Gibson Brands Forums

What do you SJ fans think of this?

jannusguy2

Well it's cool, but like EuroAussie I'd want a burst. And a teardrop pickguard. Wouldn't swap my Woody Guthrie for it. More uniform string spacing on mine too (and no compensation on the B-string either, interestingly - no problems with intonation either...). But this is the guitar that Johnny Cash should have had.

I'd have to see it in-person. I'm not big on black guitars, although the sweet looking bridge does make a nice contrast.....Yeah, Cash would have carried one of these very well. Of course, Cash would still be Cash even if he had a Uke.

'S'alright if you like black....I prefer SBurst.

The bridge string spacing is totally not accebtable.....WRONG.... and Gibson should be embarassed if they let a guitar go out like that.....AND we are all screwed as Americans if that IS the case! [sad]

I would never put a black guitar down, still for me they kind of belong in the 80ties. I have one – a Yairi, but wouldn't buy another unless we're talking electric. These wooden acoustics are made of brown, , , and of course becomes irresistible in all the burst-variants (but you're already there, I know).

Thinking twice, everybody sooner or later ought to have a blackie-acquaintance. Maybe your time has come -

I'm not big on black acoustics but the bridge is beautiful.

Why oh why the clunky tuners ?

If you notice, the bridge has a real good shape to it, like the 50's Gibsons that I'm familiar with.

It is definately a better looking bridge then what I've seen on the J45TV's.

Some might say it's the same bridge template but I think otherwise.

Just for the heck of it I'm going to look for some pictures of a TV and compare the two.

While I prefer sunbursts I find the black one intriguing. I came really close to buying an all black SJ-200 once. There's nothing wrong with the string spacing, whoever strung it just did a poor job...

I had a black Ovation Legend at one time and never cared for it. It looked a whole lot better in the store than it did once I got it home. I prefer some burst variant or natural.

Not a fan of solid colors of any type - I like to see the woodgrain. The bridge is noticeably cool because it's offset by the black. And has ... woodgrain! Note the D is heading west and the G is heading east. I think someone dropped their pick in the sound hole and had to cram their hand in to get it and pushed the strings apart. (I'm not even going to bring up the bridge pins.)

On my computer monitor it looks like maybe the D and G strings are not quite in their too-shallow bridge slots. I would hope that's all it is.

Let's hope that nobody at Gibson would let it leave the factory with string spacing like that ....

Jack6849

Archived