Gibson Brands Forums

What computer do you use?

Andre S

Linux is a Unix based operating system as well and I find that it's a much better operating system than Mac. And it's free to.

Linux is good too... as a server. We have many Unix & Redhat severs that we maintain, and the Redhat machines perform phenomenally. However, in my opinion, as a desktop the end user experience sucks. But it is getting better I think. It's 1000x better than the first slackware distro I installed back in 1995. I think it will eventually get there.

Computers are a personal choice, similar to guitars. One might inspire you, while the other makes you want to puke... even though they both do basically the same thing.

I use both PC and Mac on a daily basis, and I only slightly prefer the Mac because I can pull up a shell prompt and get my Unix on.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Linux is a Unix based operating system as well and I find that it's a much better operating system than Mac. And it's free to.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......but technically isn't the OSX a unix operating system a distro of "Darwin"? There are so many distros of unix or linux like Redhat, Slackware, Suse and so on. So why would "Darwin" which what Mac's OSX is not any better????

• Dell Studio XPS 8100
  • Intel Celeron Covington Core i5 Processor, 64-bit
  • 6GB RAM
  • ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series graphic card
  • 23" LG E2370V IPS/TFT LCD Panel

But I would like that peripheral attached to the Apple notebook.

Now I know why Apple is so popular.

After using a Mac and Atari going to PC seemed like it would be much more difficult to use. And at first it was. They are similar but do many things differently.

Being that you cannot write the best Band-in-a-Box styles on a PC (it's a BiaB thing not a computer thing) I stuck with the Windows machine, slowly learning the ins and outs of it.

I think that when a Mac user goes to the PC, he/she will find it more difficult to use, because they don't know the PC-specific short cuts. But if he/she sticks it out long enough, he/she will find the PC as easy or easier to use, depending on the software he/she uses.

After working with both, I find the PC easier to use, although I didn't at first. There are more keyboard shortcuts (sometimes your hand isn't on the mouse), right-clicking opens context-sensitive menus for when your hand is on the mouse, and most of all this:

If I want to copy and paste something from one PC app to another, I open both, highlight an click once to copy, move the mouse to the new app, click and paste.

On the mac I open one, click and copy, then I have to perform an extra click to get the Mac to focus on the second app, then click again to paste. An extra click. And going back to the original app requires an extra click.

With up to 400 patterns, that's a lot of extra clicking and one tired mouse finger.

But as I said before, that's the way I use the computer.

Either OS is a good one, they are tools, and the tools can make your job easier or more difficult depending on what you use them for.

For writing BiaB styles, the PC is a no-brainer.

An analogy:

Cars are tools.

I'd love to own a Prius hybrid car and get up to 60 mpg like a friend of mine does. But I haul a PA system and musical instruments to the gig, so a minivan is the tool I require.

Let the job determine what tool to use. If the software you use works better on the Mac, by all means get a Mac, if the software you use works better on the PC, get a PC.

It's not about hardware wars, or OS wars, it's about app wars. Both Macs and PCs are worthy, and if you get a high-end PC, it is as reliable as a Mac. And frankly, I've gotten better tech support from IBM and Lenovo than I have from the Mac. In the few instances where I needed them, I've had very short hold times, American English speakers who knew what they were talking about, and the problems were solved quickly. I even had an IBM rep help me with a Linksys problem after a Linksys "screen reading rep" told me it was an IBM problem. It wasn't it was a Linksys problem and the IBM guy knew just how to fix it -- he didn't have to do that. I don't think you will get that kind of support with an HP.

When Mac upped to OSX and PC Exchange or whatever it was called would not let me assign Band-in-a-Box .sty files to Band-in-a-Box but instead they opened up another program, Mac tech support wouldn't help me, even though I was paying them extra for "professional" tech support. They said it was a BiaB problem and they wouldn't help with non-Apple programs. A query on a BiaB forum produced an answer from a Mac user who pointed me to a freeware program that allowed me to change the Mac file 'header'. Why didn't Apple tell me that?

The main thing I don't like about Macs are the Mac zealots, evangelists who want to convert everybody and bring them into the fold (of course, not every Mac user is like that, but too many are). As an owner or both, I can plainly state that Mac is not better than Windows, just different. As different as a Lincoln is to a Cadillac, but neither one is better. Pick your software first, and choose the OS that runs it better.

That's my take on the situation.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Try Option key and Drag... Should save you the clicks.

What AMAZES me about this thread is who the hell cares what anyone else is running besides themselves?!?!?

Tman, what do you have to gain by telling people that your PC that you spent hours configuring can match a mac? Or vice versa?Us

Use what works for you and what makes you happy. Your trash talk is sickening to me...

Its all f'n ego. Let it go and use your computer.

What AMAZES me about this thread is who the hell cares what anyone else is running besides themselves?!?!?

Tman, what do you have to gain by telling people that your PC that you spent hours configuring can match a mac? Or vice versa?Us

Use what works for you and what makes you happy. Your trash talk is sickening to me...

Its all f'n ego. Let it go and use your computer.

U mad bro?

Honestly I gain literally nothing. In case you've forgotten, this is the internet. No one gains/wins anything on the internet.

I've gained a lot via the net, and I only got online 18 months ago.....I'm won all kinds of stuff, and I work with musicians from around the world......

So, I've won and gained via the net.......

I've gained a lot via the net, and I only got online 18 months ago.....I'm won all kinds of stuff, and I work with musicians from around the world......

So, I've won and gained via the net.......

Me too Damian. The Internet offers the wonderful opportunity to connect with people from around the globe, which is very exciting :) I have made life long friends, gotten gigs and also had lots of fun thanks to this modern phenomenon.

Re Macs

I love them because everything to me seems so easy to use and almost like it is helping you. Everything is fast, efficient and the creative tools just jaw dropping. My personal experiences with PCs wasn't bad, but I can't see myself ever buying another one either.

Matt

I fully agree that the Web has been a wonderful addition to life nowadays - in ways. In ways it sometimes tends to take us away from reality, and that can be either and/or both good and bad.

The computer also is a marvelous tool that's only as productive as the person who uses it.

For example, my brother helps developers figure how to use AV stuff in Windows. But on his own time he does music, movies... creative stuff for himself.

I use my computers as tools at work, for writing personal stuff at home, to store lyrics for music, to practice guitar...

Frankly I chose early for the PC and DOS because it did what I needed at the time - 30 years ago - far better and more cost effectively than any other 16-bit option, including the Mac. But I've used both, and still do.

The weakness to working on multiple operating systems is what the guys have mentioned in that with the same software one tends to find "quick keys" differing.

I personally think the real problem beyond "what brand makes you happy for whatever your personal reasons might be" is that too many of "us" never really catch onto how one might use the computer as a metaphor for storage of "stuff" we create or appropriate into it.

But that's just me. I found that to be a major problem whether teaching people to use software on Macs or PCs. Some of us apparently find any sort of metaphor difficult to grasp and seem always to have problems with their machines and others find it more relatively simple. If the latter especially, then it's a matter of increasing one's own productivity. The "metaphorless" folks always find it more difficult.

For example, as I've said before, the hardest thing I had to teach on either system was the concept of file structures. Regardless that the Mac had "folders" from the beginning, the concept of "where is it?" was equally as difficult to catch onto as the old DOS mode of writing things with slashes that's "virtually" <grin> identical to our current Web address system.

m

Thank you. You have reached the end of this question and sometimes debate. The answer is conclusive

Shut up and play yer guitar!! except Notes has permission to blow the sax errrrr... make that play the sax

I fully agree that the Web has been a wonderful addition to life nowadays - in ways. In ways it sometimes tends to take us away from reality, and that can be either and/or both good and bad.

The computer also is a marvelous tool that's only as productive as the person who uses it.

For example, my brother helps developers figure how to use AV stuff in Windows. But on his own time he does music, movies... creative stuff for himself.

I use my computers as tools at work, for writing personal stuff at home, to store lyrics for music, to practice guitar...

Frankly I chose early for the PC and DOS because it did what I needed at the time - 30 years ago - far better and more cost effectively than any other 16-bit option, including the Mac. But I've used both, and still do.

The weakness to working on multiple operating systems is what the guys have mentioned in that with the same software one tends to find "quick keys" differing.

I personally think the real problem beyond "what brand makes you happy for whatever your personal reasons might be" is that too many of "us" never really catch onto how one might use the computer as a metaphor for storage of "stuff" we create or appropriate into it.

But that's just me. I found that to be a major problem whether teaching people to use software on Macs or PCs. Some of us apparently find any sort of metaphor difficult to grasp and seem always to have problems with their machines and others find it more relatively simple. If the latter especially, then it's a matter of increasing one's own productivity. The "metaphorless" folks always find it more difficult.

For example, as I've said before, the hardest thing I had to teach on either system was the concept of file structures. Regardless that the Mac had "folders" from the beginning, the concept of "where is it?" was equally as difficult to catch onto as the old DOS mode of writing things with slashes that's "virtually" <grin> identical to our current Web address system.

m

Hello, Fellow Babies,

Boy, have you got that right. "too many of "us" never really catch onto how one might use the computer as a metaphor for storage of "stuff" we create or appropriate into it." That is the hardest concept to convey. I thought I understood, but even after using computers for a hard fifteen years, I discovered gaps in my understanding of file management.

In art my experience and training was gained in the days before computers; so my early experience with computers was gained on the job using computers that were designed or programed for specific tasks like process cameras, and repro cameras. These complicated, computerized-machines and their programs were tended by armies of techies straight from the factories; and there was no thought or intention that the user/operator would ever probe the interior secrets of the program like memory storage. I wont dwell on the horrors of the eighties as computers bludgeoned their way into business, only to remark that the applications for general purpose computers were very few and very far between. The IBM business model wanted to sell to Fortune 500 corporations that could afford a Cray running maybe 100 data entry posts, with an air conditioned floor dedicated to computers, and an office staffed with programmers and IT. Everybody else scrambled to assemble mis-matched computers on a LAN; and had to hire programmers to custom design a professional program to suit the particular business' needs.

I will confess my preference for Mac. Although I've used IBM and Bill Gates products stuff for years, I got really frustrated because each program required me to learn a new set of unrelated, gibberish commands. So many questions: too much confusion. And we were little operators, and couldn't justify the cost to have full-time tech support. I have spent way too many hours trying to solve computer problems with clients breathing down my neck. By agreement, all the companies building programs for Mac design the interface such that menu commands all follow the same format Apple, App Name, File, Edit, etc. all headings with a similar grouping of commands and tools. I can start using a new Mac program, and I already where common tools and functions can be found.

Before 1984 there were very &@#*#^) few professional programs available for any function, game or profession use. All of the people using computers I had encountered up till that time ****had to write their own programs*****, so they were very simple, hard to manage, and rendered results that were visually unexciting. In particular I recall several contracts my brother got **** re-doing**** education films for the DoD about certain classified systems because DoD officials were very disappointed with the work done by previous contractors using poorly designed computer programs of the time. We were still using traditional film in our studio.

Simple systems were ruined by adding a computer where it wasn't needed. People who've worked in a dark room or print shop will remember how simple it was to us an enlarger or repro camera before computers. When I designed an advertising page for reproduction, I rarely had to measure, because you could just assemble the art and print elements on the fly - like improvising on the guitar, it gets better and easier with experience. But once they computerized the camera you couldn't get anything till you decided on a size and entered it into the computer. But after that your freedom was gone, now you were forced to measure every next element from the first element. This added a lot more time required to do the job. It really wasn't until advanced programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Light Wave, and Maya and powerful computers were available to the general public that totally electronic art production that rendered a good professional image was possible.

I spent the years from about 1986 to 1997 hating computers-of every kind. Not trying to be a smart@$$, but My brother and I really had to teach ourselves to use computers. We were already committed, as we had opened our film production studio in 1975. We had rent, bank loans, employees, and contracts, we were a ***film studio****, but we wanted to stay in business. I loved film; and during those years, the image quality of electronic graphic art really sucked. I already knew how to use traditional art tools, and I still hate to think of the hours I sweated over trying to produce a quality visual product while trying to decipher the thousands of obscure instructions needed to operate the computer program. For those of you familiar with Photoshop, Take a gander sometime at the menus and tools for Light Wave --it's Photoshop on steroids.

When I first started with my own computer, you'd have laughed. I thought all I had to to save my work was to press Command+S.... "But, Overtherainbo, where did it go? Where is it now ?" But I finally realized that after nearly 14 years experience, I still did not really understand the directory until we began using Light Wave. Man, if you lose a memory file because it was misplaced, mis-spelled, or the link gets broken.... you are officially screwed, and you better get outta State before management finds you...

any one running pro tools 8 with win 7 64? i am getting issues..gonna get pro tool 9 next week..i want to spend more time recording rather than messing round with keeping sound clean ..

I know folks who use ProTools....8 and 9....Most ProTool users I know always upgrade quickly.......

I know folks who use ProTools....8 and 9....Most ProTool users I know always upgrade quickly.......

i am starting to see y i went and got lovely new fast computer now pro tools 8 decided its really not happy operating in a 64 bit OS...fortunately i can get academic version and upgrade really cheap for pro tools 9..i love music but u got to pay to play eh?

i am starting to see y i went and got lovely new fast computer now pro tools 8 decided its really not happy operating in a 64 bit OS...fortunately i can get academic version and upgrade really cheap for pro tools 9..i love music but u got to pay to play eh?

Especially in home recording........:unsure: [crying][blink] .....

I'm using a MAC. I running on Snow Leopard. I don't think I'm going to upgrade to Lion though. I have some hardware that I was lucky to get the drivers to up grade those to Snow Leopard. May not be so lucky with Lion.

yeah u got to have the tools .. i have laid out quite a bit but its a creative drive and you can do alot these days with digital technology in home studio ...but yeah it gets pricey

Since you do home recording, there's a site called RECORDING REVIEW run by Brandon Duroy you might check out.....There are some real music engineers on there,

and some mid level guys like me, and noobs as well.....Heck, one guy has $12,000.00 in "plugins" alone invested in his studio....On the COCKOS forum, ( REAPER ),

there's a thread (stopped, but always there) called, " Why do my recordings sound like *** ? " It reads like a book, and is available for free as a PDF file....I consider it a

"must read" for learning, reference, and it's great for noobs AND pros.......

Since you do home recording, there's a site called RECORDING REVIEW run by Brandon Duroy you might check out.....There are some real music engineers on there,

and some mid level guys like me, and noobs as well.....Heck, one guy has $12,000.00 in "plugins" alone invested in his studio....On the COCKOS forum, ( REAPER ),

there's a thread (stopped, but always there) called, " Why do my recordings sound like *** ? " It reads like a book, and is available for free as a PDF file....I consider it a

"must read" for learning, reference, and it's great for noobs AND pros.......

cheers thanx for that i will check it out..there is so much to recording so much to learn..i start to appreciate just how much knowledge recording engineers have..

when you hear the amazing tone some bands have then really look at how its done you start to realise how must cost effort and expertise has gone into it...

home recording is great for exploring ideas but i have got a lot to learn and upgrade..i am aiming to get to a project studio level eventually though it will cost a lot,,i will just aim to keep learning and improving and exploring creative ideas with the music

Archived