Gibson Brands Forums

Check THIS Out

Elias Graves

I noticed these when Epi introduced them about a year ago. Always thought the $379 price was fair. I was very surprised to see my local GC keeping these in stock and I checked out every one of them that came in. The first three were good, but uninspiring and they had the heavy yellow banana finish that showed no grain.

This one showed up a couple of weeks ago and the translucent finish caught my eye. After playing it a bit, I realized that this example was clearly nicer than the first three I saw.

This had the "something" that the others lacked.

When I also noticed the price had been cut to $300, I knew it was time to grab this one.

I think it's my new favorite guitar and is honestly the first guitar I ever bought that I have no real inclination to modify. Everything seems good.

The tuners are Grovers, the tailpiece appears to be nickel plated, the finish is stunning and the pickups are as good as any P90 I've ever played.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with it.

1298849723.jpg

1298849652.jpg

1298849576.jpg

1298849684.jpg

Nicely done, Epi!

EG

These sukahs are pretty bloody SHWEEEEEEET! Believe I read somewhere that they were an exclusive for GC--true? Hope they keep putting them out as my local GC is now out of 'em. I've been looking for a hollow-body ala a Joe Pass, but these and the faded Wilshires (miniHBs) are making me wonder...

Not sure how exclusive they are. Epi doesn't show it on their site, but MF has them listed at $379.

Given that it's called limited, I'd guess a year or two is all they will be around.

I assumed that since the price got knocked down $80, that they are starting to close them out.

Better hurry! :)

EG

Great buy. They are little jems.

I agree that the Transparent Yellow that I bought was a better guitar than the solid ones that first came out.

I got mine when MF had them discounted at $249.

With a discount coupon, I got mine with a hard shell case for $289.

Enjoy.

Mark

Well, this new guitar day took a weird turn. One of my aims this time around was to find a guitar I could play as is with no mods down the line. I liked the Epi a lot but the high output P90s weren't what I had in mind. I like the sound of an old alnico 2 underwound pickup more than the newer, hotter ones. I debated just buying some new pickups for it, but ultimately decided to do this...

utf-8BT2tsYWhvbWEgQ2l0eS0yMDExMDMwNC0wMDA1OS5qcGc.jpg

I returned the Epi and snagged one of the last two of the Gibson Jrs with the split bucker.

Very nice guitar.

EG

Well, this new guitar day took a weird turn. One of my aims this time around was to find a guitar I could play as is with no mods down the line. I liked the Epi a lot but the high output P90s weren't what I had in mind. I like the sound of an old alnico 2 underwound pickup more than the newer, hotter ones. I debated just buying some new pickups for it, but ultimately decided to do this...

utf-8BT2tsYWhvbWEgQ2l0eS0yMDExMDMwNC0wMDA1OS5qcGc.jpg

I returned the Epi and snagged one of the last two of the Gibson Jrs with the split bucker.

Very nice guitar.

EG

Nice Score.

Good Choice!

First...

Congrats on a guitar that made itself your own.

Personally I think there's sufficient difference between any two guitars, even of the same model and right next to each other on the production line that one will fit you and some might not at all.

When we find a guitar that plays itself, and that we can afford cash-wise, I think we're very lucky guitar players. You're one of 'em.

m

They're both Kool (you know I like the Jr) but I have a question...

Why is that yellow called "TV YELLOW"?

Been wondering this for a while.........

"in 1955, Gibson launched the Les Paul TV model, which was essentially a Junior with what Gibson called a natural finish. This finish was actually more of a translucent mustard yellow through which the wood grain could be seen, and was not unlike the finish that competitor Fender called butterscotch yellow. The idea behind this TV Yellow was that white guitars would glare too much on early black and white television broadcasts, whereas TV Yellow guitars would not cast a glare."

They're both Kool (you know I like the Jr) but I have a question...

Why is that yellow called "TV YELLOW"?

Been wondering this for a while.........

from another site :

The TV finishes were because white caused flaring on early B&W TVs - TV Yellow actually appeared as white. Fender's Blonde finish was purely because after the war the woodgrain-showing-through-pale-yellow was the fashion for furniture.

As The Tele Bible says, it was also a conservative era and people just didn't go for flashy colours - even white and black! Playing an electric guitar was probably suspect enough!

Archived