Gibson Brands Forums

The Official What Are You Listening To Right Now Thread...

ShredAstaire

It's the best Savoy Brown record IMO.....Youlden is forgotten now but he's a great singer.   His 1st solo LP "Nowhere Road" is worth hearing.

Today so far, LPs  -

Bill Evans - Interplay Sessions (Jim Hall, Ron Carter, Zoot Sims, Philly Joe)

Charlie Byrd live at the Village Gate

Sleepy John Estes 1929-1940

Don Thompson "A Beautiful Friendship" (Canadian pianist/bass supremo meets John Abercrombie and Dave Holland)

Frank Foster "A Blues Ain't Nothin' But A Trip"

Jimi Hendrix  "Nine To The Universe"

12" 45s - Ryuchi Sakamoto "Warhead"

Stones "Undercover Of The Night"

Ice-T  "New Jack Hustler".  1991 coke-dealer gangsta rap at its nastiest, sneering and nihilistic.  It does not get nastier, sneerier or nihilistic-er than this.  Great funk.  He played the cop in the movie.

Edited by jdgm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 7/20/2023 at 4:46 PM, surfpup said:

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots album

Those guys are strange dudes. I have a live concert video of them at The Zoo. Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin, and At War are killer albums. I read or heard they did a lot of LSD.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How do you guys listen to music. I listen to an album from start to finish. and not just one song.

in the car I listen to a cd from start to finish. at home sometimes I load the cd player with multiple cds & hit randon. or I will play specific tunes from Youtube

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How do you guys listen to music. I listen to an album from start to finish. and not just one song.

Both.  It depends - sometimes I think "I have got to hear that track".

I was so used to LPs which lasted 40 mins or so;  CDs, even very good ones, sometimes go on a bit long. I like the enormous choice I have now as back in the 70s obscure meant unavailable. 

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

On the go, I use Spotify, with various stylistic playlists I made, as well as full albums, and I also occasionally use their AI DJ or play single songs I specifically want to hear. I only occasionally use it in random mode. 

At home, I either use the stereo system in the living room, or on my control room monitors in the studio, with either 24 bit digital files or CDs. I have a bunch of vinyl too (as well as a ton of ADAT and analog tapes in various formats), but I need to get a new turntable. 

1 minute ago, Phil OKeefe said:

On the go, I use Spotify, with various stylistic playlists I made, as well as full albums, and I also occasionally use their AI DJ or play single songs I specifically want to hear. I only occasionally use it in random mode. 

At home, I either use the stereo system in the living room, or on my control room monitors in the studio, with either 24 bit digital files or CDs. I have a bunch of vinyl too (as well as a ton of ADAT and analog tapes in various formats), but I need to get a new turntable. 

Can't stand streaming services, or the radio. I want to hear, what I want to hear, and not what song a format wants me to hear. I always have CD's in the car in rotation. 

On 7/19/2023 at 1:49 PM, RBSinTo said:

"Out of ther Blue" by The Band, from "The Last Waltz" concert.

Stunningly haunting and beautiful song.

RBSinTo

When them Band guys were on they were so damn good. Not much after Stage Fright except for The Last Waltz, I can take from them.  They even did a whole album of covers tunes. Why, your The Band, write your own damn music.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 7/12/2023 at 3:53 PM, jdgm said:

BLT - Jack Bruce, Bill Lordan, Robin Trower - excellent  1981 album, still sounds good.

Trower is insane on a Strat. Saw him once. Got what are considered his classics on vinyl, the first 6 or 7.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Trower is insane on a Strat. Saw him once. Got what are considered his classics on vinyl, the first 6 or 7.

I used to have the first 3 and 'In City Dreams'.

Now I have this -

https://www.discogs.com/release/13231983-Robin-Trower-The-Studio-Albums-1973-1983

All good or great except 'Victims Of The Fury' which isn't.  Dewar was a great singer.

Edited by jdgm

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Can't stand streaming services, or the radio. I want to hear, what I want to hear, and not what song a format wants me to hear. I always have CD's in the car in rotation. 

I have a Spotify premium account. It plays whatever I want it to play, and it's commercial free. 

• 2 weeks later...

So far today -

Hendrix "Band Of Gypsies" double CD issue, all of it 

Ralph Towner / Paolo Fresu  "Chiaroscuro" (ECM)

Wes Montgomery "Full House"

• 1 month later...