.

Let me see if they put the directions for constructing it on the FC site.

You're a DIY kind of guy, check this out. I built one of these several years ago similar to this and it is still in use by my dad.

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/archery-4/stickies-29/smoker-plans-41686/

Nothing taste like meat right off the smoker! [thumbup]

That's a pretty big undertaking. I don't work with wood which is why I build the electronic portion of the amp and buy the cabinets.

Actually, Alton Brown showed how to make one out of large clay pots and a heater element. The clay actually is better at retaining heat and is more consistent when maintaining a specific temp.

Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8

Victorian epicure do a great recipe for molokai ribs, an absolute winner and easy to make

5-6 lbs pork spare ribs, cut into pieces

3 medium onions

6 tbsp soy sauce

1/4 tsp ground pepper

2 whole star anise

4 cups water

1 tbsp veg oil

1 tsp ginger

1 tsp nonya spice

1/2 cup honey

2 tbsp brown sugar

1 tbsp worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp lemon juice

1. Place ribs in large dutch oven. peel and slice 2 onions, add to ribs.

2. Add 4 tbsp soy sauce, pepper, star anise and water. bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until ribs are tender..1- 1.5 hours

3. Meanwhile, make sauce. finely chop remaining onion. Cook onion in veg oil in large frying pan until golden. add ginger, nonya spice, honey, brown sugar, worcestershire, lemon juice and remaining soy sauce. bring to boil then set aside.

4. when ribs are tender, remove from pot and arrange as a single layer in baking tray or casserole dish. pour sauce over ribs, bake uncovered in oven (400'F) for 1/2 hour basting regularly.

That's a pretty big undertaking. I don't work with wood which is why I build the electronic portion of the amp and buy the cabinets.

Actually, Alton Brown showed how to make one out of large clay pots and a heater element. The clay actually is better at retaining heat and is more consistent when maintaining a specific temp.

Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8

Thats right I forgot about you buying the cabs! I saw that one on Good Eats. Everyone should have a smoker of some sort. [smile]

I guess I'm not as fancy as others. I just remove the membrane from the back, rinse thoroughly, sprinkle Lawry's seasoning heavily on both sides, let them sit in the fridge while I make the charcoal (not gas) fire, grill them to perfection, smother with Maull's Bar-B-Q sauce (either sweet & mild or Kansas City) and enjoy. Sometimes I add a little beer into the sauce for added kick.

I guess I'm not as fancy as others. I just remove the membrane from the back, rinse thoroughly, sprinkle Lawry's seasoning heavily on both sides, let them sit in the fridge while I make the charcoal (not gas) fire, grill them to perfection, smother with Maull's Bar-B-Q sauce (either sweet & mild or Kansas City) and enjoy. Sometimes I add a little beer into the sauce for added kick.

A friend of mine brought me back some Maull's when he was visiting family, it was a staple in their house. When he gave it to me he told me I had to add beer, man was that some tasty sauce! If you have Maull's all you need is some salt and smoke.

David

Yummo.

Yipper. Nothing like good Santa Maria Style pork ribs.

Just finished up the last of a couple of racks I Q'd up last weekend.

If it stays this nice through the weekend, I'll be barbecuing again.

Yipper. Nothing like good Santa Maria Style pork ribs.

Just finished up the last of a couple of racks I Q'd up last weekend.

If it stays this nice through the weekend, I'll be barbecuing again.

Man, that reminded me of some of the best food I have ever eaten, Santa Maria Barbecue. I used to do the sound at the County Fair every year and remember on the weekend all the groups selling barbecue on the street corners. Also there was a place called Jocko's where everything was cooked on oak and they had these little beans they called Jocko Beans yummmm! There was also a guy down there that mixed up a rub called Rib Roundup, I used to stock up on it every year. Santa Maria is also where I learned about the Tri Tip. It's been twenty years since I've been there but my Barbecue roots definitely go back to Santa Maria.

Face it ribs are good no matter how you cook them.

Thanks for the memories,

David

Frankly? there are so many good barbeque places here in the south I just go and eat their ribs, I can't compete with them.

I prefer dry rub (Memphis style)

For inatnce Martin's (as featutred in DDD with Guy Fieri)smokes their stuff slowly for 24 hours...

Archived