Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Repaired Headstock thoughts

RaiderAce

I have a line on a really nice new ES335. I can get a great deal on it (below cost). Here's the catch... it's headstock was broken off. It has been repaired by a factory authorized repairman. It plays great, sounds great, and the repair seems to be really top notch. You can see on the back of the headstock where the break was, but you can barely even feel the seam where it was repaired.

I'm wondering if anyone has experiences or thougths to share with me on this. I know that the glue is stronger than the wood. But, I'm still trying to wrap my head around buying a guitar that has that kind of a repair.

I actually have two guitars with neck breaks one I did myself trping over the chord and knocking a guitar off a stage, [cursing] and one I bought that way after a repair. They actually play fine and if repaired well the problem won't return. The issue is value and what there worth a really good deal may not be good enough a broken neck/headstock reduce's resale value usually about 50% don't know why it frops the value so much but it does so make sure the deal is good enough to take that into consideration. Ive seen a lot of stores talk big about how a headstock break is no big deal and they try to discount 15% or 20% but that's not enough if you ever need to think about resale.

I wouldn't not buy a guitar I really like because of a neck break but it would need to be discounted enough to cover most of the value loss if I bought it.

Probably about right from a shop there about $ 2200 new so it's about what I would expect for a new guitar damaged like that being sold from a shop. I actually bought a satin finish 335 in cherry a few months back that I'm having P-rails installed in right now. I bought it second hand from a add hanging on the bulletin board at a local guitar store. I paid $1600 cash for it and it was in perfect condition it still had the plastic wrap covering the pickups and pick-guard the guy had apparently been trying to sell if for a few months starting at 2100 and then going down a little every month until I offered $1600 since he could not get anybody to pay his asking price. I thought 1600 was a good price but I don't really know what they are really selling for used. The guy did tell me that GC had offered him $700 for the guitar and it was apparently the same guy that sold it to him for $2280 a few years back.

I would not pay more than $900.00 tops..........And IMHO, that's more than reasonable.........

As mentioned, repaired headstocks work fine, but the value is almost cut in half.......

There's a stigma attatched to broken headstocks........

i think you have to look at it in investment terms. most guitars will appreciate in value as they get older, providing they are kept in good condition.

so if you are looking to maybe sell it one day ur potential market will be small and they can dictate the price. i personally would never buy a guitar with a broken headstock, but thats just me.

if you are going to keep it forever and it plays and feels ok then try get the price down to the lowest you can do

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

I

There's a stigma attatched to broken headstocks........

And a guitar!

As the difference in price is only about 30%-off then I'd be much more tempted to buy a 'perfect' used guitar rather than a 'very well repaired' new one.

They'll be roughly the same price to buy now and, should you wish to sell / exchange the instrument at some time in the future, it will be certainly be worth more than one which has had a broken headstock.

I'd say Pass.

P.

Thanks. You guys have kind of confirmed my thoughts. I wasn't going to pay the $1500, that's the asking price. Regardless, I jus have a difficult time paying even $900 for something that's broken. It'd be one thing if I broke it, but one that's already broken?

Thanks for your input.

I would pass as well, I went searching the Bay for a cloud 9 LP and came across this in my search:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Guitar-RARE-NIN-/150577605691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230f1fec3b

Ok so I realize it was used on a tour with Reznor, but double the price of a decent studio and it had a broken headstock...

What type of 335 is it because they vary quite a bit in price?

I wouldn't pay $1,500 for a Memphis 335 w/repair because that's right around what I value them in good/great condition without a repair.

Having said that, I bought a Les Paul with a headstock repair and am glad I did.

I would make them an offer in the $800- $900 range and if they take it you got a decent deal and I wouldn't worry about the headstock but as mentioned before it would need to be a keeper.

If they don't go for it, give them your number and let them sit on it a while and look for a used one without a break... If it gets sold then it wasn't meant to be. If you find a better used one then you will never have any regrets and if they sit on it long enough and come down to your price then ya got a good deal....

My 2c's

Andy

What type of 335 is it because they vary quite a bit in price?

I wouldn't pay $1,500 for a Memphis 335 w/repair because that's right around what I value them in good/great condition without a repair.

Having said that, I bought a Les Paul with a headstock repair and am glad I did.

A satin finish dot 335. New Gibson.

I would make them an offer in the $800- $900 range and if they take it you got a decent deal and I wouldn't worry about the headstock but as mentioned before it would need to be a keeper.

If they don't go for it, give them your number and let them sit on it a while and look for a used one without a break... If it gets sold then it wasn't meant to be. If you find a better used one then you will never have any regrets and if they sit on it long enough and come down to your price then ya got a good deal....

My 2c's

Andy

I'll wait and see what happens. I'm in no rush, and I just picked up a new Les Paul yesterday. Besides, I have more guitars than talent anyways. :)

I'll wait and see what happens. I'm in no rush, and I just picked up a new Les Paul yesterday. Besides, I have more guitars than talent anyways. :)

That's what i always say! [biggrin] I swear one of these days I'm gonna walk into a music store and see a post that reads... "Great guitars and Amps looking for a musician!" and it will have my phone number and address[tongue]

Ive had good luck with Gibson headstock breaks as long as the break is along the grain of the wood, and is of a reasonable length. If the luthier cleans it properly and gets it back together with the original wood interlocking cleanly (e.g., no glue filled voids in the joint), they are just fine. As an example, a friend of mine put Kulson tuners on her '64 melody maker, making it very top heavy. Preictably, it fell off a stand and the headstock broke. I fitted it carefully back together,and she played it for another four years until (suprise suprise) it fell off the stand again, and broke the headstock a second time. Hovever IT DID NOT BREAK THE OLD GLUE JOINT. From this unscientific survey, I'd opine that the glue joint can be stronger than the original wood.

Archived