Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby on an Explorer?

NeoConMan

As to the assertion that an Explorer needs a Maestro:

Just out of curiosity...why would anyone ever elect to put a Maestro tailpiece on a guitar?

I understand the Bigsby--subtle bends, shimmering vibrato on every note of a chord, good tuning stability if it's set up right, and it looks cool.

But a Maestro? Clunky, practically non-functional, and a little on the fragile side.

No thanks. The "cool" looks aren't enough to get me to ever consider putting a Maestro on a guitar.

That's an awfully broad brush you're painting with....

I thought the same thing until I actually played a few - and bought one.

There are a few trems from Gibson that TRULY sucked - the sidewinder with mechanical joints and such.

Maestro works just as well, and is just as stable, as a Bigsby.

I dunno man. The few guitars with maestros that I've played were pretty awesome. I like the maestro.

That picture of the Lonnie Mack style V looks like one of GuitarJunky's pictures. Remember that guy?

I'd take one over a Floyd any day... By the way I dig a bigsby on just about anything.

That's an awfully broad brush you're painting with....

I thought the same thing until I actually played a few - and bought one.

There are a few trems from Gibson that TRULY sucked - the sidewinder with mechanical joints and such.

Maestro works just as well, and is just as stable, as a Bigsby.

Well, you sure showed me.

Don't you think Neo, who owns guitars with Bigsbys and Maestros, is capable of making a fair comparison?

I agree with him. The Maestro is fine. Obviously you're not gonna be doing insane shredtastic divebombs with it. It holds up fine for subtle vibrato.

Have you actually used a Maestro before or are you just inclined to believe that it sucks?

Defend Neo because he's infallible. I didn't see that coming.

Yeah I've used a Maestro. It felt stiff and it didn't keep its tune. It may have been something else on the guitar that did that, though--poor setup, poorly-cut nut, new strings. Or maybe I was just using it wrong :rolleyes: . I don't know. But I was turned off from it enough to not want to try one again.

Yes, I do think that Neo's capable of making a fair comparison. Notice how Neo said he thought the same thing until he actually tried several and bought one--don't you think, then, that it's perfectly fair for me to seek information? No, I guess not.

Here's something you'll like better: I was just inclined to think Maestros suck because I'm an irrational, uninformed idiot, and I just came here to pick a fight with the resident expert/authority on everything.

Yeah I've used a Maestro. It felt stiff and it didn't keep its tune. It may have been something else on the guitar that did that, though--poor setup, poorly-cut nut, new strings. Or maybe I was just using it wrong :rolleyes: . I don't know. But I was turned off from it enough to not want to try one again.

Yes, I do think that Neo's capable of making a fair comparison. Notice how Neo said he thought the same thing until he actually tried several and bought one--don't you think, then, that it's perfectly fair for me to seek information? No, I guess not.

Here's something you'll like better: I was just inclined to think Maestros suck because I'm an irrational, uninformed idiot, and I just came here to pick a fight with the resident expert/authority on everything.

I'm not defending neo because he's infallable. I'm capable of forming my own opinion. I've been a fan of the maestro for a while..

Seeking information? It didn't seem like you were seeking information to me. It seemed like you threw your opinion out there (which is all fine and dandy) and then got all butthurt when someone disagreed.

You seriously need to lighten up a little bit man.

My immediate thought was "How on Earth do you reach the tone-knobs?"...

:-k

P.

Hello Pippy. My subsequent thought is why on earth would you reach for the tone-knobs on an Explorer?! Everything up to 12 and rawk. Be excellent dudes! [biggrin]

Hello Pippy. My subsequent thought is why on earth would you reach for the tone-knobs on an Explorer?! Everything up to 12 and rawk. Be excellent dudes! [biggrin]

LOL!

But Of Course! How silly of me!...

HaHa!

Party On!

P.

Um, no that looks totally retarded. If I ever put a Bigsby on my V it would be a b5.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. A coworker had a Flying V with a B7 and adapter like Lonnie Mac. Very cool feel. It's the un-metal V.

Well, you sure showed me

Isn't that the way it ALWAYS goes? [rolleyes][woot]

I'm not infallible.

If I'm wrong, I'll own up to it - instead of launching into a pissy childish rant.

You - and some others here too young to shave yet should look in the mirror... [-(

I played a few Maestros over the years - the very basis of its construction seemed flawed to me.

On the other hand, I've used every trem on the market and found few to my liking.

The Bigsby became my preference.

When I found my SG 61 with a Maestro, it was one of 48 built.

VERY limited production.

I always kinda wanted an SG 61....

The more I studied them, and played the four that I could - the more I accepted them.

I bought mine for the "cool" factor more than anything else - and fell in love.

For some reason, you decide to come across an irrational, uninformed idiot.

I don't know why.

If I don't know what I'm talking about - I will put THESE WORDS in my post;

I dunno.

And I do NOT get MAD because I don't know something - I use it as a chance to LEARN.

(And the smarter I get, the more it pisses some people off - WIN/WIN!)

In this case I DO know, and it looks like you just came here to pick a fight.

If you want me to be the resident expert/authority on everything you're outta luck.

If you want everybody to share your pissy mood and believe I know NOTHING, you're outta luck.

It's a PUBLIC FORUM.

Until you and your fellow kiddies get past college, raise some kids of your own, and MAKE SOME MONEY....

... you'll have to learn to get along.

Or start your OWN fxcking forum.

Try some Midol to help these monthly moods you so often display, eh?

[flapper][thumbup]

Archived