Gibson Brands Forums

Covers that are better than the original version

daveinspain

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really think that's a cover, more of the lyrics put to a different tune.

I don't know, what qualifies as a cover? How much of a "personal spin" can one put on a song before it ceases to be a cover? Do lyrics alone dictate a cover?

Disclaimer: I am not saying they do not, I'm just trying to get everyone's brains working.

I don't really think that's a cover, more of the lyrics put to a different tune.

I don't know, what qualifies as a cover? How much of a "personal spin" can one put on a song before it ceases to be a cover? Do lyrics alone dictate a cover?

Disclaimer: I am not saying they do not, I'm just trying to get everyone's brains working.

It's not a different melody if that's what you're implying.

It's not a different melody if that's what you're implying.

True, but the famous intro is not there, and some would say that is part of what makes the song the song.

It is very good by the way.

p.s. I am not saying that it is not a cover, I'm just curious as to what you guys think the extent of cover to different song is.

That's a good version but I've yet to hear ANYTHING done by Peter Green from that era, especially anything he wrote, done better by anyone else.

Just my humble opinion.

I hope nobody puts Santana's version of Black Magic Woman as being better than the original.

I'm afraid to post mine because Evol might trash it........... [scared]

I really did wake up on the wrong side of the bed today. I have withheld more comments just because I don't want people to know what a real jerkface I can be. A lot of trashing of originals when the cover *completely* misses the point of the original. btw Turn the Page is about being on tour and NOT about a street walker.

But, please, don't let me stop you from posting. It's only the internets.

Don't be silly. The persona (and singing voice) of Tom Waits is Contrived, with a capital C.

I had two responses.

1. Shhhhhhhhhh! You're giving away the secret.

2. Are you saying Joe Bahamama's version is better? You know Waits lived in a basement in NYC between Canal and 14th street when he wrote the Rain Dogs album.

Which one you like better?

The song, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For":

Original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSv-lKwOQvE

Much better cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJIkXGhZ20Y

LOLWUT?

No, seriously, what was that? Was that Disturbed trying to do a power ballad-ish thing?

... were you serious or making a joke like mine was? Cuz that was bad

I had two responses.

1. Shhhhhhhhhh! You're giving away the secret.

2. Are you saying Joe Bahamama's version is better? You know Waits lived in a basement in NYC between Canal and 14th street when he wrote the Rain Dogs album.

Which one you like better?

lol-why-you-mad-tho.jpg

umadbro? lighten up francis [biggrin] you're gonna scare everyone away from here...

The Mojo Men did a cover of Sit Down I Think I Love You by Buffalo Springfield that was way better than the original.Creedence Clearwater's cover of Screamin' Jay Hawkins I Put A Spell On You was far better than the original. Of course I have to mention All Along The Watchtower.

lol-why-you-mad-tho.jpg

umadbro? lighten up francis [biggrin] you're gonna scare everyone away from here...

Yes, Ms. Obama.

The reason was because I got in late last night. Was at Wicker Park Fest checking out Blitzen Trapper and drinking beers. That alarm went off at 5:45hrs and I was like SHUDDUP!

Dooder! Wild Flag played Saturday night. F me! Their album cannot come out fast enough.

Yes, Ms. Obama.

The reason was because I got in late last night. Was at Wicker Park Fest checking out Blitzen Trapper and drinking beers. That alarm went off at 5:45hrs and I was like SHUDDUP!

Dooder! Wild Flag played Saturday night. F me! Their album cannot come out fast enough.

Fred digs wild flag. this is true.

I always wake up super early, so waking up hungover is no biggie for me, man up [flapper]

Yes, Ms. Obama.

Blitzen Trapper = [thumbup]

Baez wins the first one every time.

The only other one I'd care to address is the Doors' Light My fire.

I'm not saying JF is "better," but ... it's at least as "good." Some pretty decent guitar work too.

On Youtube it's noted: "Robby Krieger, (The Doors), says in a 1990 interview about the cover: 'It's really a great feeling to have written a classic. I think I owe a big debt to Jose Feliciano because he is actually the one, when he did it, everybody started doing it. He did a whole different arrangement on it.'"

m

I'd say personally that a cover is an effort to sound as close as possible to the original whereas a version or rendition is taking a tune and making it your own. Feliciano's "Light My Fire" is a good example.

The 1939 Bea Wain/Larry Clinton orchestra version of "Deep Purple" done later by Artie Shaw's band with Helen Forest is a version or rendition and there was a pop/rock version in '63 too by Nino Tempo and April Stevens who were brother and sister. It was done again in '76 by Donnie and Marie Osmond and supposedly there's a Beach Boys version out there from '78.

m

Blitzen Trapper = [thumbup]

I've seen them a few times now and they were at their best. The keyboard player left so they are leaner, meaner, a lot tighter. The cat with the ginger afro is playing a lot of keys and they all had shiny new guitars. Tons of cool dual guitar riffs and leads.

Archived