Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page, Self-tuning guitar, NOT ROBOT GUITAR

sparky scott 29

The real deal. Pisses me off that Gibson can claim they the first Robot guitar, duh, so I started really looking deeper,

I knew Jimmy Page had one at a Black Crowes concert I saw. I ended up discovering Jimmy had his in the early 1990's from Transperformance.

NICE TRY GIBSON! This is a rare vid of Page / Plant tour with Jimmy using his GoldTop Les Paul with a TransPerformance tuning system. Check it out!

HuH?? News to me?? smiley-music010.gif

Interesting, That's a Coverdale/Page tune they're doing. I wouldn't have thought Plant would go ahead and cover a Coverdale tune.

Here's another of him using that same Les Paul from the Unledded DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0jiiURy_So

In all fairness to Gibson, The Transperformance systems were retrofit to existing models, the Robot was designed to be that way. So Gibson didn't Lie to us, they took the Liberty of Bull Sh!tting us.

I think Gibson's claim was the first production guitar with self tuning: wasn't the tronical system also available aftermarket first too?

this system is not available in any factory built (i.e. warranted) guitar, is it? I believe it is still aftermarket only.

I could be wrong.

Don

I remember when those came out. Somewhere around 1990. They used servos mounted in the body. The Gibson robot is a lot cleaner design.

I remember Gibson offering the system installed in LPs.......special order........didn't catch on........

We'll see how the technology progresses; STAY TUNED.........:unsure: [crying][flapper] :blink: [flapper][rolleyes] .............

Sorry to sidetrack -

Hey Duane -

That interesting white guitar on the left side of your sig-pic - what is that?

A modded MM ? . . . Or modded LP of some kind ?

Details ?

It's a Joan Jet MM with a 1972 Gibson PAF in the bridge, and a rewound 1976 Gibby MM neck pup by Curtis Novak.

P3010134b.jpg

P3010131b.jpg

Sorry Sparky - I gotta sidetrack one more time. [blush]

Duane -

That's a killer mod job! Some great ideas there. I dig modded Melody Makers and I really like yours.

Did you do the mod work yourself?

Is that a string lock above the nut?

What's the details on the bridge/whammy ?

Sorry Sparky - I gotta sidetrack one more time. [blush]

Duane -

That's a killer mod job! Some great ideas there. I dig modded Melody Makers and I really like yours.

Did you do the mod work yourself?

Is that a string lock above the nut?

What's the details on the bridge/whammy ?

I installed the Gibson tuners myself and drew the dimensions on the guitar where I wanted the Gibson Kahler trem, and neck pup routed

Archived