Gibson Brands Forums

Some people just never grow up.

Jeff-7

<chortle>

So... you young guys gonna tell me who "Slash" is?

And as far as growing up... Ain't likely. In a sense that includes music. I can easily see my liking and appreciation, even inclination to play, different sorts of music has pretty solid roots in stuff I'd heard by age 12 or so.

m

<chortle>

So... you young guys gonna tell me who "Slash" is?

And as far as growing up... Ain't likely. In a sense that includes music. I can easily see my liking and appreciation, even inclination to play, different sorts of music has pretty solid roots in stuff I'd heard by age 12 or so.

m

Slash was the guitar player for Guns N' Roses, a rock band highly popular in the 80's and early 90's. They had a bad split and both parties (mainly Axl vs. the rest of the earlier members) have had serious animosity between them. Both parties blame each other for the split.

Axl is kinda an idiot, ain't he?

I mean, beck in the day for a group of dirtbags on drugs to make it big was a big lucky break. They were the lucky ones, and usually the thing to do would be to accept it with style and grace, and work through the problems given such a great oppurtunity.

And on top of that, everyone knows that being a **** does not give you fans or make you cool, especially when you are clearly in the wrong. The cool thing would be to take it like a man.

And last, but very much not least, how uncool is it to be a rock and roller and care about a kid game?

Guest FarnsBarns

edit: Sorry, just realized I had been confused about who posted what. Milod, you are definitely old enough to not know who Slash is ;)

Jeff, 27 is actually on the young side for knowing who slash is. Surely you jest. Youvhave heard of Guns and Roses haven't you?

But of course [tongue] I listen to everything from the 50's and 60's to today's current music. Heck I even watch movies from the 30's and 40's.

<chortle>

So... you young guys gonna tell me who "Slash" is?And as far as growing up... Ain't likely. In a sense that includes music. I can easily see my liking and appreciation, even inclination to play, different sorts of music has pretty solid roots in stuff I'd heard by age 12 or so.

m

LOL...sounds like a Serial Killer, doesn't he? ;>)

CB

Does anyone know why the group broke up?

Edit: Got this from Google answers;

They didn't break-up, as such. The members gradually left (One was fired, most of the others left because they had disagreements with Axl Rose or they didn't like the direction the band was going) and they were replaced with other members. Until only one member from the original line-up was left, Axl Rose.

Does anyone know why the group broke up?

Edit: Got this from Google answers;

They didn't break-up, as such. The members gradually left (One was fired, most of the others left because they had disagreements with Axl Rose or they didn't like the direction the band was going) and they were replaced with other members. Until only one member from the original line-up was left, Axl Rose.

Depends on where you get your information Dave, I've seen some sources claim it was because Axl was getting deeper into drugs and was writing racist lyrics (and that Slash left because he wasn't comfortable with that, being half Brazilian or w/e) - to cutting out all the parts done by GnR members on a song for the Interview with a Vampire soundtrack and replacing some with a friends contribution which was the final straw for Slash. You can find all sorts of conflicting information out there.

Axl might be right in saying Activision decieved him. But it's all just sour grapes IMO. I don't know of anyone clamoring to see images of Axl or listen to anything he's done in the past 20 years. Except maybe Oilpit, and we haven't seen him in over a year [omg]

Guest FarnsBarns

Axl might be right in saying Activision decieved him. But it's all just sour grapes IMO. I don't know of anyone clamoring to see images of Axl or listen to anything he's done in the past 20 years. Except maybe Oilpit, and we haven't seen him in over a year [omg]

Oh, now come on, the guy has one of the best rock voices I've ever heard. The versatility and range he has is incredible. I don't think it works 100% with the band he has now but he is good, if better when paired with Slash.

I saw them at Reading Festival last August and they did a pretty good job. They got unplugged half way through a song because they were way over curfew time having come on over an hour late. they went and got acoustic instruments, sat on the edge of the stage and carried on for some time with about 5000 people crushing to get close enough to hear (hehehe I was back stage guest list so I could hear just fine). It was pretty good and the rebelliousness felt good.

You gotta give a man credit when it's due.

I was a big fan of G'N'R back in the day. I said after the release of the " Use Your Illusion " albums that I thought, if the band stayed together, that they could be as big as Zeppelin one day. Well, needless to say, they didn't stay together and what a shame that is.

I don't think any of us will ever know the true reasons for what went on; all we can do is enjoy the music that they left us.

I saw them at Reading Festival last August and they did a pretty good job. They got unplugged half way through a song because they were way over curfew time having come on over an hour late. they went and got acoustic instruments, sat on the edge of the stage and carried on for some time with about 5000 people crushing to get close enough to hear (hehehe I was back stage guest list so I could hear just fine). It was pretty good and the rebelliousness felt good.

This is the only cool thing I've ever heard of Axl doing where it seemed that he cared about his fans. Of course, they wouldn't have had to go acoustic if they'd gone on in time, but... still. A long way from the F-you attitude he's had ever since I can remember.

Guest FarnsBarns

This is the only cool thing I've ever heard of Axl doing where it seemed that he cared about his fans. Of course, they wouldn't have had to go acoustic if they'd gone on in time, but... still. A long way from the F-you attitude he's had ever since I can remember.

Yeah, thing is, they were boo'd at full shout by about 30,000 from before they walked on for the whole of the first song because they were over an hour late and never said a word, they just started. They sorted that by playing one of the classics second, I forget which. More than 3/4 missed the end because of the last train and they had a tiny crowd. I think he might have learned something that night. Reading festival (uk) is pretty hardcore with at least one band being bottled of the stage every year. Everyone has heard of Glastonbury but that's a bit of a joke among real music fans. We all call it the estate agents festival!

Chinese Democracy was one of the best guitar based Rock albums of the decade. Sure it wasn't perfect, but when it's good it's leaps and bounds better than 2000's mainstream rock.

As for Axl and Slash, there are two sides to every story, and we haven't heard Axl's side. He explicitly told Activision that Slash was to have nothing to do with the game. It's a fair lawsuit IMO.

Archived