Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Yay! - SG-400 Goldtop Custom Shop

Heilly

My first SG.... wanted it to be unique. 2006 Epi SG-400 Custom Shop. Swapped out the white pickguard for black. Took off all the plastic. Replaced original with speed knobs. Plays like a dream.IMHO, you either love it or hate it. No in-betweeners. Any/all comments appreciated, welcomed. Any other goldtop SG owners out there????

DSC_6824.jpg?t=1311797818

DSC_6825.jpg?t=1311797770

DSC_6820.jpg?t=1311797848

DSC_6828.jpg?t=1311797890

DSC_6835--.jpg?t=1311800254

DSC_6822.jpg?t=1311797913

Welcome to the forum Heilly! [biggrin]

Fantastic looking guitar! Love the mods. Black PG looks much better. Maybe some black pup rings would look nice as well. Only a suggestion.

I love my G400. It's the guitar I play the most.

Hang around for a while. You'll like it here. [thumbup]

Thanks SG Ludwig, I agree, that is my next task. I am having a hard time finding a black neck tenon cover though. All I find are vintage Gibson covers on Ebay... and they want anywhere from $70 to $160 for them!

Appreciate the welcome and the comments.

post-34730-017024000 1311697932_thumb.jpg

Hi Heilly and welcome here, tremendous bunch around here, I hope you like it.

Gee, there's some real sparkle in that finish, looks fantastic, nice pg upgrade too, I agree with Brad, it would complete the look if the pup rings were black also, congrats on a wonderful geet, enjoy,

I am having a hard time finding a black neck tenon cover though. All I find are vintage Gibson covers on Ebay... and they want anywhere from $70 to $160 for them!

Appreciate the welcome and the comments.

Try these guys: http://pickguards.us/pricesg.html

If that doesn't work, buy a piece of their pickguard material and take it to your local trophy/engraving shop with the original tenon cover.

Congrats on the new SG goldy....

Hi Heilly and welcome here, tremendous bunch around here, I hope you like it.

Gee, there's some real sparkle in that finish, looks fantastic, nice pg upgrade too, I agree with Brad, it would complete the look if the pup rings were black also, congrats on a wonderful geet, enjoy,

Yeah, the camera flash brought out the sparkles more than what it looks like in real life. It is MUCH more subtle w/o the flash. I am enjoying all of the great feedback so far. I have to say, this is the best forum I have been part of so far.

Strangely enough, the inspiration for changing out the pickguard was my son's HotWheels gold corvette. LOL.laugh.gif

I gotta agree, Black and Gold, or visa versa, is a classic colour scheme, I've always loved it since the '70s when JPS used to sponsor racing cars, from formula one to touring cars to rally cars, they always were the class of the field in the looks department, at least they were to me, LOL.

Congrats on that one Heilly, really nice looking SG :)

I came across this one at my local guitar store a few weeks ago and immeadiately had to reserve it. Will own it by the end of this month.

Cheers

Nice Cyclone. Post some pics here when you get the chance! msp_thumbup.gif

Congrats on that one Heilly, really nice looking SG :)

I came across this one at my local guitar store a few weeks ago and immeadiately had to reserve it. Will own it by the end of this month.

Cheers

It's officially the end of the month Cyclone.... let's see it! laugh.gif

I'm amazed...

WAIT! lol

Did you mod by yourself or it is a brand new series????? D:! I'm totally shocked , I gotta love the colour! D:

It was a "Limited Edition Custom Shop" offered up by Epi (...for whatever that's worth). Mine's a 2006. All I did was swap out the pg and take off a bunch of the other plastic crap. As you can read, consensus it that I swap the PUP rings out to black; which is currently in the works.

I have always wondered about Epiphone's "Custom Shop" and "Limited Edition" lines. Some say it's just a ploy and means nothing.

I would be curious to get other's takes on this. All I know is I love my guitar and I plays like a dream.

There must be some credence to the "Limited Edition"-ness to this guitar because I haven't seen them new lately....

There's one up for sale on ebay. This is what it looked like before I changed things out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130556261142&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1413

That's sweet, never have seen one that color before.

A set of Duncan PhatCat PUP's (they come with black surrounds and sound like a P-90), a set of witch hat reflector knobs with pointers and black plastic at the 3 way...

You could go to a local engraver and get a chunk of the 3 ply material and cut it yourself... a piece that size is scrap to them..

• 2 weeks later...

PUP rings are on order. New pics to come.

I hear you! I hear you! eusa_listen.giflol.

OK, OK, finally got the new PUP rings on... so here she is....msp_thumbup.gif

I think it is a huge improvement....

DSC_6894.jpg

DSC_6898.jpg

DSC_6902.jpg

Archived