Gibson Brands Forums

new found appreciation

Silenced Fred

for the Beatles!

Just saying, I've been working on my speech, and I've been playing the Beatles a ton, and the song writing is superb!

Now I get it [blush]

Congrats!!! All around AWESOME music. From the melodies to the lyrics. And they have so much music to stimulate your mind. Congrats again!

for the Beatles!

Just saying, I've been working on my speech, and I've been playing the Beatles a ton, and the song writing is superb!

Now I get it [blush]

Fred, I wonder if you realize, too, that many of us older guys (I'm gonna be 58 next month) started playing because of them. They were a great

influence.

Fred, I wonder if you realize, too, that many of us older guys (I'm gonna be 58 next month) starting playing because of them. They were a great

influence.

Oh yeah! I could just never get into them, not sure why. But now I am

I need to really work on choruses and bridges for my songs, and I've been listening to more "pop" music

for the Beatles!

Now I get it [blush]

Aww Cripes!

And here I had such great hopes for you.

I thought you of all people would keep wearing the hat and vest, and staying out of tune!

Aww Cripes!

And here I had such great hopes for you.

I thought you of all people would keep wearing the hat and vest, and staying out of tune!

Not saying I'm gonna be a Beatles cover band, but I need to work on my damn choruses and bridges, I want em to be huge

Trust me, I tune by seeing if the strings don't buzz with the tension, tuner? Nahhhhh

It took until my mid 20's to be able to even really listen to the Beatles. Which wasn't to long ago. It was really just me being stubborn. It was a case of family members, guitar teachers, friends' parents(from England), and others telling me how no one compares to the Beatles, and if I didn't share the same opinion I didn't know what I was talking about. This caused me to just retaliate by totally ignoring their existence for quite some time. I guess I grew up and finally got over it a few years ago and gave them a chance. They are definitely good and I like them now, but way overhyped IMO (atleast in my certain situation).

...... They are definitely good and I like them now, but way overhyped IMO (at least in my certain situation).

Not an uncommon opinion of those who did not experience the changes constantly occurring in surrounding music scene and culture over the time period their music was originally released. Things changed very fast in the 60s, going from Doo-wop, teen idols, folk hootenannies and chaperoned parties in the early sixties, to psychedelic rock, guitar gods, rock concerts and sexual liberation in the late sixties. It's would be hard to explain how a single band could have such a large influence on not only music, but the culture of the time. The nearest thing like it I can think of is the influence of certain genres that came along - examples being - punk, rap, grunge - where the bands in the genre influenced the music and culture of the time.

Not an uncommon opinion of those who did not experience the changes constantly occurring in surrounding music scene and culture over the time period their music was originally released. Things changed very fast in the 60s, going from Doo-wop, teen idols, folk hootenannies and chaperoned parties in the early sixties, to psychedelic rock, guitar gods, rock concerts and sexual liberation in the late sixties. It's would be hard to explain how a single band could have such a large influence on not only music, but the culture of the time. The nearest thing like it I can think of is the influence of certain genres that came along - examples being - punk, rap, grunge - where the bands in the genre influenced the music and culture of the time.

I understand what you're saying. Just in my situation I got to the point where I didn't want to hear it anymore. My way of lashing out at the people who were cramming how great the Beatles were down my throat was to not listen to them. That way when they started talking about them again (which was all the time for some reason) I could say "You don't say? I've never really cared to listen to them." Then when they offered to play some, I would decline. Really irritated some people, but hey they were irritating me with the Beatles love fest all the ****ing time.

Thankfully I've gotten over it and gave the Beatles a listen. It's definitely broadened my musical horizons, but wasn't the life changing event some made it out to be. I guess you just really had to be around for it in person.

I too got into the Beatles a little later (probably around 23 or so). Sometimes you're just not ready to listen to a band. Early on, for me, if it wasn't some kind of Metal, it sucked. That's something cool about music. You can always discover new (to you) stuff, and that rules.

Archived