Gibson Brands Forums

How do you design your set?

First show, we started off pretty calm, and built it all the way up to a super rocking finish.

Next show, we are starting off strong, backing off, then building back up.

IMO, a set needs to have fluctuation, just like songs. If everything is all serene, its boring to me or if something is balls to the wall rocking the whole time, I'm not as impressed.

Anyone?

Balls to the wall every time. I never know if I am going to wake up the next morning so anytime I pick up my guitar I play it with all my heart and passion, sometimes with that burning feeling in my loins (usually attributed to the hooker the night before)

Balls to the wall every time. I never know if I am going to wake up the next morning so anytime I pick up my guitar I play it with all my heart and passion, sometimes with that burning feeling in my loins (usually attributed to the hooker the night before)

I should explain more. Just because a song is softer doesn't mean I'm not playing without heart. All I'm saying is does every song in your set heavier? Or do you have more fluctuation

I don't gig, so I don't count. But I think you need to grab your audience and beat them over the head with your first tune. If people are dancing, you gotta throw some well timed, slow, belly rubbing stuff in there in between the rough stuff, and of course, you gotta finish strong.

Depends on what music you're playing.

For example, at a BB King show I had the pleasure of going to, BB himself kept it pretty low key. It was a very personal, reverent show. While no he is not Hendrix, he is not going to blow the roof off, he did manage to make it one of the most memorable shows ever for me. He started out, simple, and kept it going for a long while, and ended it with The Thrill Is Gone (to which everyone sang along). He did nothing more than play his soul out. If that is your style, go for it. It worked very very well for him, because for the most part he is a soft player, and he worked with what songs he had to play.

That being said, on the opposite end of the spectrum. Take Joe Bonamassa. He is not one for complete subtlety, he is the guy who blows the roof off. Pertaining to this topic, the thing I noticed the most is that he took time to talk to the crowd (whereas BB remained mostly silent, though altogether warm), he engaged us, made us laugh, and that is the part of the show that sticks with me the most (well.. actually second to the encore). He did progressively get heavier as it goes on, finishing with an his incredible version of Just Got Paid. It's also worth noting that he used two songs (one a solo bit of Woke Up Dreaming) as something of a segue from the lighter bits (well.. lighter for Joe), to the one's that kicked more *** (Ballad of John Henry etc etc).

In the end, it is very dependant on what type of music you play, what type of environment you want to foster, and how much you love what you're doing. If you could give us a bit more detail on your style (I'm a bit foggy on exactly what it is).

I should explain more. Just because a song is softer doesn't mean I'm not playing without heart. All I'm saying is does every song in your set heavier? Or do you have more fluctuation

Oh no I dont mean go out and play all your heavy screamy song or whatever, I mean just all out high energy, extremely high energy its what the crowd feeds off of, now making a set list that can fall into this is tricky because as mentioned you will get slower songs or ballads that dont have that energetic feel to it, this is where an improvised guitar solo or something could spice things up, I have GnR November Rain going through my head as I type this, its hard to put that type of emotion into words, but thats a great example of a softer song sung with energy. As a music aficionado I prefer a live performer missing a note or hitting a dead note or something silly like that instead of having no stage presence or energy. I saw Ozzy in 2008 when he came through town and I walked out half way through the show because everyone in the band was just standing there on stage playing, it was almost like watching a youtube video of a static picture while a live Ozzy album played in the back.

Depends on where your playing and what the purpose is? If your a big star playing a stadium concert play whatever the hell you feel like but If your background music at a coffee house or even at a restaurant bar or something you need to plan accordingly. If it's a dance place then what do the people want? I remember once going to a bar that had dancing but it was a older more sedate crowd than usual when we played something fast everybody set down and watched us when we played something slower the dance floor was filled so we went mostly slow. if you have a audience full of young people that want to wiggle and grind give them that.

I learned many years ago that the audience gets to pick the songs, even if you don't ask them - watch them and give them what they want after all isn't that why your there.

When your starting out and don't have a following for your own music be careful If you only want to play songs that you like to play just stay at home and play because if the audience doesn't like it you won't be hired again.

Gotta go with Retro here... depends on where you're playing.

Proms/Dances we used to do 2 fast songs and a slow song. If it's a showcase or battle of the bands, play your best stuff, whatever it is.

If you're headlining your own stadium show, WHO CARES???!!! WINNING!

No matter the set length, I like to do it this way and based on what I know about you, your muzak, and the places you'll play I recommend this.

- First song should be one that hits 'em hard, even if it builds up. Think of something in the vein of Wilco's Misunderstood. You also want something that is easy to warm up with and get the band rocking. Second and third songs should be some of your best material to keep the crowd into it.

- Continue to rock out, and about the fourth song play your ballad.

- Pick it back up, put your cover song in here, and if you have another killer ballad play that second to last.

- End with a huge bang. Not always your best song, but the one with the most energy. As was said, leave them wanting more.

My belief is to play every show like you made it and you are trying to make an artistic statement. People will respect that.

I always start off with a heavier song> I tend to apply the single release theory that bands used in the 80's 90's. two big songs then a slow romantic song. Fill songs and then working up to a peak. always finishing with the song you have got the most crowd response from previously.

Stay high energy until you build a following.

That guy knows what's up. I also believe in giving the audience the gift of missing you after the set is over, so don't overstay their attention span -- 20 minutes is enough. If you kill em and they are freaking out & ecstatic, then have a 1-song encore ready. If they still want to worship you, have a clipboard ready for an email list and merch and/or music for them to cherish the memory until next time.

Wait until you know for a fact the vast majority of the crowd is there to see YOU before you play anything more than one 20-minute set.

No matter the set length, I like to do it this way and based on what I know about you, your muzak, and the places you'll play I recommend this.

- First song should be one that hits 'em hard, even if it builds up. Think of something in the vein of Wilco's Misunderstood. You also want something that is easy to warm up with and get the band rocking. Second and third songs should be some of your best material to keep the crowd into it.

- Continue to rock out, and about the fourth song play your ballad.

- Pick it back up, put your cover song in here, and if you have another killer ballad play that second to last.

- End with a huge bang. Not always your best song, but the one with the most energy. As was said, leave them wanting more.

My belief is to play every show like you made it and you are trying to make an artistic statement. People will respect that.

I hear you. Right now, as the set list stands it is going to be for Battle of the Bands (15-20 minute set)

Either Creep by Radiohead or a kind of Shoegazey original song

Original song

Original song (both of the originals are kinda garage rock-y)

One Wing

I Got Mine

I would swap songs one and two and do the shoegazer song instead of Creep.

Messing around on guitar I have another song that's kind of shoegazey and garage rock, but also a bit softer so we might throw that in somewhere. I wanna close with I Got Mone because we rock the he'll out of that one. Still got a little bit of time before BOTB

Well, Teenage Alt Rocker on the scene ()

After doing about 10 gigs (our band just completed 25 last week) with 3 headliners

all I can say is

Start off with a high energy song..get the crowd listening

reduce the energy a bit in the middle..play a classic..or just slow the beat down

make sure that your second to last song is a ballad (get those lighters in the air people!!! kind of a song)

and your last track should be another high energy one involving as much of the crowd as you can (sing with me!!)

well..that's what we do (covering Green Day, Boys Like Girls, Simple Plan, All Time Low and for classics..we do GnR or the Rolling Stones)

hope you find this helpful

Cheers

Some good advice already given here. Writing the set list is always a challenge. I'll just add that if you are going to play any dancable songs, try to group at least 2 or 3 together to keep them on the dance floor for awhile. If you're playing clubs, they love when people dance, because that almost always means they have another drink.

I don't do set lists. I watch the audience, try my best to predict what they need next, and call the next song.

This always works better than set lists. Unless you are playing in a huge concert hall or stadium, you should have interaction with the audience, you are part of a dialog.

Even back in the days when we were doing concerts, warming up for major stars, we called tunes on the fly. Something doesn't work well with the mood of the audience? Change tactics. It's working? Give them more until they tire of it.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Archived