Gibson Brands Forums

How many of you 'play out' ?

EuroAussie

Just wondering what percentage of our Gibson forum members play outside their homes or apartments ?

I created a poll to split the various 'levels' to hopefully cover most options.

And for those that do play out, do you take your Gibbys with you or other guitars ?

For me I play out regularly but this is a strict hobby with some pocket money to pay off all the guitars and gear. Lets say its a passionate hobby and its always been a dream since a kid to do it. Circumstance and timing finally allowed me to achieve this goal. I normally play larger bar venues with the SWD as its ideal to be played through a PA and the big rosewood overtone and bottom end fill a room superbly. For pub gigs its usually either the SJ or the OM.

What about you, have you ventured out, planning to or just happy to play for yourself and those around at the time ?

cheers.

I spent the last two years on tour, now I'm just taking a brake, going back to school for at least a year. I don't know if I'll hit the road again. Although I probably will once I remember how much school sucks. (It's going to take me 20 years just to get my bachelor's at the rate I'm going)

Weekly open mike (where anything can happen) and occasional casual patio-during-dinner gigs. .

This from a week ago (I, then my daughter, start at the 1:00 min mark)--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwClaKlKkO0

Never met the bass player but have sometimes practiced with the lead player. The drummer in the first part of the clip is also a cook at the bar...

My daughter and the drummer ("cymbal-er"? [scared] ) played in a band together in 6th grade, so when the drummer just happened to show up that night (to watch the guys who are in the first minute of the clip), these girls (at the ripe old age of 18) had a reunion of sorts.

Something about the open mike outtings is making me better (even if it doesn't always show! [biggrin] ), so I ride that pony as far as it'll take me.

Not great stuff, but definitely great fun!!

Use to play out regularly, though I still kept my day job. I left the rock sceene and pursued other interest: career, marriage, kids. I woke up one morning and realized I was not splaying any more at all. A year and a half ago I traded off my j160 (which had some issues) for a j45 mc. Was primarily a bass player, so this world of acoustics is pretty much new for me. It has been fun!!

chasAK

Agree, that did look like a lot of fun !

Would you belive me Ive never played with a full band, meaning with a drummer, will be trying it out for first time on Tuesday with my friends band.

btw: how did you manage to get Johnny Winter playing with you on electric ! ? :-)

Fun stuff, Anne...I want' to come visit sometimes and go there with ya!

I play out 8-10 times each month, give-or-take a time or two. Sometimes I get burned-out with it, but so far I keep it going regularly. Over the last year approx., I've been building-up a sizeable number of retirement centers that I will eventually do instead of working (although working retirement centers, 2-3 each day, 5-6 days per week is a "real" job). I'll likely always want to "play out" at some venue. I enjoy coffeehouse crowds and folk festivals. I've never been anywhere near good enough to be a professional at this stuff, but I can and do supplement my income and will do so even more when I focus on retirement homes. I'm 64 now and never even imagined when I was 20,30, or even 40 that I would now be looking at this as a way to make some additional money for retirement, travel, the grandkids.........BTW, this last May we took the grandkids to Disney World in Florida. Over a grand of the money was from my tip jar. So, I guess I just have fun doing it. If I make some bucks, so much the better.

Early 2000's I was playing out with my band twice a month. Good weekend slots at house of blues...harpers ferry...toad. Then I met this girl at a show....and that girl wanted to get married....and here I am am. Hahah...3 kids later with a mortgage and my own company. Starting up the solo career mid next year.

I enjoyed LODI with your daughter singing....but what the hell was Johnny Winter playing?? I say get him off the stage... [lol] ...

Oh I understand, he is part of the house band and owner of the venue....so he gets to stay... [scared]

Just kidding ...looks like a fun time [smile]

I enjoyed LODI with your daughter singing....but what the hell was Johnny Winter playing?? I say get him off the stage... [lol] ...

Oh I understand, he is part of the house band and owner of the venue....so he gets to stay... [scared]

Just kidding ...looks like a fun time [smile]

Ha! You and EA with the Johnny Winter-- he (the imposter, that is) and I were just talking about JW last week; he'd love to know he evoked his idol with you clowns. [tongue]

Like I said...Wednesdays at Tallgary's-- pretty much anything can happen. Me, I just enjoy a margarita (or two) and jump right in. And, every once in a while, somebody hits the sweet spot and then we all enjoy the magic.

Can't win if ya don't play, right? [biggrin]

Archived