Gibson Brands Forums

Craigslist...

Silenced Fred

So I put my Fender Strat up on Craigslist because I don't play it much. I sanded the finish down to get rid of the nasty dings in the finish. Again, I got this from my friend for 47 dollars with a hardshell case.

I brought it to Guitar Center a while ago and they said they would take it for about 230 dollars, more if I took in store credit. At the time, I had more plans of modding it and I turned that down.

I put it up on Craigslist and I get a response. First off, I said I didn't really know what I wanted, but I have seen most of them go for about 300 all the way up to 700. I get an email from a guy saying that he is really interested and wants larger pictures. So I send him more pictures then he says how much I want for it. I told him I have seen the low end being 300, so I said about 300-350. He says the price is a little high and I tell him to then make an offer. He sends back in an email (this is all it said) 50.

I told him that I would not sell it for 50 dollars, then he replied back again (this time with more words) 25, no case.

[cursing]

Now I'm getting pissed. He thought that the 50 dollars would include a case in the first part. Then he says 25 dollars. Squiers covered in stickers with pickups sticking out of the headstock go for at least 50

Why are people idiots?

Just a guy trying to squeak out a steal of a deal. Ignore him and wait for the next potential buyer. He's probably hoping you're an idiot kid or something.

I never responded to his last email for 25 dollars and now he just sent me one saying that "he will pass, he can find one in mint condition for 100 dollars..."

Does he really think I'm going to beg him to buy it off of me?

A few years back I was preparing to sell a 1978 ES-175 on ebay. Before I listed it, I decided to put it on craigslist just to see what kind of inquiries I would get. The guitar (at that time) was going for around $1500 on ebay. I put it on craigslist as a "Used Gibson Guitar" with photos, no 'Grandfather/death bed/found in the attic' BS, just an ad with a best offer.

I got at least 10 replies, all offered me $200-$250 and made it sound like they were saving my life by doing so. ONE person said he liked the guitar and it wasn't in his budget but I should be looking for at least $1000.

Interesting.

Did you sand the neck or the body?

Both. The neck has quite a bit of paint removed as it was dinged up and had a lot of wear. It plays like butter now. The body has a lot of dings and I sanded it. I think I'm going to end up keeping the neck and make something with that, find a body for cheap or something like that

Steve- don't wanna mess around on eBay, too much weird goings on from my experiences. I didn't think I would get a whole lot for this guitar, but 25 dollars makes me feel insulted

Steve- don't wanna mess around on eBay, too much weird goings on from my experiences. I didn't think I would get a whole lot for this guitar, but 25 dollars makes me feel insulted

sorry you had bad experiences on the bay, and 25 dollars is a total joke and i'd feel insulted too...put it up at a set price (no offers) and just wait till a decent person like you or me come along [thumbup]

Both. The neck has quite a bit of paint removed as it was dinged up and had a lot of wear. It plays like butter now. The body has a lot of dings and I sanded it. I think I'm going to end up keeping the neck and make something with that, find a body for cheap or something like that

So is this a USA Strat? Sanded down to wood on the neck and the body? I guess i would have to see it but if it is like what I just said I wouldn't be offering much over $150.00 (No offense I haven't seen it). It must not be too bad or GC wouldn't have offered you that much as they usually don't offer squat.

My craigslist gripes....

- People who post things for sale and then don't respond either for days or ever and then it is usually sold

- when people won't meet in a neutral public place to make the exchange. Sorry I don't get a warm and fuzzy taking a bunch of cash to someones hood that I'm not familiar with.

- When people tell you Cool you have a deal and then you call them back a couple hours later to let them know you are on the way and they say they have sold it to someone else

- After you get bummed and pissed and they call you back a couple days later and say the guy never showed up. ( I usually tell them to get bent at that point unless I just gotta have it)

When I bought my walnut Explorer E2 the guy had it listed in the Dayton, Ohio area which is about 2.5 hrs away from me. We did the done deal thing so I went to the bank and made some arrangements called the guy and got the "Sorry man I just sold it " line. [cursing][crying] I told him he should have at least let me know and I might have offered him more for it....

Then a few days later he called back and said the guy never showed. I had extreme GAS for this guitar so I said cool and said I would take off work in about an hour and told him it would take me about 2.5 hrs max to get there and I would get exact directions when I was sure I could get off work early. So I get off work and call him for directions and find out he lives in Freakin' Cleavland, Ohio which is about 6 hrs one way![cursing][cursing][cursing] ( he posted in the Dayton area! ) Regardless about 13 hrs later I was back at home with my beautiful E2!

I prefer e-bay !!!

Fred I will give you 75.00 for it if you throw in a hardshell case and a marshall amp![tongue]

Craigslist is way better if you ask me. The person comes and picks up the item and gives you cash.. What's wrong with that? EBay sucks. You have to deal with shipping and pay a bunch of fees and stuff and pretty much all of the gear is way overpriced.

People can be stupid on craigslist. I avoid those people anyways so I've never had a problem.

Bottom line, a sanded down USA/Mexican Stratocaster isnt worth much. I see "upgraded" MIM strats on craigslist all the time listed for $50-$100 less than you can buy one new. They lower the price a week later, and no one buys. Another week later, they lower it again. Eventually they sell it for $150-$225 if its in really good shape, less if its not.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a strat with the neck/body sanded down. If you live near a big city, there are 20 MIM Fenders on your local craigslist at any given time. One or two of those sellers need cash and will take a small wad of $20s. If your a buyer, your an idiot if you dont send out a couple of emails to find the guy that needs the money bad enough to let it go cheap.

If your honest about the condition, I would be very surprised if you get more than $150 for it.

Craigslist is way better if you ask me. The person comes and picks up the item and gives you cash.. What's wrong with that? EBay sucks. You have to deal with shipping and pay a bunch of fees and stuff and pretty much all of the gear is way overpriced.

People can be stupid on craigslist. I avoid those people anyways so I've never had a problem.

Not bad for the seller but is a scary proposition for the buyer.... Plus I don't like people I don't know coming to my house.... Ya never know when they might decide to come back and steal yer stuff.... [crying][scared]

Not bad for the seller but is a scary proposition for the buyer.... Plus I don't like people I don't know coming to my house.... Ya never know when they might decide to come back and steal yer stuff.... [crying][scared]

The couple of deals I have done on Craigslist, I always met them at a guitar center. Allows them or myself to try out the stuff in a neutral, public environment

The couple of deals I have done on Craigslist, I always met them at a guitar center. Allows them or myself to try out the stuff in a neutral, public environment

As noted in my first reply about when people won't meet you in a neutral public place...

As noted in my first reply about when people won't meet you in a neutral public place...

Well, maybe I would have read it if you didn't write so much [flapper]

Seriously though, I would never have a stranger meet me at my house though. I just wouldn't want someone knowing where I live if I don't know them you know what I mean?

Mr. Fuzz, i also hate to tell you but a sanded down fender is not worth anything close to what the book says. If it had been an actual vintage fender, you would have reduced the value by about 50% to 80%. While you might not consider a Japanese strat as collectable, they are, just not as much as an old Fullerton one.

That said, you could still calculate a fair value by considering the cost of having it refined (profesonally) and subtract that from the price of a perfect example, then half that price. you end up with about a hundred bucks, give or take. The other thing you have to consider is that the quality of the strip job is an unknown as far as the market is concerned, and there is no way of knowing how much wood was removed or what it would take to prep it for a proper finish.

But, what is really kinda cool is that the only real drawback of Japanese strats is the fact that the finish is poly instead of the traditional nitro or enamel. The Japan strats have scary authentic neck and body contours. It could be the basis for a really cool genuine strat.

I've sold 7 guitars on CL and one on ebay and craigslist sales were a lot less headaches for me anyways.

I know what the guitar I'm selling is worth and I wait out any stupid or low ball offers.

I always make it clear to anyone interested that the price is the price and no negotiations are involved. Never fails though when we meet and they play it they make me a lesser offer.

I just smile and start packing the guitar back up. Doesn't take them but a second or two to reach for their wallets.

So far, I've been lucky with all my CL deals. Sure, I've gotten plenty of scam attempts and low-ball offers, but I've managed to weed them out. When it has come to a real transaction, they've all gone smooth so far. Matter of fact, I actually made a pretty good friend of one of my CL customers.

Well, maybe I would have read it if you didn't write so much [flapper]

Seriously though, I would never have a stranger meet me at my house though. I just wouldn't want someone knowing where I live if I don't know them you know what I mean?

[biggrin] I tried to keep it down to short story size! [tongue]

Archived