Gibson Brands Forums

vocalist

chris.

Studio is difficult..... A inexperienced vocalist can easily hide behind a good band live, but in the studio every off note, breathing mistake, and bad annunciation of vowels and consonants can drive a studio engineer bonkers.

Only your very good singers can transfer feeling, and great performances on to tape

Studio is difficult..... A inexperienced vocalist can easily hide behind a good band live, but in the studio every off note, breathing mistake, and bad annunciation of vowels and consonants can drive a studio engineer bonkers.

Only your very good singers can transfer feeling, and great performances on to tape

Have to call you out on this one D..... I believe you want to enunciate your vowels and consonants not announce them ( annunciation) Although if you would like to announce them you should enunciate them correctly as you do. [biggrin]

BTW Do you still believe this is true with all the pitch shifters, harmonizers, sampling, voodoo knobs and mojo switches available today?

Andy

When you're talking live performances, I feel the "Greats" are all great live.

John Sebastian blew me away, just him and a guitar, George Jones absoultely can't be beat, BB King of course, but without a doubt.... the all-time best...... Ray Charles.

Have to call you out on this one D..... I believe you want to enunciate your vowels and consonants not announce them ( annunciation) Although if you would like to announce them you should enunciate them correctly as you do. [biggrin]

BTW Do you still believe this is true with all the pitch shifters, harmonizers, sampling, voodoo knobs and mojo switches available today?

Andy

Having a vocalist and having someone that just gets autotuned is completely different IMO, and I believe we are talking about serious vocalists, not someone that just talks then gets autotuned.

For me, it would be Jeff Tweedy and Dallas Green. These two guys have influenced me and have me working on my voice and aspiring to get better. Both get it done in the studio and live.

For the record, the guy from Shinedown is fantastic. I have learned a bit from Dave Grohl, and when I have to do songs with more "screaming" or heightened vocals, I stole his trick of chewing gum to keep the mouth salivating

on live performance please plenty of people can do good in the studio it takes a real musician to do it live that why my picks are anothy kiedis and the singer for shinedown

I am calling you out on this one. I *love* Frusciante era RHCP and BloodSugarSexMagik is one of my all time favorite albums, but Kiedis is not a good singer. His pitch is always suspect and sometimes his meter is shaky. He is one of the most unmusical singers to ever hit big time. In his defense I think he is a crafty lyricist and he raps well. What has forced him to be better was Frusciante coming more upfront and dragging him along. We'll see what Josh Klinghoffer can do with Kiedis.

I am calling you out on this one. I *love* Frusciante era RHCP and BloodSugarSexMagik is one of my all time favorite albums, but Kiedis is not a good singer. His pitch is always suspect and sometimes his meter is shaky. He is one of the most unmusical singers to ever hit big time. In his defense I think he is a crafty lyricist and he raps well. What has forced him to be better was Frusciante coming more upfront and dragging him along. We'll see what Josh Klinghoffer can do with Kiedis.

have you seen recent live recordings of the chili pepers? kiedis can almost exactly replicate live what he does in the studio most big time artist today cant and he has very unique lines and a interesting tone which i personanly love part of the reason i love kiedis is because he is so unique and blends styles of music like rap pop funk and others very effectively i think he is one of the most artful singers in todays music everyone thinks of shaking up guitar and bass but only a view people shake up vocals and by shake up i mean try something new

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OqUYgiQmnY&feature=related

and plus the stage pressance he has he dances around like crasy and can still sing fine its hard to sing a show staight through normally witjout running around like a maniac

That's so true.

I can't count the number of interviews I've seen or done myself where a vocalist readily admitted he drove the studio engineers/producers mad because they couldn't get it right.

Sometimes all those "errors" are "style". Think of Willie Nelson...a horrible singer, but his style is unmistakable, (and actually matches his guitar playing).

have you seen recent live recordings of the chili pepers? kiedis can almost exactly replicate live what he does in the studio most big time artist today cant and he has very unique lines and a interesting tone which i personanly love part of the reason i love kiedis is because he is so unique and blends styles of music like rap pop funk and others very effectively

I will give you that he has gotten exponentially better since Frusciante rejoined; mainly during and after By The Way. If you didn't come up in the eighties you won't remember how bad he was pre-Frusciante.

and plus the stage pressance he has he dances around like crasy and can still sing fine its hard to sing a show staight through normally witjout running around like a maniac

You are young, so I'll give you a pass on this; I can name tons of singers off the top of my head that pull this too: Iggy Pop, Rob Tyner, Howlin' Pelle Almqvist, Henry Rollins, etc.

Sometimes all those "errors" are "style". Think of Willie Nelson...a horrible singer, but his style is unmistakable, (and actually matches his guitar playing).

No. Willie Nelson is a musician and songwriter; even with the occasional shakiness of his voice, he is still very musical. Kiedis has become great, but it has only been in the past few years. Trust me on this one (unless you are an RHCP fan from way back in the eighties).

I will give you that he has gotten exponentially better since Frusciante rejoined; mainly during and after By The Way. If you didn't come up in the eighties you won't remember how bad he was pre-Frusciante.

You are young, so I'll give you a pass on this; I can name tons of singers off the top of my head that pull this too: Iggy Pop, Rob Tyner, Howlin' Pelle Almqvist, Henry Rollins, etc.

i know other singers do it as well most notable i would say would be micheal jackson just another thing to add to his skill box and yes i agree his old stuff was not as good as he is now i would say the whole band has progressed alot as musicians from their early days but that happens with a lot of bands escpially ones that start as highscool bands another example u2

No. Willie Nelson is a musician and songwriter; even with the occasional shakiness of his voice, he is still very musical. Kiedis has become great, but it has only been in the past few years. Trust me on this one (unless you are an RHCP fan from way back in the eighties).

God you're old [biggrin]

Never could get into them really. It became a jock band real quick, all the cool kids listen to em now

I'll defer to you on this, ('cause I've never heard of these guys)

God you're old [biggrin]

Never could get into them really. It became a jock band real quick, all the cool kids listen to em now

Not old, just back dated [biggrin]

That's the thing about RHCP; I remember when Mother's Milk came out and all us skate kids and misfits were into it. Then BSSM blew everyone's mind, including mine, but for different reasons than some meat head football player. They got blamed for Limp Bisquick (or however you spell their name). That's a little unfair, but they did pave the way for meat head, ****** bag rock-rap. I still love RHCP, mostly for Frusciante's songwriting, vocals, and guitar playing. If you can get past the fans the band is pretty good.

Archived