Gibson Brands Forums

Switched to 11s

Silenced Fred

I tend toward the same perspective as Searcy just noted.

OTOH, I can't forget the huge strings on Mother Maybelle Carter's Gibbie archtop - when she let me give it a try a thousand years ago when I was just past 20, that's all it was, and I'd been playing a lotta 12-string at the time. It was a bit of a shock that this little lady played it so beautifully and a strong young guy couldn't fret the darned thing without muffing half the strings.

So... I'd say whatever suits you tickles me plumb to death that you're happy.

All of us will go through phases in pickin', too - and growth/change in technique and music style can make a huge diff in what we're comfortable with.

m

my amp only goes up to 9

Ok? Were talking about strings not amps.. :-k

Anyways, I switched to 11's about 6 months ago, and JUST switched to Pure Nickel 11's...I love em, the guage is perfect for me, I;ve tried 9's 10's, 12's and Heavey bottoms, but they just didn't do it for me...What kind of strings do you use Nate?

Well I use the bigsby pretty heavy and by heavy I mean hit it a lot. So my tuning goes out and playing yesterday for like 2 hours, it's much more stable. It isnt too hard to bend strings and I prefer the feel. Heavier strings rock

if you were a "real man" you'd use 12-16-20-38-52-60 or 13-17-22-42-56-65...jus sayin

After playing with 10s on my Tele for a long time, the 9s on my SG feel like rubber bands. I don't like it anymore. I'm switching to 10s. Mah fingaz be stronga.

My Tele had 12s on it when I got it. It sounded pretty gnarly but it was crippling to play. I switched it to 10s and I think I've found my thang. 11s don't have a wound g do they?

My Tele had 12s on it when I got it. It sounded pretty gnarly but it was crippling to play. I switched it to 10s and I think I've found my thang. 11s don't have a wound g do they?

I think Dean Markley makes a set of 11s with a wound G, but the bottom string is a 52! I like the Gibson Vintage Reissues because of their balance: 11-50. Heavy bottom strings are not my style.

I think Dean Markley makes a set of 11s with a wound G, but the bottom string is a 52! I like the Gibson Vintage Reissues because of their balance: 11-50. Heavy bottom strings are not my style.

I agree, 11 to 50 is the perfect gauge set or 11's IMO, I couldn't get use to the Heavy bottoms, witch ranged from 52 to 62 gauge.

Yea, I also like heavier gauged strings, they seem to have better tone. They especially sound great on longer scale guitars, like strats and teles. Higher gauged strings to me tend to sound muddy with shoter scale guitars like Les Pauls, even with P90 pickups.

A good compromise are Boomers TNT, heavy bottoms 52s (E,A,D) and light tops 10s (E, B, G).

Yea, I also like heavier gauged strings, they seem to have better tone. They especially sound great on longer scale guitars, like strats and teles. Higher gauged strings to me tend to sound muddy with shoter scale guitars like Les Pauls, even with P90 pickups.

A good compromise are Boomers TNT, heavy bottoms 52s (E,A,D) and light tops 10s (E, B, G).

No. Heavy bottoms should only be on curvey ladies.

Which strings do you use or recommend?

I just got Ernie Ball Slinkys (meh) and they have a 54 or something on the low e

Hey Fred,

Would you post a demo of your tone?

I'll record something tomorrow. I ghetto rigged a PA system at my drummers house and we have practice tomorrow and my amp is at his house. I will get you a demo soon with some fuzz and clean tones

Archived