Gibson Brands Forums

clapton and beck?

S t e v e

"The big turning point for me was 'Beano'. It blew me away. I wore it out and scratched the sh!t out of it just learning the solos."

Gary Moore. As quoted in the May 2010 issue of Guitar magazine.

[smile]

P.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a troll

Fol de rol

Rpt 3x

And I'll eat you for my supper..rrr....

Amazing how the Yardbirds spawned such mega talent

John Mayall has a lot to answer for.....

Jeff IMO is arguably more eloquent as a musician...more open minded...working with George Martin for instance

And not afraid to acknowledge classical influences

And his Strat tone is well fat compared to many toters

Eric has embraced the star machine to a greater extent over the years.....

V

:-({|=

Beck and Clapton are both great players. Their styles are very different. Maybe if they did covers of each others songs we could get a better take on whether one is better than the other. Personally, I would like to see a show where both of them were playing and trading off on solos.

this is how you judge guitar players have them play eachothers song and see who can do best

Beck and Clapton are both great players. Their styles are very different. Maybe if they did covers of each others songs we could get a better take on whether one is better than the other. Personally, I would like to see a show where both of them were playing and trading off on solos.

With the greatest respect to you both, I don't think that the idea suggested would clear up any such thing. It might show up a player who is more versatile and adaptable than another but this is not the same as being 'better'.

Swap in some different names and consider the same concept;

Robert Johnson playing like Segovia and Segovia playing like Robert Johnson?

John Lee Hooker playing Satriani and the reverse?

BB King playing Neil Young and ditto?

Would those experiments teach us anything we couldn't already guess?

:-k

And what about Gary Moore playing like Peter Green? Anyone else got 'Blues For Greeny'? Anyone prefer any of Moore's versions to the originals?

P.

Okay....

Clapton and I are within months of the same age and in ways it might provide a bit of insight. Also, consider I've never had a "guitar hero" whom I worked hard to emulate.

I was not a Clapton fan because I was doing other things musically and personally in his greater fame days. The last 10 years or so I've listened more to some of his stuff. Ditto Mark Knopfler - but not necessarily the more "famous" material.

Frankly I appreciate the versatility and "okay, now I can play for fun even if a lotta what I'm doing is old stuff and having fun with gigs that are fun to do."

In fact, I envy that. Whether there's "improvement" or "growth" in technique or not, I see smiles and a relatively relaxed good time on stage that I find appealing.

m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTu5yRa3QtE&feature=feedrec_grec_index

I've just come across this on You Tube.

Let's throw another hat into the equation.

Luke. Imo the best there is. Watch this vid and tell me who is better? They may equal him. But not better him.

Shredding doesn't help him measure up to Leo Nocentelli. He doesn't even come close for his lack of taste and style.

I know the OP is trolling but I really do honestly think Clapton's playing is mediocre and bland -- which is exactly why so many people are devoted fans.

Beck is just milking a lifelong career of imitating Nigel Tufnel.

also, just gotta say, that by today's standards Clapton may not be mindblowing on a technique level, but he's a very tasteful soloist... Jeff is more technical and also very tasteful in what he does... and most of the people that todays younger players look up to are likely infuenced by these guys either directly or these guys influenced their influences.

also, back in the day they were innovators - the world owes a lot of now classic tones, effects, recording techniques to these guys.

my last comment on this thread as it was an obvious attempt a flame war... how lame.

The thing about the old school guys ie Clapton, Hendrix etc. is that they were pioneers. You think Hendrix was copying some other dude? He made his sound from scratch. Much respect to all of them for where they brought guitar and popular music. After all, without them we all might be trumpet players and that does not sound near as fun!

J

Archived