Gibson Brands Forums

Advise on a SG purchase, please

bluzhammer

The SG is the best sold Gibson model.

I ordered one with coil taps and loved the 60's neck but I returned it because it came with a rosewood neck instead of ebony. I thought the pickups sounded just OK.

The problem for me is that most SGs come with a rounded neck and I want a 60's neck on an SG, not many options then.

First electric guitar I ever played was a Epiphone Pierced SG that one with the X thingie cut in it, wasnt too shabby I liked it, kinda a bit hard to compare to the real thing though, I noticed that between a Epiphone Explorer and my Gibson Explorer, but I still rocked that pierced SG for like 3 years.

I have been mulling over purchasing an SG Standard and am undecided on pulling the trigger. I would appreciate any pro / con comments. Thanks [confused]

Have you actually played one? In a store, or a friend's? They're great guitars,

and awesome looking, but they're not for everyone. IF you're just looking at them,

via a web-page (MF, Sweetwater, AMS, etc.), I'd go to a store that has them, and

try out a few. Even the same model's feel, differs from guitar, to guitar. Plug

it into the same amp, you're used to, as well. See how it sounds, and feels. But..

IF you have already done all that...then, "nevermind." ;>)

Pros: Light weight, amazing upper fret access, nice necks, and great tone, killer looks.

Cons: Light weight (some people like a more "substantial" feeling guitar), balance...

you have to find one, that's evenly balanced...they can be "neck heavy," with some

models. Tone differs, slightly, from a Les Paul. SG's tend to be a bit darker, and

more "mid-range" (IMHO) than a brighter (Maple Capped) sounding Les Paul. That's not

always a bad thing, either. Depending on your tonal preferences, and applications.

Also, with the "longer" neck, some people seem to have tuning stability issues. So,

it's one thing, to look out for. Most can be resolved, as with any guitar, with a good

set-up, and proper "nut" dressing. Tuners (Machine Heads) are rarely the problem.

CB

I'll definitely second those suggesting tryout with the guitar.

At the level of a Gibson price tag, each neck will differ because of significant handwork - and that's from HenryJ himself.

That said, depending on the specific neck, yadayada, I think personally that the SG is "the" solidbody for versatility. Mine has handled rock, country, jazz and some in between stuff quite nicely.

m

I have been mulling over purchasing an SG Standard and am undecided on pulling the trigger. I would appreciate any pro / con comments. .......

Sorry Bluz - I don't recall what instruments you currently own and what you're into.

Without knowing any of that, I wouldn't pick the SG for jazz, but it can handle just about anything else. Great upper fret access and lightweight. I really love mine. Only negative I can think of is that some complain of certain setups having a tendency for the headstock to dive - I don't have that trouble.

As others have said, get to a shop and try a few out.

Big...

For what it's worth, for years my 1970s Guild S100c - an SG clone - has been my backup to the 175 for fingerstyle jazz stuff...

The mellow mids work quite nicely with emphasis on the neck pickup - and that's with 8-38 strings through an AE 30-watt SS amp. It's even nicer through a big old tube jobbie.

But then, that's just me.

m

My first "real" electric was a 1997 SG Standard in ebony. I didn't like it. I don't know what pick-ups the Standard comes with now, but mine had the 490/498 combo (or something like that) and I really disliked them: too too muddy.

Do yourself a favor and at least TRY an SG Classic with the P-90s.

Good Luck!

Big...

For what it's worth, for years my 1970s Guild S100c - an SG clone - has been my backup to the 175 for fingerstyle jazz stuff...

The mellow mids work quite nicely with emphasis on the neck pickup - and that's with 8-38 strings through an AE 30-watt SS amp. It's even nicer through a big old tube jobbie.

But then, that's just me.

m

I actually owned a mid-90s Guild S-100, and while the standard Seymour Duncans wouldn't work for jazz, I actually found the Guild to be a far superior guitar, and one of the best solid-body guitars I have ever owned. OUTSTANDING craftsmanship and better-quality everything. I really miss that guitar, and miss Guild electrics in general. My mistake to sell it, but am looking for one in nice Heritage Cherry....

For me I knew I wanted a Standard when I picked one up at a local music shoppe. I had no intention of buying an SG up until that point (Not because I was opposed, I just wasn't interested at the time) and I am constantly reminded of why I got it when I pick it up and play it.

To each their own though if it doesn't feel good to you why pull the triger now?

Big...

But then, that's just me. ....

Not surprising to me. When I have my SG out, I sometimes do some jazz noodling on it using the neck pup. It works and I didn't mean to imply it wouldn't work. I have/had other choices and my SG was more than a couple down list.

That's an interesting string gauge choice. I can see it for mellow, but how careful do you have to be with force to avoid a thin sound ? . . (For me, the lighter my gauge choice the thinner my tone goes under more forceful picking)

The past decades I've mostly done fingerstyle, bare fingers. I'm pretty gentle.

That particular guitar always has worn the 8-38. Even did some country rock in the 70s - as in CCR - and no problem with a light flatpick. My attack with a flatpick was kinda at a 45 degree angle 'stedda flat-on to the strings, so even that was pretty gentle.

As you note, it doesn't respond well at all to pounding on the strings, even back at the bridge. You still can get a pretty sharp attack back there, but not by pounding.

m

If you are not picky about the pickups I would say make sure you like the neck on whatever model SG you buy, I find the tipycal SG neck very rounded. Just something to keep in mind.

I am looking for an SG myself and there are a lot of options. The SG Classic with P90s is a great value, although buying a case for it closes the gap with the price of a standard.

SG Stnd is an excellent playing and sounding guitar...I love mine...more than my LP Stnd Trad and USA Strat....or any other guitar I've ever owned. My son's pining for an SG now....gonna find an eBay deal...ebony. Buy used... insist on the thinner/faster 60's neck.

Really starting to like the Standard. I played one yesterday at the local GC, and was impressed. Probably going to pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks since I have a ton of sideline jobs to finish up and collect on. It does seem to have a darker , mid range tone that I find very appealing.

Archived