Gibson Brands Forums

I DO NOT like breaking strings

Shnate McDuanus

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunlop! :D

Anytime i break a string means its time to change them all, for me. So i kinda like it, i guess.

Yeah, I pretty much change a whole set every time I break one--unless I've only had them on for a short time.

O change em every 3 months, break or no break. stick with balls

after all...Balls are Best! [flapper]

Yeah, I usually change them once every two months or so, but this one was at home in New York while I was in Maryland, and even then I had gone a few months without changing them, so I didn't exactly have a chance to change them for a long while.

I bent my high E a little too far...

Also, the strings have been on there for over a year.

Looks like tomorrow I'll have to trudge out to town in the snow to get a pack of strings.

...I use Ernie Ball strings. I like 'em, but perhaps I could try another brand. Any suggestions?

No! Stay with EB. Also, that is too long for not changing strings. Fresh set feels so gewd!

Nobody really likes changing strings but its part of playing 'although if you got a year out of them you can't really complain'. The only time I really HATE breaking strings is on stage then you just have to kinda stand there faking partial chords till the song ends.

I love changing strings, I find it therapeutic, then again I am a bit of an oddball.

I say stick with the EB's, they're good strings, just cycle 'em through when their time is due. I tend to replace the whole set too, even if its just one.

Buy two sets. Next January you won't have to trudge out into the snow.

I never come away from a store with only one set of strings. I just didn't have the opportunity to bring the sets of strings that I have AT HOME. I won't go into the practical realities of living four-and-a-half hours away from the college that I attend.

And I don't usually go this long without changing strings. This just happened to turn out this way under unusual circumstances. Thank you for insulting my intelligence, though. I really need that.

I love changing strings, I find it therapeutic, then again I am a bit of an oddball.

Ok I was wrong I prefer drinking to relax but to each there own I pretty much hate it, especially on 12 strings and anything with a trem or Bigsby but I do like new strings so it's a evil that I have to live with.

This reminds me of a post years ago on changing strings, don't recall who is was ( I'm thinking it might have been Gilliangirl) but they were using balls of yarn pr something like that to hold the strings in place when they changed them. Can't remember for sure who is was that did it but it was a great picture I used it as my desktop for a while.

I never come away from a store with only one set of strings. I just didn't have the opportunity to bring the sets of strings that I have AT HOME. I won't go into the practical realities of living four-and-a-half hours away from the college that I attend.

And I don't usually go this long without changing strings. This just happened to turn out this way under unusual circumstances. Thank you for insulting my intelligence, though. I really need that.

Wow man you're really sensitive.

I haven't broken a string in years and I use 9s on my Gibson. DR TiteFits are my favorite. They don't break.

Real men use doubt digits...

I use either Ernie Ball, but I like Dunlops those are pretty sweet. Both are good brands

I have only broken one string, and I have no idea how people go longer than a month without changing them. They just feel all grubby to me

I went through a spell of breaking strings but now it's rare it happens. I think a lot is about how hard you fret the strings. I used to take strings off and they'd be badly kinked where I played the most. I still play the same stuff with up to 1 1/2 stop bends on the same guitars but no problems now. I do find that Rotosound break less than others and in some packs you get an extra top E string. http://www.rotosound.com/

I went through a spell of breaking strings but now it's rare it happens.

Just a hint: this is pretty much only the third string break of my entire life.

I think a lot is about how hard you fret the strings.

Or, maybe (JUST MAYBE) it's because the string was old and worn out? I wasn't asking for advice on technique.

I used to take strings off and they'd be badly kinked where I played the most. I still play the same stuff with up to 1 1/2 stop bends on the same guitars but no problems now. I do find that Rotosound break less than others and in some packs you get an extra top E string. http://www.rotosound.com/

Thanks for the recommendation. I might look into the Rotosounds...

Oh, and interesting point from me: I went from .09s to .11s because I thought my tone was too thin. Later, I decided, with the .11s, that my tone is too thick. I think I'm going back to .09s, or maybe .10s.

I haven't broken a string since before quite a few members of the forum were born. On the other hand, I also quit using a flatpick and went back to bare fingers entirely.

I use 9-42 Elixirs on all my electrics except for the early 70s Guild SG type that wears 8-38. I don't think I have tone problems. I have no questions for my masculinity although I freely admit that I couldn't play Mother Maybelle's old Gibson archtop with her Mapes extra heavy strings back in the mid '60s. Sheesh, they were like piano wire.

On two AE guitars I have Zebra 9-42; on the third steel string AE there are Elixir 10s because I was planning to do some "old time" stuff with a flatpick bit I plan to replace 'em soon with the 9-42 Zebras - although I wish Elixir had a 9-42 acoustic set.

I used to break a lotta strings when I was flatpicking. That's even when I was using relatively heavy flatwounds. Too much leftover Bluegrass without any PA, I guess.

In the old days I wore silk 'n' steels on some 12 strings I had. Occasionally I'd break a string - and fairly frequently it was the 8 high string on the G.

m

Just a hint: this is pretty much only the third string break of my entire life.

Or, maybe (JUST MAYBE) it's because the string was old and worn out? I wasn't asking for advice on technique.

Thanks for the recommendation. I might look into the Rotosounds...

Oh, and interesting point from me: I went from .09s to .11s because I thought my tone was too thin. Later, I decided, with the .11s, that my tone is too thick. I think I'm going back to .09s, or maybe .10s.

I wasn't giving advice on technique, I was sharing personal experience with the forum, it's usually good to stimulate discussion. Maybe you should switch to decafe.

I use 10s on my Tele.

I haven't changed the strings on either of my guitars in about 6 months. Maybe more. They're toasty.

[confused]

[lol]

10s on your tele and 9s on your SG? :blink:

That's weird man, and even weirder, when I wrote that, I had the voice from the Pink Floyd song that says "You can't eat your pudding if you don't eat your meat!" Seriously, read my post with that same voice in your head, its a blast.

I need some sleep...

And on topic, XDemon, just buy some more strings and make some sweet, sweet music for the ladies [wub]

Fred out :huh:

Archived