Gibson Brands Forums

You know you're addicted to guitar playing when.....

j45nick

Ha, ha ....definitey. And you look like an idiot when youre on the metro listening to a tune on the ipod and simulating the chord shape and strumming pattern .... happened to me last week [blink]

You play air guitar seriously when no guitar is around - fretting chords against your left-hand palm and practising right-hand fingerpicking on your thigh.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good one Strummer - - - let me go a bit further -

When watching a program on TV, you hear a nice song, grab the guitar and start figuring it out, using the DVR replay you got for just such an occasion. B)

And thanks Anne and Rob. B)

When watching a program on TV, you nip upstairs for a quick strum during the commercial break. LOL.

I do that one constantly. Fortunately, commercials are so long that you can get a good deal of practice in that way. I leave the guitar of the evening out on its stand in my office, and nip in there for a couple of minutes.

That's not being addicted--that's being practical. And its something I really, really need to do between practice sessions, or I start to feel real twitchy.

But I'm not an addict: I could quit anytime. Or at least cut back to one session a day. Or maybe not.....

Yes, to all of the above!!! (Substitute "purse" and "pockets" for "wallet," though...)

And when:

--You are uneasy and restless on those days when your guitar doesn't sound quite up to par (due to daily humidity changes or stuffy ears or Mercury in retrograde or whatever it is that causes this) and you worry--well beyond reason--that it won't "come back." (Your condition causes your family and co-workers to question your attention span and inquire as to the general state of your health.)

--You put your ear down on the wood while you're playing and remember the very first time you did that.

--You have more memories with your guitar in them than you have of an any one person, place, or thing.

--You love to check this forum frequently. And not only because you fantasize that someone wants to give you their cherished late 50s/early 60's slope-shouldered CW, just because it told them it has your name on it, but because there might, just might, be a thread to read or join that will, like this one, delight you because it reminds you that you belong to a tribe.

Hello, my name is Anne, and I'm an addict...:rolleyes:

Ooooh, a big plus for this one, Anne! I put my head on the guitar all the time. Or I turn the guitar to face me and play an Em with one hand just so that I can hear it from the front. Or I play a E or G repeatedly, slowly, just to revel in the sound.

You know you're addicted to guitar playing when you look at a piece of wood (table, chair, closet door, 1970's rumpus room panelling, etc) and wonder what it would sound like it if was a guitar.

You got a problem with that? It's got a little zipper pocket which I thought was made for that purpose. It's the older guy's way of always "being prepared...."

No snide comments on that.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as snide at all! Just never known anybody to do that. I had one of those rubber football shaped squeeze change things I kept picks in for years. It finally cracked.

It was just another old guy making note of something I'd never seen before. No offense intended!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as snide at all! Just never known anybody to do that. I had one of those rubber football shaped squeeze change things I kept picks in for years. It finally cracked.

It was just another old guy making note of something I'd never seen before. No offense intended!

Absolutely none taken! I was just trying to be clever, not taking offense in any way. The good thing about carrying picks in your wallet is that you always have one (or more) with you.

I had forgotten about those little football-shaped coin things that you squeeze on the ends. Do they still make those?

Absolutely none taken! I was just trying to be clever, not taking offense in any way. The good thing about carrying picks in your wallet is that you always have one (or more) with you.

I had forgotten about those little football-shaped coin things that you squeeze on the ends. Do they still make those?

You can probably get one with a renewal to AARP! HAHAHAHAhahahaha.......................

They DO...but my daughter told me if I get one she will throw it off a cliff. (drives her crazy how geeky I get at times)

I ALWAYS have multiple picks in pocket. Often a capo and always a thumbpick...as said before usually on my thumb. Daughter loves THAT, too!

I ALWAYS have multiple picks in pocket. Often a capo and always a thumbpick...as said before usually on my thumb. Daughter loves THAT, too!

You're startin' to creep me out about that thumbpick........

lol...it's great when you have an itch!! My thumb has a permanent impression of a Dunlop.

I'm old, too....I don't CARE what the others think!! It also helps keep folks away from me on the bus...

I'm old, too....I don't CARE what the others think!! It also helps keep folks away from me on the bus...

If threatening-looking people get close to you, just drool and smile like you're stark raving mad--sort of like Jack Nicholson in "The Shining". Scares the crap out of 'em. Just DON'T hit them over the head with your 'Bird. Guitars never win in that situation.

Archived