Gibson Brands Forums

Lets Talk Amps!

kaleb

I was watching more vids and found out that the Mark V demos suck cause' the player never bothers to mess with the controls. They leave the graphic eq scooped, have the bass all the way down, and try playing heavy rock when the gain is on 2! I found some GOOD Mark V demos. Completely changes my mind. When played RIGHT they kick Peaveys and Dual Recs to the curb! The Dual Rec has three channels. The name Triple Rectifier does not mean three channels, it means one more tube rectifier as they are 150 watts as opposed to 100 watts.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching more vids and found out that the Mark V demos suck cause' the player never bothers to mess with the controls. They leave the graphic eq scooped, have the bass all the way down, and try playing heavy rock when the gain is on 2! I found some GOOD Mark V demos. Completely changes my mind. When played RIGHT they kick Peaveys and Dual Recs to the curb! The Dual Rec has three channels. The name Triple Rectifier does not mean three channels, it means one more tube rectifier as they are 150 watts as opposed to 100 watts.

IMO the best Boogie ever made was the MarkIIB heads... The MarkIV were good, but it took some time to get the sound I was looking for

Yeah dude, you're right. I got my wires crossed. Sorry about that and thanks for the correction.

I do need to add to my list of amps that I like.

I really do like the Egnater Rebel series amps. They're just right for my power needs and also have a built in power soak, plus the tube mix control. Not sure about durability and this was the only factor that steered me away from them when I got my Traynor. Traynor's warranty in North America is 2 years UNLIMITED. basically the only ways to void this warranty would be modding the amp or leaving outside in the rain.

Also, since Long & McQuade music stores are owned by the same parent company as Traynor, they really stand behind these amps. I had to get my first one sent back for servicing under the warranty 2 times. Both times the store loaned me another amp until mine came back... when the issue I had reoccured a few months later and the factory told the store they couldn't find any issues (intermittant issues are always hardest to find), the store decided this met the criteria for their "no lemon" policy since they'd been able to recreate the issue in the store before sending it back to Traynor and made an even exchange for the amp they loaned me (another head of the same model). I've had no problems with the second head at all.

Fender = Not durable

ummmm... then how come I find so many great vintage (60s) silverface fenders? and yes, they work, thats pretty durable IMO

MesaBoogie = Sounds Great at loud volumes, but has a steep learning curve when dialing in tones.

not much experience with Boogies, hate all the knobs, but it isn't too bad, especially for the models without sliders.

Marshall = Needs to be cranked to max.... better consider a attenuator so your band mates wont hate you.

IMO, I got some great sound out of a 50 watt Marshall at decent levels when I went to Chicago Music Exchange. it was loud, but I think it was on like 4... I didn't play the riff from Whole Lotta Love, it played me

Peavey = only sounds good at low volume

No offense, but bullshit. My friend has a 6505+ and it sounds great, not low volume

Laney = too processed

never played a Laney

Hiwatt = Needs to be cranked to max

See Marshall comment, except substitute a bunch of Who songs

SMF Tour Series (Sound Shitty... I mean Sound City) = Great amps if you dont mind getting a good shock every now and again. [scared]

Soldano = Second best amp I have ever plugged into

Mojave AmpWorks = IMO best amp made, and it has it's own DNA

Swan = boring and dull sounding

Caroll Ann = Great tone

Bogner = Great tone

VOX = Versatile, but have the FX loop removed... it's a tone killer for that amp

Like Vox's, not so much the AC15, but I love the AC30. Not sure why, don't know enough about them to tell the differences.

Orange = Terrible

What the hell did you play? Every Orange amp I have played was phenomenal

Comments are in quote

Comments are in quote

Orange and Line6 both left feeling like I just played out of distortion box with a bass and tone knob soldered to 6" speaker that isnt enclosed [thumbdn] .... Not my kind of amps at all

Marshall voicing opens up when at 10

Peavey just cant hang once you go outside of the garage

Laneys just sound and feel loose

EDIT: Geez, I forgot the message. In my experience, the old Fenders are reliable but it's a good idea to know how to freshen them. I have not had that much luck with the newer stuff that is replete with circuit boards. Most of the Hot Rod and RI series need musical pots put in to smooth the volume. There are mods to enhance the frequency ranges. Point to point soldered amps seem to hold up better and have a mojo that I like. That holds for most of the new boutique units. I prefer EL 34's and 6V6's because they give a warm distortion at a lower volume and generally sooner than the ubiquitous 6L6. I gig with a Peavey Transamp because it does a satisfactory job, is dependable and if it gets ripped off, I can find another one at a great price. At home I use any of those below - mostly the Boogie - except for the Dual Professional. I have to either change the volume pot or buy an attenuator, it's very LOUD. Of the list below, my favorites are the Deluxes and the Princetons.

Here's what a bit of OCD, time and GAS insanity might bring you:

'10 GK MB 200 (this with a 2 X 10 with a horn is an amazing bass amp and used to amp a Roland TD12 kit)

'06 Fender Champ

'94 Fender Dual Professional

'90s Fender Bassman RI

?? Boogie F-50

?? Peavy Transtube

'66 Fender Bassman

'66 Fender Deluxe Reverb

'65 Fender Treomolux Reverb

'64 Fender Deluxe

'64 Fender Princeton Reverb

'62 Fender Deluxe

'62 Fender Princeton

'62 Fender Super

'58 Fender Champ

'57 Fender Princeton

'57 Fender Champ

'57 Fender Deluxe

'55 Fender Super (the shred)

'54 Fender Deluxe

'51 Fender Champ

'51 Fender Princeton

'46 Model 46 (pre-Deluxe)

'38 Rickenbacher all metal

Others:

60's Gibson Skylark

60's National Glenwood

'48 Kiesel (pre-Carviin)

60's Kalamazoo

60's Fender Stereo Cab in brown tolex with two 12's and enclosed back (a rare piece)

60's Vox Royal Guardsman (solid state)

60's Vox Super Beatle (solid state)

I think that's it. msp_scared.gif

Orange and Line6 both left feeling like I just played out of distortion box with a bass and tone knob soldered to 6" speaker that isnt enclosed [thumbdn] .... Not my kind of amps at all

Marshall voicing opens up when at 10

Peavey just cant hang once you go outside of the garage

Laneys just sound and feel loose

u

I'm going to chime in on your party Duane. Is there anything you actually really like? maybe stop playing Beatles songs and all your tone problems would be gone... Beatles = tone killer...just sayin

I played a Dual Terror at GC a couple of weeks ago, and I tried a Thunder 30 a few days ago...I was really impressed with the Dual..but I was in GC with ALOT of noise..at Dietze (local music shop) I was by myself in a sound proof room...The Thunder 30 was the noisiest, fizziest, amp I have ever dealt with..The distortion channel was pure shitty fuzz..So idk...the Rockerverb was the same Exp as the Thunder 30, so I need to try out the terror series again, in a more "sound friendly" environment..

Fender not being durable though...I have three shedding dogs, and a house full of smokers, and it continues to hold up strong with no repairs to date...Or even Tube Swaps...The most reliable amp I have owned was my old 90's Peavey Classic 30....After being soaked with coffee, hair, ash, and abuse, it lived on to make beautiful noise without a single repair, and was the deciding factor on my Tele...I miss that amp... [crying]

u

I'm going to chime in on your party Duane. Is there anything you actually really like? maybe stop playing Beatles songs and all your tone problems would be gone... Beatles = tone killer...just sayin

I dig Marshall's, Boogies (though challenging).... But Mojave and Soldano are the best amps IMO..

I like amps with big tones.... Keep in mind I come from an era when everything was loud, and we rehearsed 4x a week 3 hrs a day.... If we weren't playing 12 gigs a month, we were in the studio recording all night.... My equipment had to be robust and withstand volumes that were on the loud side..... and some of the amps I mentioned just couldn't hang [confused]

Trust me, I was the guitar player you didn't wanna lend your amp to [biggrin] ...

I played a Dual Terror at GC a couple of weeks ago, and I tried a Thunder 30 a few days ago...I was really impressed with the Dual..but I was in GC with ALOT of noise..at Dietze (local music shop) I was by myself in a sound proof room...The Thunder 30 was the noisiest, fizziest, amp I have ever dealt with..The distortion channel was pure shitty fuzz..So idk...the Rockerverb was the same Exp as the Thunder 30, so I need to try out the terror series again, in a more "sound friendly" environment..

Fender not being durable though...I have three shedding dogs, and a house full of smokers, and it continues to hold up strong with no repairs to date...Or even Tube Swaps...The most reliable amp I have owned was my old 90's Peavey Classic 30....After being soaked with coffee, hair, ash, and abuse, it lived on to make beautiful noise without a single repair, and was the deciding factor on my Tele...I miss that amp... [crying]

I didn't like the Thunder. I did like the Rocker 30 though

I love Orange amps. I dig that juicy (lol) crunch.

I love the cranked stoner action too. What can I say.. I like fuzz. The full blown Orange sound sounds like a tube Big Muff with mids to me. I like that..

It doesn't have to be balls to the wall distorted for me though. I think their moderate crunch is where it's at.

what I find strange in my own preferences in terms of distortion is that I love the tones of a lot of guys that swear by high gain amps... but when I plug into a high gain amp and try it out myself, the tone turns to mush. I tend to prefer low to moderate gain amps for my own personal tone.

Even when I have my Traynor voiced for more of a high gain setting (dirty channel, "modern" switch engaged with the "scoop" switch engaged)the tone I go after has the gain knob turned down fairly low with the volume knob up a bit higher. It gives a nice fat tone that still cuts through the mix this way, kinda reminds me of Santana's late 60's/early 70's tone... especially with my SG set to the neck pickup.

Hey Kaleb,

I have a 5150 1/2 stack. I'd definitely recommend getting one of those if you can. Depending on the condition, they are usually around $500 or so. I'd recommend going for one of the older (1st or 2nd generation) models if you can. They sound better to me than 6505's or later 5150's. Maybe I'm nuts (probably am). The 'clean' (rhythm) channel is kinda crappy sounding, but I'm guessing you are going for a good distortion sound anyway. Good luck.

-T

Hey Kaleb,

I have a 5150 1/2 stack. I'd definitely recommend getting one of those if you can. Depending on the condition, they are usually around $500 or so. I'd recommend going for one of the older (1st or 2nd generation) models if you can. They sound better to me than 6505's or later 5150's. Maybe I'm nuts (probably am). The 'clean' (rhythm) channel is kinda crappy sounding, but I'm guessing you are going for a good distortion sound anyway. Good luck.

-T

but... Peaveys suck :unsure:

How can this be true?

what I find strange in my own preferences in terms of distortion is that I love the tones of a lot of guys that swear by high gain amps... but when I plug into a high gain amp and try it out myself, the tone turns to mush. I tend to prefer low to moderate gain amps for my own personal tone.

Even when I have my Traynor voiced for more of a high gain setting (dirty channel, "modern" switch engaged with the "scoop" switch engaged)the tone I go after has the gain knob turned down fairly low with the volume knob up a bit higher. It gives a nice fat tone that still cuts through the mix this way, kinda reminds me of Santana's late 60's/early 70's tone... especially with my SG set to the neck pickup.

I also am a fan of Santana's tone...early and later

IMO Pete Townsend's P90 SG is one iconic powerful tone without too much gain

My favourite tones from my SG(most valve amps will do) are bridge at tone 0-3 with hi gain OD pedal, and neck coil-tapped with delay/chorus for glassy punch....

V

:-({|=

Archived