Gibson Brands Forums

Cap'n Cruch Sails aways

tazzboy

If they are not going to market a hyper-sweet, hypo-nutritious cereal to kids, who are they going to market to?

To say the alternatives to serving your kids this or like cereal are other fat inducing open-the-box breakfast choices is uninformed at best. What happened to a wholesome, well rounded breakfast of an egg, toast, juice or fruit and a strip of bacon? Marketing and the Carter quarter.

Back when I graduatged high school, two income households were the rare exception. When I graduated college the rare exception was the household that WAS a one income household. Many families were forced to put the second spouse to work just to be able to survive the aftermath of 20% inflation. We have yet to recover from that tragic period of our history.

With both parents working, kids are roused out of bed, rushed though to bathroom, coated, hatted and a pre-packaged unhealthy substance was stuck in their hand so they didn't miss the bus to school.

Since then, also, children have been babysat by the latest electronic invention to come out of the silicon valley, making these malnourished, but still over fed children sessile.

With a little forethought and foreplanning, a quick in their hands breakfast can be made up on the weekend and dolled out during the week.

My kids will shed a tear of dismay, as Christmas Crunch (special Cap'n Crunch with Chrstmas trees and stars) was a family tradition for Christmas breakfast. Since the kids have flown the nest, my wife made sure we purchased a box of the Christmas treat for our kids to have and share with their families. Our one daughter, over seas, specifically asks for it to be sent if we could find it, so she had it for Christmas morning with her family. Other than that, Cap'n Crunch was rarely seen in our house.

On a related subject, while shopping, my wife wanted to buy me a can of kernel corn. As she cannot eat the stuff, she never buys it. But it was my birthday and she knows how much I like kernel corn next to my meat and potatos. The first can she picked up, a discount brand of 'corn', listed as it's FIRST ingredient, and therefore the ingredient in highest proportion by weight: Sugar. She opted for the more expensive corn that was mostly corn. Sheeeesh!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The government is not telling you anything.

From the original article "Cap'n Crunch was once the No. 1 breakfast cereal, but pressure from the White House and health activists is having an effect on how PepsiCo and other food companies peddle their products to kids."

From the original article "Cap'n Crunch was once the No. 1 breakfast cereal, but pressure from the White House and health activists is having an effect on how PepsiCo and other food companies peddle their products to kids."

1. Right, because kids have the abstract and advanced thought processes to understand what is being marketed to them. Kids should be free to see and do whatever they want just like adults.

2. The government is not telling *you* anything. You want to buy train cars full of Cap'n Crunch and eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Go for it.

This kind of stuff scares me. Our government is just growing bigger and bigger, and they don't have any confidence that we the people can make choices for ourselves. They really think we are incompetent on so many levels. So in comes the regulation. If it continues, they'll be telling us what church to go to and what to believe, and you better hope they are a fan of Gibson guitars, or look out, those will be gone too. It'll be a go green reason, that electrical instruments place undue strain on the electric power surplus.

Let's move to New Zealand.

The "government" suggesting or even encouraging better eating habits is not an example of big gummint controlling our lives. What thewy are saying is a good thing but you still will have the right to foolishly eat any garbage corporate America sells.

1. Right, because kids have the abstract and advanced thought processes to understand what is being marketed to them. Kids should be free to see and do whatever they want just like adults.

When I was a kid my mom did the shopping. My folks didn't send me to the store to buy breakfast. That's probably just me though. [biggrin]

Oh yes, lets make sure our children don't eat that bad ole Cap'n Crunch for breakfast. "You should be eating healthy. Here, have a Pop-Tart. Or a Toaster Strudel. Maybe some Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks and Corn Pops. Now...isn't eating healthy better?"

Good Grief! [cursing]

And for lunch how about some pizza rolls or a hot dog...and for dinner, HOT POCKETS! Nothing like a well-rounded diet! [thumbup]

Kids are turning into sponges though I was watching my 12 year old nephew last weekend and he said he was bored, I said it's a beautiful day why don't you go outside and ride a bike or go to the neighborhood lake which is probably 300 feet from my house. He looked at me like I was insane and said no that's ok I'll just play a video game. I said dont yo ever go outside and he was like no it's to hot I don't want to go outside. it was 77 degrees which is perfect I said that and he just rolled his eyes like aonly a 12-16 year old can do and said uncle xxxxx kids don't go outside anymore we have better things to do.

Thanks why there slug not cereal.

I eat Capt Crunch on a regular basis and have never had it cut the top of my mouth or anything else? Guess thats where the crunch comes in use your teeth.

So you're not supposed to try to down the whole box in one spoonful? j/k

You must be like my wife and have Kevlar mouth. She can take a spoonful of scalding hot anything and not even blink. Makes me feel like such a wuss sometimes.

So you're not supposed to try to down the whole box in one spoonful? j/k

You must be like my wife and have Kevlar mouth. She can take a spoonful of scalding hot anything and not even blink. Makes me feel like such a wuss sometimes.

I just bought some cap'n crunch on sale at target, didn't cut my mouth. I was disappointed. All that hype for nothing

I remember an 80's rap song that went:

Milk is chillin'.

Cereal's chillin'.

Captain Crunch to me's top billin.

'specially when I need fillin...

My friend kept singing that song to himself one night. I thought it was ridiculous., but I still remember that when I eat cereal.

2. The government is not telling *you* anything. You want to buy train cars full of Cap'n Crunch and eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Go for it.

I disagree. Kids have the abstract and prepubescent thought process and really don't know what is being market to them. heck, some 50 year olds don't even know when they're being hussled. Kids should NOT be free to see and do whatever they want.... just like adults. Doing other wise is not good parenting.

Do I think the gubmint should tell us how to raise our kids? Absolutely not. As long as you do it within the bounds of the law, the gubmint should keep it's nose out. I have seen to often how the gubmint raises kids. It's apalling. If parents raised their kids like the gubmint raises kids, the gubmint would take their kids away.... and raise them.

Krice Jehover, I hadda look that one up!

I'm trying to elevate the level of form discourse.

B)

If a parent can't say no to buying Captain Crunch, they aren't that great of a parent and are simply making Captain Crunch their scapegoat. Besides that I believe that children should be taught self-control, they won't always have their parents and government to tell them no.

If a parent can't say no to buying Captain Crunch, they aren't that great of a parent and are simply making Captain Crunch their scapegoat. Besides that I believe that children should be taught self-control, they won't always have their parents and government to tell them no.

Fascist! [biggrin]

Fascist! [biggrin]

are you calling me the fascist? I'm for the free will of everyone. It's the parent's choice what they feed their children. I don't think a product should be pulled off the market because a couple of parents just can't say no.

So basically yeah, I like playing guitar.

I disagree. Kids have the abstract and prepubescent thought process and really don't know what is being market to them. heck, some 50 year olds don't even know when they're being hussled. Kids should NOT be free to see and do whatever they want.... just like adults. Doing other wise is not good parenting.

Do I think the gubmint should tell us how to raise our kids? Absolutely not. As long as you do it within the bounds of the law, the gubmint should keep it's nose out. I have seen to often how the gubmint raises kids. It's apalling. If parents raised their kids like the gubmint raises kids, the gubmint would take their kids away.... and raise them.

My comment was sarcasm. Sorry, that does not translate on the internet. You think anyone here thinks children should be free to do and see whatever they want? My point is about exploiting children who do not yet have the ability to think beyond five minutes from now. I think pulling Cap'n Crunch ads from TV is a good thing. The government (notice how it is spelled) isn't telling you how to raise your kids. You can still go to the store and buy that box of cereal for you and your little ones.

My comment was sarcasm. Sorry, that does not translate on the internet. You think anyone here thinks children should be free to do and see whatever they want? My point is about exploiting children who do not yet have the ability to think beyond five minutes from now. I think pulling Cap'n Crunch ads from TV is a good thing. The government (notice how it is spelled) isn't telling you how to raise your kids. You can still go to the store and buy that box of cereal for you and your little ones.

ah.

[thumbup]

Archived