Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Jr. Appreciation Thread

Californiaman

Love my Blues Jr.

It's a special limited run.

Called the Fender Two-Tone, it's a Blues Jr. with a 10" X 12" speaker configuration.

Mine is also a solid dovetailed pine box.

Like all BJs it's a 12ax7 and EL84 amp with a SS rectifier.

Because it's a master volume amp, you can turn down the master and crank the volume to get some real gritty sounds. It cleans up nice too.

101_0052.jpg

53110020.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s9BZBEUvDs

I have two Blues Jr., one is the Standard Blues Jr in Black Tolex the second one it a VOS in Yellow Tweed with the Jensen Speaker. The plain model is at home and the Tweed at work so I have not done a side by side comparison.

Personally I think they would sound better with a 2 X 12 cab plugged in to them.

My "Blues Jr." is a great little amp, (mostly) Stock! I've owned it,

for 10 years, or so. It's just the standard black tolex model.

However, I did change the speaker, to a Celestion "Vintage 30!"

Made a nice difference, once it was "broken in." I use it, all

the time, playing out in bars, and small clubs. It's plenty loud,

and toneful, for that.

CB

I went for its little brother, the Pro Junior. Bought it when they first came out, back around '94. Blonde tweed, 15 watts, tone and volume. Best amp I ever bought.

Favored by Nils Cline, Monster Mike Welch, Jay Mascus, and Phil X....not bad company

I went for its little brother, the Pro Junior. Bought it when they first came out, back around '94. Blonde tweed, 15 watts, tone and volume. Best amp I ever bought.

Favored by Nils Cline, Monster Mike Welch, Jay Mascus, and Phil X....not bad company

I really want a Pro Junior!

Last year while guitar shopping I tried several guitars through a Blues Jr. and I was so impressed that I bought the amp too.My Blues Jr. is a Limited Edition Blonde model,only the covering is different-the insides are the same as the stock B.J.When I tried my Epi Les Paul Trad Pro through a Blues Jr. it sounded just like Robert Fripp's PAF Les Paul sounded like on King Crimson's first album.The B.J. has to be about the best bang for the buck out there tone wise.

Wow!

Awesome tone, and I gotta say, you're a hella guitar player sir!

I am impressed.... expecially with the tone on the slide!

No.

That's not me.

I'm sorry. I should have been more clear.

I apologize for any confusion. That young man can play though.

It's the only Fender Two-Tone Amp on Youtube.

Sorry again for any confusion.

I do love my amp.

As previously mentioned, I have a 10 year old, Blues Junior.

Got it out, today...and plugged my HR Deluxe's matching (closed

back) extension cabinet, into the BJ's speaker jack (BJ's have no

extension speaker jack, unfortunately...But, I may have it modified

for one, now...lol)...and MAN, what a difference, in tone, and bottom

end. The "boxy" quality, due to it's small cabinet, was (obviously)

no longer in evidence! I may get another (used) one, and have a "head"

made out of it.

It made me wonder, why they (Fender) doesn't make a BJ version

15-watt Tube head, too...'cause it sure sounded Great, through

that closed back cabinet! Much fuller!

CB

What speakers do you have in your cab CB? I really like that idea and may eventually do the same for my ac30 (even though I love how it sounds stock).

Any chance of some clips comparing the BJ with and without the cab?

Well, I'm no good at posting "clips," (Trust Me...LOL), but I will tell you, that it's a Celestion G12P-80(watt)

8-ohm speaker. The HR Deluxe extension cabinets are GREAT, and inexpensive, relative to (great) construction and tone.

$299 at MF, and I got mine, during one of their "sales," for $225, new...with free shipping. Makes an excellent

"small stack," with the HR Deluxe. But, the HR Deluxe is a LOUD amp, and it's sometimes "too much" at it's "sweet spot,"

for the smaller (bar) venues, we often play. But, I think I'm going to start taking the Exstenion cabinet, putting IT

on the amp stand, or even on the floor, and just using the BJ as a "head."

As to your AC-30? The other guitar player, in our band, is using one of those, and is looking to get either a 2X12

closed back (Vox) cabinet, or their 4X12 closed back cabinet. BUT...IF he does that, I'll have to start using my HR

Deluxe and run it through my Marshall (1960A) Cabinet. OR...just get a DSL for the Marshall. ;>) LOL

You might look into Fender's 2X12 VM Closed back cabinet, that usually goes with their newer "Bandmaster VM" head.

If, you don't mind mixing brands, that is. ;>)

Cheers,

CB

No.

That's not me.

I'm sorry. I should have been more clear.

I apologize for any confusion. That young man can play though.

It's the only Fender Two-Tone Amp on Youtube.

Sorry again for any confusion.

I do love my amp.

It's ok man. As previously mentioned, your not playing on the clip in no way detracts from the quality of tone or talent represented therein.

(I'm sure you'd smoke him in a head to head anyway... *cough cough*)

:D

Wow thanks for all the info CB! $225 with free shipping is a sweet deal.

I don't mind mixing brands. I really don't care whether or not my gear matches as long as it sounds cool haha. I'll definately check out the VM closed back as well as some others.

Thanks again!

Archived