Gibson Brands Forums

FastFret

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

I've used fast fret on my strings, from time to time, for years. It's supposed to prolong fret live and give you a smoother action.

Does anyone know about it? Are there any down sides?

I used fast fret before on my bass strings. Felt great on the left hand. But my right hand fingers started to stick to the strings during swing through after a while.

I went to the Dunlop 65 lubricant, and liked the applicator and bottle better, but started to get the right hand fingers getting caught on the string during swing through, too. I am not sure if it was from the lubes or the venue humidity. It happened at home too. Also humid there.

Try it. Cheap and can't hurt.

Couldn't say about prolonging string or fret life. Definitely helps your left hand move smoother across the strings. Keep in mind I used it on flatwound bass strings.

I used to use Fast Fret back years ago. It has no real ill effects from it's use. I especially used it to shine up my maple fretboard on my strat when string change / cleaning time came around. Fast Fret last forever too, well......almost. Buy it once and you will have it for years. I now use Dunlop 65 and the Dunlop Lemon oil and the polish and I like these products a lot. I don't think Fast fret really ever prolonged my string life though........strings "die" due to finger oil and gunk getting in to the spaces between windings, general rusting, and due to the physical breakdown of the metals just from being tuned to pitch and being "played".

Guest FarnsBarns

Well I'll tell you why I asked. I've used it for years. Now I found a pack when I was going through my odds and sods cable bag so I wacked some on my R6. The guitar has a super low action and now I have some slight buzz. I'm gonna have to restring it now. I s'pose I could raise the bridge but I've just spent 4 months getting used to the low action.

Guest FarnsBarns

The action was as per the factory, actually, so are the strings so I would be due a change but they weren't dead, or even dying.

I LOVE Fast Fret. It makes 5-year-old strings feel new. In my experience it drastically lengthens string life. Before using it I'd break strings at least once a month. It's been years since I last broke a string.

Are you saying you use a set of strings for 5 years?, that you only change them when one breaks?

None for me thanks! personally I don't care for it, and I don't like anything more than human sweat on my strings/fingerboard. I don't need it to keep my strings 'clean' either, because I change them pretty often.

But, If it works for you.. by all means go for it!

I used to play in a band with a guy, that had it in his head that he HAD to have the stuff slathered on his guitar before he could play. He didn't have some one gig, and he was in a bad mood all night.

I think it is great stuff.

I use it to CLEAN the strings. Fried chicken, barbaque, girlfreind makes for sticky strings. It isn't so much an "addiction" that I need them all slicked up, but a squirt and wiping the strings cleans them super easy and restores them to normal and I'm also not so freaked out about having clean hands all the time. It leaves much less residue than I would have thought when I first started using it.

I use it. Probably about once a week, just wipe it on the strings on all my guitars. I have been changing my strings less because I just play my acoustic more and the LP not as much. The Strat comes out every once in a while when I feel like blowing out some brains

Archived